This show is presented by (Janice Long & John Peel) and is first screened Thursday 24th Jan at 19.30 - 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

The Rubberband Man
John Peel's final TOTP of the 1980s tonight. The end of an era.
All bound for Lulu Land in an E Type Jag (but more likely to be an E reg)

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

Blow Monkeys for me.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

Dancer
Lots of good tunes in this tonight.  Never keen on remixes of songs but my vote went to Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman.  Still got the 12" single to this.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

Michael
Same here, Ryan. Not too convinced by the ‘performance’ but the song’s great.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

Everything'sRosie
Before the show I thought it would be a battle between The Blow Monkeys and The Smiths for me, but on seeing the show it was obvious The Blow Monkeys were better.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

Well that should be 4 votes for Blow Monkey's as when i voted somebody else already had but not commented on it. This means one of us haven't clicked Vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

Everything'sRosie
It must be Michael, Ryan. My vote definitely registered.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

PattiforPM
Glad I have a chance to vote for Randy Crawford now

The Smiths – “Shoplifters Of The World Unite”
All bound for Lulu Land in an E Type Jag (but more likely to be an E reg)

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Curiosity for me
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

Gorgeous Daze
Clapton's was the best song IMO, but it's only fitting on the last show for Janice and John that I vote for the unrepentant criminals.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

CoffeeThing
A decent show this week I thought. The Blow Monkeys came very close and it could have been any one of four or five but Randy Crawford got my vote.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

A good show tonight and a few decent acts to vote for, but for me it has to be The Smiths, a classic track that i've always liked.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

I went for the number one.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

Mikey
Curiosity

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

  Was this really John Peel's last TOTPs? If it was, it was a sad occasion and I will miss his presenting style- and I am sure so did Janice. And I noticed how strangely John was looking at Janice at times during the show. And what was the blonde lady doing behind John right at the beginning? That did not look like dancing to me.
  A difficult decision to be made, as I liked nearly all the performances here. A very good show to highlight what 1987 had to offer- and a riposte to us old 70s fogeys that the 80s were not a clueless as we make out. ( it won't stop me however, until I remember that I DO like the 80s )!
  As one of my 'girls of the 80s', and 70s and 90s- if we have such a thing- I was very happy to see Sarah Brightman, even if she did little in the video apart from look superbly beautiful and seductive and enticing to any old phantom. And which conflicted and self-doubting phantom could have resisted her perfect charms? Not this one- Michael Crawford or me. I very nearly chose this video for the wonderful spectacle and performance from these two top notch artistes. But decided against it, preferring a studio performance. Likewise Randy Crawford- another girl of the 80s from me- who could charm me any day with her sweetness and her presence.
  I must look elsewhere, ignoring the breakers- Five Star in sparkly red and old Slowhand still giving a good showing 20 years after the height of his fame. There was also Errol Brown and Hot Chocolate to consider- with a nice video containing clips from old silent films. The Roaring Twenties, of course. Plus, a lovely chance to see Aretha and George together in a good video, although perhaps John did not think so- from his off the cuff remark afterwards.
 So it is between the Monkeys, Smiths or CKTC this week. It would seem that the Producers of the time had the same approach as a top quality comedian, start with a bang and give some of your best material at the beginning. The Blow Monkeys then nearly won it for me, with a good number, backing singers and an impeccably dressed bassist. How come that attire has never been more fashionable? Curiosity too give a good showing, with our Ben to the fore. But I do pick The Smiths this week, for a drivingly stylish and worthy performance, even if Morrissey's dancing was a little off-putting. Shoplifters of The World, unite behind them.
  Goodbye John, thanks for your time and efforts in making these 80s TOTPs so memorable. If Mike Smith can get an award then so should you. But maybe not for your dancing!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

Who's That Hurll
It does have to be this way.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

Mikey
I wonder if there was a certain irony in featuring the song Behind The Mask and then Michael Crawford..in a mask

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 05/02/87

Gorgeous Daze
I can recall this edition and that it attracted an airing for letters of complaint sent to Points Of View with Barry Took. Of course both Janice and John were into edgy music and it was felt that they had crossed a line with their blatant bias and dismissive tone towards what they didn't like. Letters quoted particularly took issue with Janice's sneering comment 'Well I suppose some of you think that this is a, er, GOOD tune' regarding Music Of The Night. I wonder if all the correspondence had any bearing on this being Peelie's last show of the eighties?