This show is presented by (Janice Long & John Peel ) and is first screened Friday 31st August at 21.30 to 22.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

Legsfan
This edition is special in two ways. The first is that this is the debut of The Wizard by Paul Hardcastle.
The second is that this edition marks excatly 10 years of Top of the Pops that have been shown on BBC Four!
Hard to believe that 10 TOTP years ago, Pan’s People were still going strong dancing to Jungle Rock.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

The Rubberband Man
John Peel made it a thing on his radio show to only talk between the records, never to talk over them as he felt that was a huge discourtesy to both the artist and the listener. Interesting to see if he breaks that rule with the chart run down, or leaves the entire chart rundown for Janice to do.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

Legsfan
The video chart has been scrapped. Back to the usual chart segment today.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

Legsfan wrote
The video chart has been scrapped.
Not totally scrapped. According to Popscene's listings it makes unwelcome returns on the 10/04, 17/04, 01/05 before being consigned to the rubbish bin.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

Everything'sRosie
Checking the schedules this edition seems to just have a single showing, Saturday night/Sunday morning. Or am I missing something?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

zenon
We'll only see the 40-11 rundown over a video once more on BBC Four though which is the 17/4 show as Mike Smith hosts the other two remaining shows it was in.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

Quite right, but i was just confirming the thing hasn't been totally scrapped and listed the shows.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

Legsfan wrote
The video chart has been scrapped. Back to the usual chart segment today.
Halleluiah - even if it is only for one week.
I wonder if John explained his principles about talking over records to Michael Hurl and they reached an agreement to drop it on this occasion?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

Everything'sRosie wrote
Checking the schedules this edition seems to just have a single showing, Saturday night/Sunday morning. Or am I missing something?
Yep. It's shown on Sunday morning at 00:15, and then, for some strange scheduling reason, on Thursday next week in the 7.30pm slot.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

Well spotted Ryan. I forgot to check Popscene. Doh

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

Cheers, that's odd.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

Everything'sRosie wrote
Checking the schedules this edition seems to just have a single showing, Saturday night/Sunday morning. Or am I missing something?
Yes. It's shown right now.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

Falco for me, though i enjoyed last evenings show a whole lot more.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

The Rubberband Man
Big Audio Dynamite's “E=MC2” is a song about films made by Director Nicolas Roeg. For example, the lyrics "Man dies first reel, People ask what`s the deal? This ain`t how it`s supposed to be, Don`t like no aborigine." is about Walkabout, the film starring Jenny Agutter.
It gets my vote this week.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

Gorgeous Daze
Yes LF, what a difference a decade made!

The first edition of a new era wasn't wizard in the Enid Blyton sense of the word, but it was alright. It was good to finally see Mick Jones in the studio following The Clash's precious boycott of the show. Ironic that BAD included Don Letts, a few weeks after he was seen assisting John Lydon's PIL. The Pistols having been somewhat less welcome than their more politicized punk rivals.

My vote goes to A-ha, with a song I'd quite forgotten. Lost and underrated in the shadow of the two giant hits that preceded it.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

PattiforPM
Pass up the chance to vote for Mass Energy equivalence?  Are you kidding?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

Everything'sRosie
Like GD I had forgotten, or I'm inclined to believe I was never aware of, that A-ha track. An excellent record, A-ha really were under-rated and unfairly got pigeon-holed with the likes of the Duranies & Spandaus as a teeny band. Another of their records coming up, I've Been Losing You, is also excellent. However, E=MC2 is one of the best tracks of the 80s and so gets my vote.

A word about that George Michael video, if a vid was ever worthy of parody that was it. Has a man with a mullet ever taken himself quite so seriously before?

On what was an excellent show, i confess to having to fast forward through the GM video. Not my cup of tea at all.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 03/04/86

Everything'sRosie wrote
A word about that George Michael video, if a vid was ever worthy of parody that was it. >
John Peel dedicated the vid to his kids (aww). A first time mention on the BBC for future Radio 6 DJ Tom Ravenscroft.