This show is introduced by (Simon Bates & Paul Jordan) and is first screened Thursday 2nd August at 19.30 to 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

zenon
The Damned and Ozzy are my highlights to look forward to tonight.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

Everything'sRosie
Dare I say it, but this looks like a darn fine show.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

Gorgeous Daze
He who dares wins, ER! A very good edition for the era.

An awkward but wide-ranging interview on TV AM with Dave Vanian and Barry Ryan, who took the original version of Eloise to No.2 in 1968, a place higher than The Damned reached with it. Nick Owen doesn't seem to like Mr Vanian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvy9nCYdnik

A more accessible Ozzy turned up with a cracking single that I confounded myself by buying. (I supposedly never bought heavy rock). But even so you wouldn't need to take a shot in the dark to ascertain where my vote's gone this week.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

When Double came on i didn't think i'd recognize the song but i did,so i voted for them.
This is what like about the 80s TOTP.I'm constantly rediscovering music i liked at the time but had forgotten or dismissed by thinking the 70s is best.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

SuPaLu
Noticed Floyd with Hot Gossip dancing in the Whitney Houston video.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

I went for one of the breakers Belouis Some, one of the few records i liked from back in the day. Of course this had a risque video containing nudity. Not surprisingly no nudity to be seen on TOTPs. But if you would like to watch the full uncensored 5 minutes of it, then here it is on YouTube. If you are easily offended like so many people these days seem to be, then DO NOT click the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9loBA3sE6hg

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

Everything'sRosie
I considered voting for Imagination but seeing as there is a studio performance coming up which isn't Smithied I deferred , it's a great record though with some interesting lyrics.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

Legsfan
🇺🇸

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

  Look Billy's back! Hello Billy. Where's P.P. Arnold? I voted for you last time, Billy, so what have you done with P.P? No, that's not P. P, that's Danny De Vito. Why have you replaced P.P with three actors? ( exit Billy Ocean, with fingers in ears... stage left )
  As Billy Ocean has turned up without anybody who can claim to be an ex- Ikette, I have chosen to go for some others more reliable. On tonight's performance it has to be The Damned with Eloise that win it for me.
  But not a bad programme for 1986, I think.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

I went for one of the breakers Belouis Some, one of the few records i liked from back in the day. Of course this had a risque video containing nudity. Not surprisingly no nudity to be seen on TOTPs. But if you would like to watch the full uncensored 5 minutes of it, then here it is on YouTube. If you are easily offended like so many people these days seem to be, then DO NOT click the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9loBA3sE6hg
Tasty eroticism. Never knew about that video Ryan. Nice share.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

The Rubberband Man
My vote goes to James 'Boogie' Brown - no-one's ever called him that before

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

Was going with The Damned until Double appeared, then at the end James Brown just stole my vote away.

I'd not seen the Belouis Some video before either, it's great, thanks for the link Ryan.

It is funny how a lot of people these days seem to feel the need to be offended by just about everything whether they really are or not. Back in the 80s pretty much no-one I knew ever got offended, they hadn't yet been taught to take everything personally. People now seem to think everything is about them. Hey, Carly Simon eat your heart out!

Edit: Typo - changed 'nitro' to 'not'. Spellchecker struck again.
This week, I are be mostly too warm

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

zenon
Quite an excellent edition, Ozzy edges The Damned for my vote this week, both songs just mind blowing.

Enjoyed the breaker from Belouis Some and Double's performance also, couldn't help myself laughing at the sight of Su Pollard during the rundown!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

CoffeeThing wrote
It is funny how a lot of people these days seem to feel the need to be offended by just about everything whether they really are or not.
I know what yo mean CT, but its not really funny. It just depresses me, though 99.9% of it is driven by left leaning media who revel in stoking people up.

On watching the show last evening i wonder what today's BBC would have made of Paul Jordan's comments during the breakers between P.I.L and Whitney Houstan.

"Okay chaps given the choice between Johnny Rotten and Whitney Houstan who would you choose ? Me too !"

I'd say a trip into the director generals office for a lecture and rollicking for assuming that all chaps fancy women. Followed by him having to make a public apology for making that assumption.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

Everything'sRosie

CoffeeThing wrote
It is funny how a lot of people these days seem to feel the need to be offended by just about everything whether they really are or not.
I saw the great Ricky Gervais on a "Loose Women" style American talk show a while back, and one of the women hosts picked him up on something he said with the "I'm offended by that" line. Gervais immediately stumped her with the superb riposte: "Just because you're offended doesn't make you right". Watching her pious indignation fall apart on air was a joy to behold.

Indeed, Jordan was in need of some "micro management" there. As for the vid, I have to agree, Whitney sure looked ravishing and full of life. So different from the dull and jaded artist she would later become.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

CoffeeThing wrote
Was going with The Damned until Double appeared, then at the end James Brown just stole my vote away.

I'd nitro seen the Belouis Some video before either, it's great, thanks for the link Ryan.

Mary Whitehouse and her gang seemed to to offended at just about everything during the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

CoffeeThing wrote
It is funny how a lot of people these days seem to feel the need to be offended by just about everything whether they really are or not.
I know what yo mean CT, but its not really funny. It just depresses me, though 99.9% of it is driven by left leaning media who revel in stoking people up.

On watching the show last evening i wonder what today's BBC would have made of Paul Jordan's comments during the breakers between P.I.L and Whitney Houstan.

"Okay chaps given the choice between Johnny Rotten and Whitney Houstan who would you choose ? Me too !"

I'd say a trip into the director generals office for a lecture and rollicking for assuming that all chaps fancy women. Followed by him having to make a public apology for making that assumption.
We just seem to have gone from quite rightly protecting people from cruelty and discrimination to making innocent and inoffensive jokes and banter into something to be offended by as absolute political correctness takes hold. Humour is becoming a dirty word, and I don't mean that at someone else's expense, but anything remotely near the mark.

Talking of last night's show, what about the half whited up black man  (Floid?) as the bride and groom in the Whitney video in a sort of reverse minstrel make-up? Goodness only knows they would make something out of absolutely nothing there too these days.

The Rubberband Man wrote
Mary Whitehouse and her gang seemed to to offended at just about everything during the 60's, 70's and 80's.
Yes absolutely so. I remember they seemed to be professional offendees back in the day, shocked by almost everything. At least they were a relatively small group thought of as a bit over the top by most. My concern is we now have a near generational thing of being offended by default.

Maybe I am getting old and curmudgeonly, reading too much into it.
This week, I are be mostly too warm

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 06/02/86

Old Grey Whistler
Mary Whitehouse went a bit over the top at times, particularly when she was complaining about the dancers, but some of her concerns were legitimate and she achieved some good things.  As others have said , political correctness is now way out of control. The main difference now is that the advent of social media has given a platform to anyone and everyone who wants to complain.
I notice the TV comedy 'Friends' was recently criticised because none of the central cast were either black or gay. and they were considered to be mocking fat people. Also the head of comedy at the BBC said that Monty Python wouldn't be commissioned nowadays because they weren't diverse enough. That probably explains why most comedy is rubbish these days!
Unfortunately it is this sort of mock outrage from the 'snowflakes' that will prevent our favourite dance troupes from ever being celebrated again.