Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I am really surprised at the winner of the poll, I made Bo Rhap a hot favourite with Bowie a close 2nd favourite and any price the rest. Personally I discounted Space Oddity as to me it is a 60s track. I voted for Telly, Totally Tropical, and David Essex - I am amazed that Dave didn't garner more than my solitary vote, but equally amazed that I wasn't alone in going to Barbados! If I had to vote for one it would have been Telly, a beautiful Bread song which somehow just went well with Telly's basso profundo speech-singing.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Everything'sRosie wrote
Do you have at hand those three records which prevented 10cc getting to the top, Vin. I'd be interested to know. Thanks.
w/e July 26, 1975: The Hustle - Van McCoy & The Soul City Symphony
w/e August 2, 1975: One Of These Nights - Eagles
w/e August 9, 1975: Jive Talkin' - Bee Gees

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Everything'sRosie
Thanks, Vin. So all 3 respectable. And so The Bee Gees invasion of America begins...

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Heres another ask for you Vin, could you supply a listing of the US Billboard number ones from 1975. I wonder which US number one charted the highest in the UK ?
Date Artist - Title Weeks at #1

December 29 1974 – January 11 1975 Elton John - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds 2
January 12 – 18 1975 Barry Manilow - Mandy 1
January 19 – 25 1975 Carpenters - Please Mr. Postman 1
January 26 – February 1 1975 Neil Sedaka - Laughter In The Rain 1
February 2 – 8 1975 Ohio Players - Fire 1
February 9 – 15 1975 Linda Ronstadt - You're No Good 1
February 16 – 22 1975 Average White Band - Pick Up The Pieces 1
February 23 – March 1 1975 Eagles - Best Of My Love 1
March 2 – 8 1975 Olivia Newton-John - Have You Never Been Mellow 1
March 9 – 15 1975 Doobie Brothers - Black Water 1
March 16 – 22 1975 Frankie Valli - My Eyes Adored You 1
March 23 – 29 1975 Labelle - Lady Marmalade 1
March 30 – April 5 1975 Minnie Riperton - Lovin' You 1
April 6 – 19 1975 Elton John - Philadelphia Freedom 2
April 20 – 26 1975 B.J. Thomas - (Hey Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song 1
April 27 – May 17 1975 Tony Orlando and Dawn - He Don't Love You (Like I Love You) 3
May 18 – 24 1975 Earth, Wind and Fire - Shining Star 1
May 25 – 31 1975 Freddy Fender - Before The Next Teardrop Falls 1
June 1 – 7 1975 John Denver - Thank God I'm A Country Boy 1
June 8 – 14 1975 America - Sister Golden Hair 1
June 15 – July 12 1975 Captain and Tennille - Love Will Keep Us Together 4
July 13 – 19 1975 Paul McCartney and Wings - Listen to What the Man Said 1
July 20 – 26 1975 Van McCoy - The Hustle 1
July 27 – August 2 1975 Eagles - One Of These Nights 1
August 3 – 16 1975 Bee Gees - Jive Talkin' 2
August 17 – 23 1975 Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds - Fallin' In Love 1
August 24 – 30 1975 KC and the Sunshine Band - Get Down Tonight 1
August 31 – September 13 1975 Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy 2
September 14 – 20 1975 David Bowie - Fame 2 (1)
September 21 – 27 1975 John Denver - I'm Sorry 1
September 28 – October 4 1975 David Bowie - Fame 2 (1)
October 5 – 25 1975 Neil Sedaka - Bad Blood 3
October 26 – November 15 1975 Elton John - Island Girl 3
November 16 – 22 1975 KC and the Sunshine Band - That's The Way (I Like It) 2 (1)
November 23 – December 13 1975 Silver Convention - Fly Robin Fly 3
December 14 – 20 1975 KC and the Sunshine Band - That's The Way (I Like It) 2 (1)
December 21 – 27 1975 Staple Singers - Let's Do It Again 1
December 28 1975 – January 3 1976 Bay City Rollers - Saturday Night 1

Taken from http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/number-one-songs-by-year/?y=1975; the same list can also be found on wikipedia.

Both the Carpenters and Minnie Riperton peaked at No. 2 in the UK.

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
I would have put money on Ms Grace being Top 10 on the Billboard, its just got that sound US audiences seemed to love in the 70s, quite shocked.
'Trustmaker' fared much better in the US, peaking at #12 (#18 in the UK). I guess Ms Grace was just too poppy for black audiences (just like the Stylistics lost their popularity in the US at the same time when they became really big in the UK).

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Gosh 37 number one's Stateside in 1975. Glad i didn't have to create a poll for that little lot.

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

PattiforPM
How interesting to see the major difference in the charts.  It must be mainly taste I guess but is it also to do with how the Charts are compiled?  One thing I've always liked about the Billboard Chart is that the States is much less prone to the goofy #1s like Whispering Grass, Billy's DIVORCE and (forgive me RNOF) Telly's If so they must be doing something right

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

PattiforPM
Oh dear I just spotted Thank God I'm a Country Boy by OGW's favourite singer

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Old Grey Whistler
My votes went to Queen, 10CC  and Rod Stewart. Would probably have voted for Bohemian Rhapsody as my all time favourite in the final poll. Just hope that my second favourite doesn't lose as well.

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

PattiforPM wrote
Oh dear I just spotted Thank God I'm a Country Boy by OGW's favourite singer
I thought John Denver - I'm Sorry - was just him making a statement about his career

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
PattiforPM wrote
How interesting to see the major difference in the charts.  It must be mainly taste I guess but is it also to do with how the Charts are compiled?  One thing I've always liked about the Billboard Chart is that the States is much less prone to the goofy #1s like Whispering Grass, Billy's DIVORCE and (forgive me RNOF) Telly's If so they must be doing something right
I agree, but I think the flip side of the same coin is that US audiences do seem to prefer Middle-of-the-road stuff. Very conservative I would say, with a small "c".
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Old Grey Whistler wrote
I thought John Denver - I'm Sorry - was just him making a statement about his career
I always preferred the other side of this double A sided single, "Calypso". Maybe because of the yodelling
This was JD's last substantial hit in the US.

I hate yodeling but liked Jacques Cousteau

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Everything'sRosie
I find that Billboard list fascinating. I always thought Number Ones stayed around a lot longer in the States. Three chart-toppers for Elton John, and I never realised KC and The Sunshine Band were so big, but what made my jaw drop was the final entry on the list. The two BCRs Number Ones on the UK chart didn't chart in the US, yet there they are at Number One in the states with a song I'd never heard of. What!!!!

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

My votes went to 10cc, Bowie, and Pilot who was on the first two Kate Albums.

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Its interesting that the KC hits charted some months after the UK you would have thought it would be the other way around. Also great that The Hustle got to number one, shame it didn't happen here.

Bohemian Rhapsody kept Greg Lake off the number one, also Hot Chocolate, Sailor and bizarrely Laurel and Hardy

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Quite excited as to what tonights year os going to be!

Just a question Ryan....what will you do incase of a tie? Run a 24 hour tiebreaker? Or let both songs go through to the end-of-comp yearly winner vote off?
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1975.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
Just a question Ryan....what will you do incase of a tie? Run a 24 hour tiebreaker?
Thats exactly what i will do and if thats still a tie, a sudden death poll lasting a couple of hours. All bases are covered.

A new poll will be launched this evening from one of the remaining 29 years.