Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

SuPaLu
This one was quite easy so my votes are in.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

PattiforPM wrote
Mikey wrote
Is it one of these?

Robert Palmer - Addicted to Love
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
Genesis - Land of Confusion
 Those are very good too Mikey (esp Sledgehammer IMO) but the one I was referring to is on Ryan's list.  It's simple but effective
Oh Ok, I cant think which, are you waiting until the result to give us the answer?

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

Old Grey Whistler
My vote is in but it was a tough choice as there are several very good songs but no obvious standout. If I voted again tomorrow I could pick three different songs.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

VintageVideos
Quite a number of ok/good songs but hardly any excellent ones in my opinion. I picked a 'classic' song, a soundtrack and an oldie.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

I've just chosen my set of three. So I went for one of the best rock & Roll records and great video. A first good debut by a duo in chart History. And a song written by the BG gone Motown.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

Just 2½ hours to go. Once again its very tight at the top and your vote could change things.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

Im not much a fan of middle 80s pop, but i fully endorse the elected favourite for this year and i never tire of it. My second choice was The Housemartins and for my third,  i will hold my hands up. I was the one who went for the Chicken Song. I loved Spitting Image back in the day, very much a show of its time.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

Everything'sRosie
For the second week running my first choice has won. A classic piece of timeless pop. Surprised by the runner-up though. I also voted for A-ha and Madonna (Papa Don't Preach).

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

The Rubberband Man
Amazing. A poll where my one of my votes is cast for the winner. West End Girls is a ground breaker though.

I also voted for the runner up, which was written by The Bee Gees.

My third vote went for the classic Reet Petite, which holds the record for taking the longest time to reach #1 in the UK.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

PattiforPM
I gave this the old 1-2-3 punch (Pet Shops, AHA and Billy Ocean)  Billy Ocean is one of my very favourite vids, a simple performance but the singer is great, guest stars/back up singers are brilliant and I like the film clips too.  I'm a little surprised too that Chain Reaction did so well although it is a very decent song

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

VintageVideos
My votes went to Berlin, Falco & Jackie Wilson. I also considered Diana Ross and Madonna's True Blue which I like better than PDP. The winner is not really a surprise I guess.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

I placed West End Girls high up on a plinth such was the quality and feeling it imbued then and now.
After that, I selected the less outstanding Papa Don't Preach and finished with a solitary vote for The Final Countdown.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

Old Grey Whistler
My selections crashed and burned receiving just 6 votes between them. For the record, I voted for Billy Ocean, Chris de Burgh and The Housemartins.
I don't mind West End Girls though. The song's alright as well.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

sueforever
Amazed I got the two top places.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

PattiforPM
Housemartins and George Michael were my bubbling unders

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

CoffeeThing
Sorry to have missed this.
This week, I are be mostly hanging in, just

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

Jackie Wilson was one of those rare breeds who scored higher UK chart success after his death than during his life. Although this and his 1987 follow-up single (I Get The Sweetest Feeling) both made the top ten for him in the 1950s and 60s, his middle 80s re-releases charted at positions 1 & 3 respectively.

Both of those records though do seem very out of place in the high powered charts of 86/87. Surely there success (especially Reet Petite) must be indebted in large parts to the animated video techniques used in them, so gainfully used by Peter Gabriel earlier in the year. Im suggesting then RP only got to number one because the record buying public liked the promo video. Would that be a fair assessment ?

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

MADMAX
I took ; Berlin, Ross and Doc and the medics, sure its form an earlier time but reminds me of the lovely Pan's and I like the song.

Re: VOTE HERE - for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1986.

Im suggesting then RP only got to number one because the record buying public liked the promo video. Would that be a fair assessment ?
Definitely. Reet Petite was released in the 1950s and got nowhere until that video was released.
But it's not just Jackie Wilson who benefitted from a well liked accompanying video. It's the age of the video promo and big sums of money are being spent on them, as Pete Waterman discussed in the 1985 TOTPs docu. Aha "Take On Me", Dire Straits "Money For Nothing", and the many Michael Jackson records all had lavish videos that hugely promoted sales of records.