Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

This is the 11th of our `Tuesday to Friday polls` in which we vote on our favourite UK number one singles from the golden years of pop, 1960 to 1989. Your task is to decide which 'three' are your favourites from each given year.

Remember that you must select all '3' favourite choices in one go, you cannot vote for one or two then vote again for your third.
The poll ends Friday at 7.15pm. This is a hidden poll and the result will automatically be revealed at the end of the poll. You must be logged-in to vote.

THE POLL IS CLOSED

VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.
You can select up to 3 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

My 3 selections come from the first third of the year.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

This one is going to take quite some effort for me

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

The Rubberband Man
So many to chose from and some good records in there too, but I've already excluded Cliff form my selection as that has to be the worst Christmas #1 from the decade.

Bob's blast of 1988. Skip the first song which is a #1 leftover from 1987 :-
http://d1pop96i45smdf.cloudfront.net/popculture/medley/final/uk/year/1988.mp3

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

This isn't even a bad selection. Better than I recall it.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

CoffeeThing
Voted but wasn't easy. Not the best selection that year.
This week, I are be mostly watching the third place play-off

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

PattiforPM
I spent a number of happy minutes and few bored ones reviewing this lot and in the end the votes fell rather easily for me, rather to my own surprise.  And I'm sorry I don't usually try to influence the vote this early on but I have to echo the Cliff jumping to his own detriment comments earlier

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

The Rubberband Man wrote
So many to chose from and some good records in there too, but I've already excluded Cliff form my selection as that has to be the worst Christmas #1 from the decade.
I'm no great Cliff fan but I feel I must protest, in a decade which contained St Winifred's School Choir and Renee and Renato!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

PattiforPM
Ahh well-played OGW, the notorious St Winifred's Defence.  Your move RBM...

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

Everything'sRosie
Not the greatest year, but there are still some good tunes here. He Ain't Heavy is clearly the most enduring record on the list, but I feel I can't vote for it as it's a re-release from the 1960s. I must confess I've no idea why it came out again in 1988, but when I choose my three they will be representative of that year.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

Old Grey Whistler wrote
The Rubberband Man wrote
So many to chose from and some good records in there too, but I've already excluded Cliff form my selection as that has to be the worst Christmas #1 from the decade.
I'm no great Cliff fan but I feel I must protest, in a decade which contained St Winifred's School Choir and Renee and Renato!
OMG OGW. Yes, they are both awful records too, and I’d actually erased them from my mind as they are just too painful to even think about. The one from St Winifred’s is especially dire, and I think it is marginally more unbearable than Cliff’s woeful effort here. It just shows that no matter how bad you think a record is, there’s always something worse.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
OK I take back what I said last week. While in my memory the late 80s was full of good music, it seems that only pap made it to number one. A lot of these kind of blend into one another, they are so bland. The first was easy, but after that it was tough to pick two more. I usually like a bit of U2, but of all their big hits, Desire is my least favourite. Still I didn't have to look far from Dublin for my number one choice....
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

Everything'sRosie wrote
He Ain't Heavy.....I must confess I've no idea why it came out again in 1988
 I think it came out after the popularity of this rather good Miller Lite ad ER

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvJyZ9fm73M

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

Everything'sRosie
Ah right.
And that is a rather strange ad. Of course we're deeply into the era when adverts could put songs back in the charts. Indeed, it's arguable if The Clash would ever have had a No.1 if it had not been for the commercial/corporate world. I'm sure the irony was not lost on them!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

Well what do you know. I have to say that  a few of the number 1s of 1988 are not bad/quite good. And a lot better range of choice then the previous 1980s selection.
I did ponder over whether to choose a reissued 1970s hit, and was generally not going to, as it was a reissue. And the new music of the year should take precedence. But then I thought again as it was a hit in the year in question, and that is what we are going on.
So, for me the Manchester Group from the 1960s, the ex Go Go and the U.K group featuring a vocalist who has released a number of records of the songs of Robert Burns.
I must add a mention for S’Express as that, to my mind, launched a whole new era.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

Mikey
I like Belinda, she released some nice pop songs over the next few years, ive also picked a duo still on form and a great sample based dance tune.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

Gorgeous Daze
It wasn't just Yazz's cohorts, the 88 charts were so populated with plastic they ought have been sponsored by Lego. The No.1s aren't that representative of this and I'm surprised how little SAW there is, but still I seriously or moderately dislike some of these. I think I can however scramble three to vote for with a degree of enthusiasm.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

Gorgeous Daze
Refamiliarizing with some of these I find the prototypes for X Factor balladry. Yuck.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

Who's That Hurll
A female who went solo, a duo and a group that went on to have other aliases.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1988.

Gorgeous Daze
I've voted for a Cumbrian-American, a club anthem that borrows, and not without guilt a total steal of a tarnished medley featuring lamentable Dalek approximations and a favourite landscape of Earth Mysteries.