Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

The Rubberband Man
The Rubberband Man wrote

I voted for Kraftwerk - The Model, The Jam - Town Called Malice, and The Jam - Beat Surrender, so two out of three ain't bad. "Beat Surrender" is far from the glory days of The Jam, but it sure beats the heck out of some of the other #1's from 1982.

Kraftwerk's "The Model" was the first German record to top the UK chart, and was way ahead of it's time - nothing else in the charts sounded anything like it which makes it a deserved winner in this poll.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

Everything'sRosie
I'm not surprised by the top two, and I voted for both. The shared third place threw me though, possibly because I detested both records. My own third choice was Culture Club. Like him or loathe him, "the boy" had a fine voice.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

Gorgeous Daze
A fairly unexpected and pleasing success for my top choice.

I think The Model sounds a little too pure for 82, and indeed it's from the 78 album The Man Machine and very cutting edge. I do wonder though if it would have prevailed in its year of origin up against the likes of Wuthering Heights, Take A Chance On Me and Night Fever providing I suspect even stiffer competition.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

Legsfan
I voted for Kraftwerk, Eddy Grant and Renee & Renato.

Ah, I was wondering where the Save Your Love votes came from. One has now been revealed.  Now to track down the Charlene fans...

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

The Rubberband Man wrote
I voted for Kraftwerk - The Model, The Jam - Town Called Malice, and The Jam - Beat Surrender, so two out of three ain't bad. "Beat Surrender" is far from the glory days of The Jam, but it sure beats the heck out of some of the other #1's from 1982.
+1

Besides, the 12" single of "Beat Surrender" featured four other tracks which were quite good to excellent. The flipside showed PW's soulful side with covers of "War", "Move On Up" and "Stoned Out Of My Mind". SOOMM is even better than the original IMO. And "Shopping" is nothing short of a masterpiece.
I concur in the opinion that The Jam were past their peak in 1982 (which for me was 1980's Sound Affects), but most other bands could only dream of having a single track of the quality of their farewell single.

The Rubberband Man wrote
Kraftwerk's "The Model" was the first German record to top the UK chart, and was way ahead of it's time - nothing else in the charts sounded anything like it which makes it a deserved winner in this poll.
Even more ahead of its time when you consider that it was already 4 years old. But I think that their success in 1982 is - at least partly - owed to bands like The Human League and OMD who, if I remember correctly, cited Kraftwerk as one of their idols. The electronic sound was now much more 'in' than it was in 1978 when punk and disco ruled the airwaves.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

Everything'sRosie wrote
Ah, I was wondering where the Save Your Love votes came from. One has now been revealed.  Now to track down the Charlene fans...
Wonder no more.  A spot of R&R was my runaway favourite from this selection.  Indeed, had it been within the rules, I wouldn't have bothered voting for any of the others.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

Suefan wrote
With a singalong to SYL having helped pass many a motorway mile making the final selection was the easy part.
Chuckles to ones self picturing SF in singing mode.
SF only sings when in the car, when he has a captive audience.  Next performance... somewhere on the M6 in three hours time!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

Lee A
I went for
Town Called Malice / Precious
Goody Two Shoes
Pass The Dutchie
So many to chose from, but not the likes of Charlene, Survivor, or Renne & Renato - all no-no's!
When I was 16 I made a 1982 compilation tape; it opened with Pass The Dutchie and was followed by Precious. Goody Two Shoes was on there (so was Come On Eileen!) The rest was tracks by Simple Minds, Visage, OMD, Madness, Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet and many more...

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

I'm currently singing a bawdy music hall number I composed called the Duchess of Sussex.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

PattiforPM
Kraftwerk, Survivor and Culture Club for me and I'm totally with Ryan on the 1982 vintage Jam (but I will give the Vin advice a good listen, thanks).  Dexys were my #4 and, yes, Charlene #5

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I thought the winner was a certainty given the penchant for Europop of a large portion of the voting base. I was surprised by the placed horses though, I went for Ebony and Ivory (which I rate a pop classic, amazed at its low polling) and Fame, which I think is one of the best pop songs ever, fancy that only getting 4 votes! I did vote for the winner too.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

I maybe should have thought more about Fame as you say RNOF but Ebony and Ivory leaves me stone cold I'm afraid

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
It's the different opinions that make it interesting P4PM
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Typing that reply I've had a random thought....Isnt it odd how I've always been RNOF not RN1F, but youve always been P4PM not PFPM.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

Gorgeous Daze
Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
RN1F is far too much like half a car reg!  And I guess 4 in place of for is a more commonly used abbreviation than 1 for one, if I'm not behind the trends.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

PattiforPM
I can't recall who first wrote P4PM but it has certainly stuck.  I am quite open to the PFPM also and have seen it once or twice I think.  I would remind people that it stands for Prime Minister (and not night time!) as my first avatar on here many years ago was:

That's just the way it rolls on O4TD's.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

PattiforPM
or is that 14TDs?

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1982.

AC/PD
Sounds like a ditloid.
123