Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Suefan
The Rubberband Man wrote
Do the two songs sound the same and is it right, in the wider context, that a succession of notes played in a particular order can only belong to one person?
If the question is do the two songs sound the same throughout then they clearly don't, but then I doubt if that is the benchmark.

There is an important similarity in what is the key part of both refrains, and that probably also played a part in helping to determine the case.  A fine of only $1.6m seems indicative that the court agreed with the view that it was a subconscious mimic rather than a deliberate lift.

As for the wider context question I'm not sure this is really the best instance from which to build an argument for the abandoning of copyright, a principle on which so much creative endeavour relies.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Im very much a Beatles fan, so ive always found it hard over the years to be impartial on the MSL/HSF comparison. But ive never found HSF to be anything like MSL in any way shape or form.
Nor me. I think George sealed his fate by saying (generously imo) he might have been subconsciously influenced by it. Sadly, just shows what happens if you're too honest. He should have just laughed them out of court. I think there was a similar case last year when somebody claimed Led Zepplin had ripped off one of his songs decades ago. He lost. That Chiffons song just sounds like generic 60s girl group pop to me, indistinguishable from Crystals, Ronettes etc.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

MADMAX
Trifecta for me, First time!!  Great music.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

The Rubberband Man
Interesting comments guys. The production style of MSL is vastly superior to HSL and even if there are similar chord structures the two songs sound different, and at the end of the day, MSL is vastly the better record.

There's actually a more obvious bit of paguirism in MSL.... The music for the Hallelujah/Hare Krishna bit is a direct lift from Oh Happy Day, and nobody seemed to mind about that.

George Harrison is a very gracious man, and he and The Beatles didn't take The Jam to court over the similarity between "Start" and "Taxman". If artists were to sue every time someone makes a record that sounds similar to one they wrote, the whole Country & Western genre would be in eternal litigation.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

ive never found HSF to be anything like MSL in any way shape or form.
Can't agree there. I'm startled at how much HSF sounds like the poppy precursor of MSL. MSL is much superior but it seems obvious to me that it owed a big debt.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

VintageVideos
Thanks GD. I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt that the two songs were very similar in a large part.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

The Rubberband Man wrote
If artists were to sue every time someone makes a record that sounds similar to one they wrote, the whole Country & Western genre would be in eternal litigation.
Good

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

PattiforPM
You guys are a bit mean to C&W.  I like some of it.  I agree that George Harrison wore a little chiffon BTW

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Old Grey Whistler
Yeah I like C & W as well but I'm used to people being mean about artists I like - Kenny Rogers, Huey Lewis ...!
I might start making rude comments about Gary Numan and John Foxx.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

PattiforPM wrote
I agree that George Harrison wore a little chiffon BTW
Thats just about it, 'a little`. Certainly nowhere near enough Chiffon to 100% say he nicked the tune from them. I think the judge was on an earner, either that or he was tone deaf.

Ive just asked my son whos also a Beatles fan to play `Hes So Fine` and asked him if it reminded him of any Beatles solo records. A resounding no was his answer.

Anyway, i respect the fact that some on here, like the judge and the legal bigwigs in the case can hear a distinction.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Old Grey Whistler wrote
I might start making rude comments about Gary Numan and John Foxx.
Sadly for both of us, in the case of Mr Foxx you'll have to wait a very long time until we get round to voting on our three favourite Number 31 singles from 1980.

In the short term I look forward to a strong showing from a double-handed Mr Numan in 79.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Who's That Hurll
1. Hot Love  2.  My Sweet Lord  3. I'm Still Waiting

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I'm glad I wasnt the only person to vote for the Magnificent W O O O....I also voted for Slade and the winner, but I was surprised at the victory margin. It's not even my favourite Harrison song. All Those Years Ago gets that accolade.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Classic gunfight at the OFTDs corral lads

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Ive just asked my son whos also a Beatles fan to play `Hes So Fine` and asked him if it reminded him of any Beatles solo records. A resounding no was his answer.
If I hadn't read about it I would never ever have made any link between the 2 songs. I would never have personally made the link between Men at Work's Land Down Under and the old trad song about a Kookaburra, but the legal case wiped the poor Aussie's out I believe.

The only 2 songs I have ever personally connected with no outside influences working on me, are Canned Heat's Lets Work Together and Bryan Ferry's Lets Stick Together, and I know nothing about any story here, but I would hazard a guess that this one is such a blatant rip-off that Ferry sought permission first?
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

No doubt who Data will be gunning for where his fellow android Numan is concerned!