Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

This is the final poll in our `Tuesday to Friday polls` in which we vote on our favourite UK number one singles from the golden years of pop, 1960 to 1989. Your task is to decide which 'three' are your favourites from each given year.

Remember that you must select all '3' favourite choices in one go, you cannot vote for one or two then vote again for your third.
The poll ends Firday at 7.45pm. This is a hidden poll and the result will automatically be revealed at the end of the poll. You must be logged-in to vote.
THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.
You can select up to 3 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

Well i wish i could say i've left the best till last, but looking at the list that evidently isn't the case. It was a struggle but i've managed to cobble three together that i can bear, let alone favour.

I think we've been rather spoiled the past two weeks with a pair of classic years.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

The Rubberband Man
Here’s a link to Bob Borst’s 1985 medley (we’re skipping the first song as it’s really a 1984 #1):-
http://d1pop96i45smdf.cloudfront.net/popculture/medley/final/uk/year/1985.mp3

Just a note about Bob Borst, whose #1 .mp3 compilations have been so useful and appreciated as a memory jogger over the past number of weeks. Bob sadly passed away just a few days before Ryan started running the polls on Dec 21, 2017 aged 53. Bobborst.com was a project he ran from his home in Ithaca, New York, so he could share his love for pop culture with others over the world wide web. RIP

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

Not such a bad year i think.I've gone for three slow soppy songs.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

Gorgeous Daze
Possibly the worst field of the eighties, I can only summon no more than mild enthusiasm for my favourite out of them, let alone the rest.

A sad final twist regarding Bob Borst RBM. Great that his flame has burned on for the benefit of us and doubtless many others.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
Yup, a terrible year for number ones: only one natural choice for me, so I had to add two "don't minds".
You've all done vey well!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I think this is the best year for very good number ones, so good I've had to leave Phyllis Nelson out, even though her song must be in my all time top 30.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

PattiforPM
I'm on the not a great year side of the debate and need a bit of time in my thinking cap

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

Who's That Hurll
So we have come to the end of Ryan's groovy, year by year number one polls. He's been saving 1985 until last and as we've just seen that on BBC4, it shouldn't be too hard to pick three.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

 1985.   The last of  these yearly polls for our favourite number 1. These I have thoroughly enjoyed getting involved in despite the fact I missed the early ones as I did not join the Forum in time, my first one being, I think, 1967 back in February. I feel they have brought us closer together as we get to choose and discuss what number 1 singles we do or do not like for each given year.
  The candidates for this year of 1985 are a very mixed bunch, Charity records, cover versions- some of which are quite terrible, I’m looking at you Mick and Dave, and a hodgepodge of others, DJs etc. Not the worst of the 1980s for me, but a much lower standard than last week for example. And not many that really stand out for the plucking.
So, with that in mind I have gone for an Anglo-Scottish Co-operative, a real Heidi and the possible wrestling hold. ( Struggling to think of a good clue for the last one ).
Anyway, looking forward to getting my teeth into whatever Ryan provides us with for next week. Will it be the yearly winners of a specific decade - or a surprise? We shall see.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

AC/PD
Hanway2 wrote
 The candidates for this year of 1985 are a very mixed bunch, Charity records, cover versions- some of which are quite terrible, I’m looking at you Mick and Dave, and a hodgepodge of others, DJs etc. Not the worst of the 1980s for me...
Fully concurred, Hanway.

It's only the love ballads which really take the ear, here.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

Everything'sRosie
Sad to hear about Bob Borst, RBM, I found his compilations indispensable for the early 60s years. Sounded like a cool guy.

There were some terrific records in 1985, unfortunately hardly any of them got to the top of the pile hence I'm struggling to find three I even remotely like. It's a shame to finish on such a low as I've been amazed at the quality of some of the years we've voted on, especially the mid to late 60s.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

Old Grey Whistler
So much negativity on this thread but as my musical tastes are almost the polar opposite of most of you, you won't be surprised that I think that 1985 was one of the best years of the decade and I like most of these songs.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

Not a great year, but I've voted. So here is he artist and number one his Dead or Alive. The next Bowie & Jagger and last Midge Ure.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

CoffeeThing
Not that easy for me to find three that really stand out, so I went for one I enjoyed a lot at the time, one associated with my team and my usual weakness for festive offerings. I too am very sorry to hear of Bob Borst's passing.
This week, I are be mostly too warm

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Old Grey Whistler wrote
So much negativity on this thread but as my musical tastes are almost the polar opposite of most of you, you won't be surprised that I think that 1985 was one of the best years of the decade and I like most of these songs.

I hear what you are saying OGW but me and a few others on here are usually very upbeat about the 80s years so it kind of balances out. To be fair, I would probably be as dismissive of the 90s and onwards were we to have been asked to vote on those, and as most regular posters are at a guess roughly 10 years my senior, it's most likely just an age thing.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

The Rubberband Man
1985 was not a bad year for pop music, it's just that the best of the year never made it to #1. My votes are :-

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

The Rubberband Man wrote
..... Bob Borst’s 1985 medley (we’re skipping the first song as it’s really a 1984 #1).....
As ever many thanks for the link but in this instance the wisest course of action would probably have been to skip the lot.  A turkey flock and no mistake.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

VintageVideos
I'm also having trouble to pick three. There are two that I like but the third is only in tolerable territory.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1985.

AC/PD
I went for the Three F's -
Foreigner, Filip and Fyllis.
123