Use this thread for comments on the show and also to vote on your favourite performance. We will no longer have a separate thread which previewed and reviewed the show. Once the showed has been screened by BBC4 on Friday, use the Nabble poll below to cast your vote. Im not messing about removing video clips and breakers from the poll listing, if you want to vote for them then please do. I will just copy and paste the `Popscene` run-down for every show some 24 hours before broadcast. If anybody wants to resurrect a proper preview thread, then do so, but let me know beforehand.

This show is introduced by John Peel and Richard Skinner and is screened Friday 12th Jan at 19.30 to 20.10. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

The Rubberband Man
I’m looking forward to a new year of TOTPs repeats, although I see there are some stragglers from 1984's Christmas still in the charts.
1985 TOTPs starts in controversy with the first act, Smiley Culture, as his death is attributed as the spark that led to the London riots in 2011.

Smiley Culture, real name David Emmanuel, tragically died of a single stab wound through the heart after four Metropolitan Police officers executed a search warrant at his home in Surrey on 15 March 2011.
His family were told he stabbed himself while making a cup of tea despite the presence of officers in his home. Suspicions over the circumstances of his death during the drugs raid were identified as a contributing factor to the large scale rioting in London later that year.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

I dont think i've ever heard a worse song to start a TOTPs in any of the re-runs so far. Then again, the second isn't far behind.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

The Rubberband Man
It was good to finally have a song from Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious Five on the show (even if just the playout). No wonder that the Five were furious after their previous hit, “White Lines” never got played on TOTPs.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

Legsfan
Watched the edition and my vote would have gone to Ghostbusters, but the sound was extremely poor, so the lovely fine Madonna gets my vote this week.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

CoffeeThing
I nearly gave TfF a Shout, but Wham pipped it.
This week, I are be mostly eating fish

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

NickGregory92
Not a bad show to kickstart 1985 with. Thought it started off weakly with Smiley Culture and San Solo, but gradually improved. Heavily contemplated choosing Tears for Fears as my favourite performance of the show, but in the end I plumped for Wham's Double-A side to Last Christmas.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

Lady Madonna for me.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

Everything'sRosie
The break in the repeats gave this show a strange feel, as the chart was full of records which felt like they should have been long gone. I found it all a little boring tbh, and some of those songs had me clock-watching, especially the Paul Young one which seemed to go on forever.

In terms of giving my vote I'm tempted to say none of the above, but Like A Virgin is a class pop number so I'll go with Madonna. She certainly got close to some of those bridges!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

The Rubberband Man
Everything'sRosie wrote
The break in the repeats gave this show a strange feel, as the chart was full of records which felt like they should have been long gone. I found it all a little boring tbh, and some of those songs had me clock-watching, especially the Paul Young one which seemed to go on forever.
Good point ER.
Richard Skinner explained to us that they had gone out to find out what you [the viewer] wanted, and the overwhelming response was more top hits (was anyone here ever asked?).
What that meant however was the showing of the same old videos of songs in the top 10 that had already been around the charts for a while and were starting to slide.
Thankfully, the idea is dropped quickly and is replaced in future episodes with the Top 40 Breakers.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

PattiforPM
I'm just another Foreigner

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

Mikey
I voted for Shout, am i supposed to be able to see the totals?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

Who's That Hurll
I gave Madonna her vote last year, so this time it will be Wham!.

zenon
Voted for Tears For Fears although I thought Smiley Culture and Sal Solo made a good start. Not a bad first show for 1985.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

The Rubberband Man
I'm not a big fan of Wham! but even I can see “Everything She Wants” was the best that they ever did.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

Gorgeous Daze
I've given Madonna one. No surprise others got there before.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

The Rubberband Man wrote
1985 TOTPs starts in controversy with the first act, Smiley Culture, as his death is attributed as the spark that led to the London riots in 2011.

Smiley Culture, real name David Emmanuel, tragically died of a single stab wound through the heart after four Metropolitan Police officers executed a search warrant at his home in Surrey on 15 March 2011.
His family were told he stabbed himself while making a cup of tea despite the presence of officers in his home. Suspicions over the circumstances of his death during the drugs raid were identified as a contributing factor to the large scale rioting in London later that year.
A contributing factor so say the metropolitan elite alliance of the London School Of Economics and The Guardian. Almost everyone else believes the looting and arson fest was entirely sparked by the police shooting of gun-carrying drug dealer, 'family man' and all-round communi-ee hero Mark Duggan.

Disarmingly sharp and humourous though Smiley's record is, he is essentially boasting about driving an untaxed car while under the influence of an illegal substance and playing the race card about getting pulled over. A bizarre and tragic postscript to his story nevertheless.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

+1.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

Everything'sRosie wrote
some of those songs had me clock-watching, especially the Paul Young one which seemed to go on forever.
Didn't it just? I was beginning to think that everything must change apart from that ruddy record!

The Toy Dolls' lead singer Olga joined LA punks The Dickies on bass for their 2002 British tour. As a bit of fun they did Nellie The Elephant as an encore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roT3yQJeDBM