Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I just doubled the vote for the Toy Dolls
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

PattiforPM
Looks as if the winning race is an all or nothing kind of a thing

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
When you think of what the BBC have banned!<quote author="Gorgeous Daze">
The Rubberband Man wrote
Disarmingly sharp and humourous though Smiley's record is, he is essentially boasting about driving an untaxed car while under the influence of an illegal substance and playing the race card about getting pulled over. A bizarre and tragic postscript to his story nevertheless.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

My vote went to Madonna.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

Not a particularly outstanding edition this week, more acts i suppose but snippets of the chart run down don't really count in my book. Anyway, my vote went to Wham! for their decent performance.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

Gorgeous Daze wrote
A contributing factor so say the metropolitan elite alliance of the London School Of Economics and The Guardian. Almost everyone else believes the looting and arson fest was entirely sparked by the police shooting of gun-carrying drug dealer, 'family man' and all-round communi-ee hero Mark Duggan.
The death of Smiley Culture was one of a series of events that led to a breakdown in trust between the police and the local community which they served. You don't have to be a Guardian reader or have gone to LSE to understand that in these sort of cases, a number of unrelated incidents can build tension in a community and can be contributing factors to such wide scale public disorder.

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Disarmingly sharp and humourous though Smiley's record is, he is essentially boasting about driving an untaxed car while under the influence of an illegal substance and playing the race card about getting pulled over.
Most people see the record as being a tongue-in-cheek tale about an encounter with the police and not a statement of facts.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

Everything'sRosie
I don't have a lot of time for the modern police force, but back then policing an inner city district with a high ethnic population was a near on impossible task. A cousin of mine was a constable in Bristol in the 1980s and was told unofficially by his superiors to turn a blind eye to the drug-dealing going on in the St Pauls and Fishponds areas, for fear of causing another riot. Which meant the needs of the decent members of the community were largely ignored in favour of appeasing the "big fists" who controlled the streets.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

Gorgeous Daze
Yes, it's important to remember that small businesses owned by decent black people were among those premises trashed and looted by mindless criminals in the 2011 riots. The perpetrators already had an average of about 14 convictions. Bookshops emerged mysteriously unscathed.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

Everything'sRosie wrote
The break in the repeats gave this show a strange feel, as the chart was full of records which felt like they should have been long gone.
Yes, it felt very odd indeed, especially after the post-Christmas foray back three years!
This week, I are be mostly eating fish

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

22 voting was a good turn out. Well done to George and his mates for winning the thing.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

Gorgeous Daze
Yes a heartening turnout for a new year which compares well with participation in the Legs & Co years.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/01/85

The Rubberband Man
The spread of performances that received 0 votes is no surprise.

As I'd voted for Madonna the previous time, I wanted to spread the love and Wham!"s clever marketing ploy of putting the excellent "Everything She Wants" as the alternative A side to "Last Christmas" keeps the record going in the charts after the Christmas hiatus.