Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

AC/PD
Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
"IF" only.....
Someone chose the Telly!

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

The Rubberband Man
I voted Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel, Bowie and Queen.
The winner is a surprise to me as well.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

AC/PD
My selections were Cockney Rebel, 10cc and Bowie with five others up for consideration.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Thanks for the link Ryan.  I do now vaguely recall the number from the relatively recent TOTP repeats.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Heres a good clear YT version of 10CC performing the track. I think this is from Dutch TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki78MK9JywE

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Legsfan
I voted for David Bowie, Bay City Rollers and The Stylistics.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

PattiforPM
It was the Quo, Cockney Rebel and Queen for me.  Bohemian Rhapsody is a total classic in my book and Wayne's World just cemented it in my psyche.  10cc is a classic too and very good indeed I think but was one of the 2/5 I dismissed to get to my final 3.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

VintageVideos
I voted for the Quo, Typically Tropical and Art Garfunkel. Almost voted for 10cc as this is a real classic and a groundbreaking record which still sounds great today. However, the whole of its six minutes can be a bit tiring especially when you've heard it ever so often (the same could be said about Queen). But all in all I'm rather pleased that it has won the poll.
Even though I stated in my original post that I simply picked my favourite Pan's routines, it's more or less just coincidence that my three picks were danced to by my fave troupe. Unlike most members here, I love the Art Garfunkel song (and the original Pan's dance to it).

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

PattiforPM
Wow Vin, I was convinced you had voted for Bowie or the Stylistics as your third Pans Dance but I guess their first bite at IOHEFY was quite good and I agree the song is pretty good too

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Everything'sRosie
I went with 10cc, Cockney Rebel, Stylistics. The latter two are both fantastic pop records which sound as great today as they did back then. But the 10cc record is legendary. An anthem in self-denial. The same theme has been visited many times since (John Waite's Missing You on the TotPs repeats last year, for instance) but never have the tortured foibles of love ever been so evocatively committed to the parameters of a pop song as they were in this Gouldman/Stewart composition.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Heres a good clear YT version of 10CC performing the track. I think this is from Dutch TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki78MK9JywE
Thats from the Xmas TOTPs Ryan, the Tony and Noel edition.

I went with the quo, 10cc and queen. Had i had a forth vote i would have probably gone for stylistics or the tymes.

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

MADMAX
The list of tracks were interesting , some of them I was surprised they were even there, but there you go. The scoring was interesting to, I think out of that list the best came out on top. 10cc were a great group, had some good stuff.    My vote were ,    10cc ,   Queen ,   Stewart           Cheers,

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Who's That Hurll
1. David Bowie 2. Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel 3. Mud

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

SuPaLu
Glad 10cc won,also glad i wasn't the only one to vote for Bye Bye Baby.

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

VintageVideos
Now here's a little bonus question for you:
How many of these records also made it to No. 1 in the US (Billboard)?

Without checking I'm guessing none. I know I'm Not In Love peaked at No 2. Bohemian Rhapsody only became famous over there years later, probably because of Wayne's World.

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

VintageVideos
Yes, "none" is correct. Here are the Billboard peak positions of all the UK No. 1's of 1975:

Status Quo - Down Down did not chart
Tymes - Ms Grace No. 91
Pilot - January No. 87
Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel - Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me) No. 96
Telly Savalas - If did not chart
Bay City Rollers - Bye Bye Baby did not chart
Mud - Oh Boy did not chart
Tammy Wynette - Stand By Your Man No. 19 (1969)
Windsor Davies and Don Estelle - Whispering Grass did not chart
10cc - I'm Not In Love No. 2
Johnny Nash - Tears On My Pillow did not chart
Bay City Rollers - Give A Little Love did not chart
Typically Tropical - Barbados No. 108
Stylistics - Can't Give You Anything (But My Love) No. 51
Rod Stewart - Sailing No. 58
David Essex - Hold Me Close did not chart
Art Garfunkel - I Only Have Eyes For You No. 18
David Bowie - Space Oddity No. 124 (1969), No. 15 (1973)
Billy Connolly - D.I.V.O.R.C.E. did not chart
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody No. 9 (1976), No. 2 (1992)

So half of the songs did not even make the US Hot 100, of the remaining half 5 did not reach the Top 50, and only two made the Top 10. I'm Not In Love, as you mentioned, peaked at No. 2 for three weeks behind three different No. 1's (!).

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Everything'sRosie
An interesting list. I was surprised BR made the Top Ten back in 76, I thought Queen only became popular over there in the 80s. Just shows there are fundamental differences in taste between the US and Europe, outside mega stars such as Beatles, Stones, Elton etc. I think British rock has always sold well over there though, but mostly albums.

Do you have at hand those three records which prevented 10cc getting to the top, Vin. I'd be interested to know. Thanks.

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Everything'sRosie wrote
Do you have at hand those three records which prevented 10cc getting to the top, Vin. I'd be interested to know. Thanks.
Yes im really surprised by Vin's list. Id have thought Miss Tammy Wynette for example would have faired better than just No 19 in the US chart.

Heres another ask for you Vin, could you supply a listing of the US Billboard number ones from 1975. I wonder which US number one charted the highest in the UK ?

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I would have put money on Ms Grace being Top 10 on the Billboard, its just got that sound US audiences seemed to love in the 70s, quite shocked.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!
1234