Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981.

Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981.

This is the 26th of our `Tuesday to Friday polls` (though this week its Wed to Sun) in which we vote on our favourite UK number one singles from the golden years of pop, 1960 to 1989. Your task is to decide which 'three' are your favourites from each given year.

Remember that you must select all '3' favourite choices in one go, you cannot vote for one or two then vote again for your third.
The poll ends Sunday at 8.15 pm. This is a hidden poll and the result will automatically be revealed at the end of the poll. You must be logged-in to vote.
THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981.
You can select up to 3 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

PattiforPM
OGW you're not allowed to vote for Julio

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

Well ive voted for a very eclectic mix indeed. One was simply nailed on, but there would have been no way i would have admitted to liking the other two back in the day. But thats just it, i only really like them due to the BBC4 repeats which for me gave them a new lease of life.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

PattiforPM
You can take the man out of the Dammers but....

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

Legsfan
My favourite year.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

PattiforPM wrote
OGW you're not allowed to vote for Julio
I probably won't be giving Julio my vote but I haven't yet ruled out Joe!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

VintageVideos
Quite a lot of old songs got to No. 1 in 1981. I've counted at least eight of them.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

The Rubberband Man
Another good year with some good strong contenders to consider.

Here's help from Bob Borst's medley, with a warning that the first segment you hear (the 1980 Christmas #1) may cause some distress

http://d1pop96i45smdf.cloudfront.net/popculture/medley/final/uk/year/1981.mp3

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

A very polarising year, politically, if I remember rightly. I was probably on strike a few times, or locked out on others, working for the Royal Mail in those days.
 Musically, a feel there were a couple of outstanding number 1s, and some other very memorable top hits in a fairly good year. From these, I have chosen a Song for the Season- if you can remember some of the most news worthy events of that year, a paean to Claude Duval and a posthumous call for tolerance.
 1981 still has the feel of the late 70s to me, before the reality of the real 80s kicks in.
( Already looking forward to next week's poll, the 60s again!! Will it be 1965 or 1969? )

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

Everything'sRosie
One record immediately jumps out at me, and is, indeed, often cited as one of the greatest records ever. And I'm not referring to the one from 1971.

I'm guessing it will be a runaway winner here and it might just be a case of repeating Sir Peter O'Sullevan's legendary Shergar line...you need binoculars to see the rest!

Having said that, the good folks at OFTDs have surprised me before.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

Hanway2 wrote
 1981 still has the feel of the late 70s to me, before the reality of the real 80s kicks in.
I agree, good call that.

Hanway2 wrote
( Already looking forward to next week's poll, the 60s again!! Will it be 1965 or 1969? )
Yes the years left are 1965, 1969, 1974 and 1985, i will keep you guessing on which 60's year is coming next time. Ive been presenting these in the order of 70s' 80's 60's. But for the final week when that comes around i will be doing 1985. As that year will be fresh in our memories due to the recent TOTPs re-runs. So it will go 60's 70's 60' and finishing with 1985.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

Unlike 1980 you can see the scene shifting this year and I think it definitely feels more eighties than seventies. It's another of my favourite years and though there are a few more I can quickly dismiss than in 79 it again won't be an easy decision to settle on a top three.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

The Rubberband Man
My votes go to :-

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Unlike 1980 you can see the scene shifting this year
True, but having Legs & Co still around in this year did feel like the last lingering touch of the previous decade. Also for me in 81 the Hurll inspired party atmos hadn't yet really kicked in, although they tried. The audiences still looked like they should have been doing their homework instead. I reckon the 80s kicked in with the advent of Yellow Pearl in early 82 when the average audience age somehow appeared to change from about 16 to 18+.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Hanway2 wrote
 a paean to Claude Duval
I trust you are referring to the original Claude, and not the erstwhile racing correspondent of your Soaraway Sun, aka the Punters' Pal!

Anyway I went for a Eurocrooner, a Northern Soul rehash, and the winner
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

Old Grey Whistler
I think I know what will win this and I haven't voted for it. I do think that one of my choices might make the top three however.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

Legsfan
I wonder if the result will be the same as this.
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/your-3-fav-1981-number-ones-as-shown-on-31-12-81-td4120333.html

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

I will let you decide which Claude is the hero of that song!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
Anyway I went for a Eurocrooner, a Northern Soul rehash, and the winner
That's just two songs, what's the third?

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1981. (ENDS SUNDAY 8.15pm)

Legsfan wrote
I wonder if the result will be the same as this.
 Well noticed LF but I doubt the result will be the same.  For example I see I voted differently this time in one instance at least