Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

This is the 28th of our `Tuesday to Friday polls` in which we vote on our favourite UK number one singles from the golden years of pop, 1960 to 1989. Your task is to decide which 'three' are your favourites from each given year.

Remember that you must select all '3' favourite choices in one go, you cannot vote for one or two then vote again for your third.
The poll ends Firday at 8.00pm. This is a hidden poll and the result will automatically be revealed at the end of the poll. You must be logged-in to vote.
THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.
You can select up to 3 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

Another decent year, though i found the process of whittling it down to three to be quite simple.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

PattiforPM
I totally agree

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

The Rubberband Man
All of 1974's compressed into 100 seconds, courtesy of Bob Borst :-

http://d1pop96i45smdf.cloudfront.net/popculture/medley/final/uk/year/1974.mp3

I've found this compilation to be especially useful for this year.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

 A very interesting and curious year with many very good 'chart toppers' but a general lessening of quality to earlier years, I feel. Perhaps bringing to an end the golden age of chart music, in my opinion. And one very famous and well-renowned song that launched a phenomenon- which I have decided not to go for.
  There were about 6 of these hits that I pondered over, but in the end I have chosen the Melanie coverists, Prince Charles' favourite threesome- allegedly; and the man who would later become Che.
  Interestingly enough, Pan's People performed routines to two of these, which are still available for my- and our-  delectation and delight.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Probably my favourite year so far. I went for a Glam Rocker first and foremost, followed by a Euro-crooner, and an American folkster.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

Not really a vintage year, but some decent No:1s all the same. I chose three from the latter part of the year and none had anything to do with glam-rock which I thought was starting to look very tired. My first is a love poem set to music, my second a casting couch promise, and my third a slice of melodic soul sung with passion by a fifteen year old vocalist who died far too soon.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

Tough call for me, will need some thinking time. I was turning eight and I have more memory associations than specific music interest knowledge of the year, so emotional choice may prevail more so than in later years when I followed music more or in previous years where I've retrospectively formed an opinion. Consequently, I like most of these for differing reasons.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

A interesting year for number one. So I've chosen the only girl in glam rock. The second will be a battle in 1815 and last of all Barry white. And the first version by our ladies.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

Old Grey Whistler
I think this was possibly the worst year of the 1970's. There are some decent songs amongst this lot but none that really grab me as being an automatic pick. Nevertheless my votes are cast.
I'll bet our Canadian correspondent has voted for a certain blonde bespectacled chap.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

PattiforPM
Once again he has been inexplicably passed over OGW

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

CoffeeThing
Okay voted, slept on it and had sweet dreams about the 38th State and then Jacked it in.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

Gorgeous Daze
With the obvious exception of the last one this lot currently works very well as a playlist in this heatwave. Filtered memories evoked from years where summers were always golden, I suppose.

It came down to about six, and again there are no three set in stone. I finally selected a lady underneath two domes, a code I couldn't crack, and a song that always brings back fond memories of childhood parties.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

VintageVideos
I picked the three great soul/disco numbers from the year when glam rock started to die and disco began kicking in.

I was impressed to discover that Sad Sweet Dreamer was written by Ryan's old friend David Parton.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

The Rubberband Man
After much deliberation, it's come down to this :-

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

The Streak brings back memories.People streaking were on the TV and in the papers.I've just seen a piece in the Daily Mirror archives from 1974 of a streaker in rainy Manchester.He managed to get almost £80 for charity.Care-free days eh?Where have they gone?

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

Thanks for the refresher TRBM.  Two here from the car karaoke, although I never attempt one of the accents, and a train station.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

PattiforPM
In my mind's eye you're belting out Sugar Baby Love on the M6 SF

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1974.

Suefan wrote
Thanks for the refresher TRBM.  Two here from the car karaoke, although I never attempt one of the accents, and a train station.
 "Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"
123