This show is presented by (Simon Bates & Peter Powell) and is first screened Friday 26th April at 19.30 - 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

Gorgeous Daze
Nothing to excite me on this show, apart perhaps from Carol's hemline. There was a good-natured feel to Wax's performance which I liked so I've voted for them.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

Everything'sRosie
T'Pau just edge it, but quite a poor show and one record (Lies) I had absolutely no knowledge of. One listening was enough and I have little doubt it will never intrude on my life again.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

After the last show which i thought was very good, this show felt like a bit of a nose dive back to 87 normality. Ive gone for the fiery red head, who gave it her Heart & Soul.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

Best on the show were W.A.S.P so they get my vote.

Haha, I'm joking.
My vote goes to U2, where the streets have no name -
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0438421,-118.2511505,3a,75y,27.34h,93.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sf9camp-_-V3naydgv1qy_w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

Everything'sRosie wrote
quite a poor show and one record (Lies) I had absolutely no knowledge of. One listening was enough and I have little doubt it will never intrude on my life again.
I remember nothing of the ultra-prosiac sounding popstar Jonathan Butler either, and feel the same about his record.

As for those W.A.S.P.s, they were enough to besmirch the impeccable reputation of the World Aquatic Security Patrol! The twist was discovering when they'd finished that they'd been purveying the theme to a family movie.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

  W.A.S.P. Can we be sure they were all Protestants? Where is 'Bloody Mary' when you need her?  I used to go out with a girl with hair like that. At least, I thought she was a girl, now I am not so sure. It couldn't be, no. No Way! Do we still burn heretics?
 I need say no more on Rick Astley, because I don't want to. Nor Level 42. And does Bono think he is Paul McCartney? I can remember that video well.
  The old professionals of Gold and Gouldman had a chance with me.  Also, 'Lies' by Jonathan Butler- no memory of that, either- because I was rather struck by the female saxophonist. I think I went out with a girl who looked like that too. But I cannot choose something under such base motives, so I have gone for Carol's fetching hemline and jacket-dress instead. Second time in a row I have picked T'Pau now. One of the better bands of 1987, I feel. And I think Carol could do with a good supper. She looks rather light here.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

VintageVideos
Bit of a poor show. Not sure why Level 42 thought they had to release a string of boring ballads after their success with uptempo numbers. Wax were ok but only in the context of poor competition. My vote goes to the band from Vulcan which opened the show.
And was it just me, or did anyone else think that Bono looked a bit like this guy from 'Police Academy'?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

NickGregory92
For me, it has be Level 42 with a poignant yet underrated song. If my knowledge serves me correctly, the Gould brothers were on the verge of departing the band around that time.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

CoffeeThing
Oddly, I did remember lies once it came on. Bit mixed on this week’s show. I like the Level 42 offering and indeed Carol’s hemline camevery Close indeed, but U2 just pip both as I was quite into their music back then.

All a bit boring for the audience in those days too with even the number one recorded from a previous show. By the late 80s, they are lucky to get three or four live acts it seems. It’s one thing when the BBC can’t source a Jacko number one video, but another just to play a recording from a previous show when surely Rick would gladly have appeared again.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
My memory has blocked some of these songs out they were so bad.

Wax again
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

Who's That Hurll
 I remember hearing about T'Pau's success in the U.S. with 'Heart and Soul' and the fact they hadn't made it here yet. So I was glad when it entered our Top 40, but was disappointed to find they had dropped one of the verses before the first chorus. I prefer the original longer version, but have still voted for this UK radio edit.
The same thing happened with Heart's 'These Dreams' in 1988', where they dropped a verse before the first chorus and it didn't build the atmosphere as well as the original album version.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

Bit of a poor show this week with only one act i thought worthy of voting for, and that's Wax. Watching the U2 video i can't help thinking they were just copying what the Beatles did 18 years earlier with their rooftop performance, except i don't think the audio is even live!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

The Rubberband Man
GiLuRo wrote
Watching the U2 video i can't help thinking they were just copying what the Beatles did 18 years earlier with their rooftop performance, except i don't think the audio is even live!
Interesting point GiLuRo. There is a similarity between the U2 video and The Beatles rooftop performance from their Savile Row office. When asked about it, Bono acknowledged the fact saying, "We've ripped off The Beatles many times before."
U2's gig was a mix of live songs and the video shoot was performed to a playback - four times until the director had all the shots required / the police closed the gig down.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

Everything'sRosie
I'm no fan of U2, but they probably are the last example of a band that could evolve and sound different from album to album, much in the tradition of The Beatles, Stones, Who.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

I went for T'PAU in this poll.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

Michael
Not much for me here. I've voted for those I like in previous polls which leaves only T'pau as a choice.

A few of you have mentioned Level 42's fall from musical grace. I wholeheartedly concur with this opinion. I was a huge fan of their early output earlier in the Eighties, when they were a 'proper' Jazz Funk band, but I'd completely lost interest in them by this time.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 10/09/87

Everything'sRosie wrote
I'm no fan of U2, but they probably are the last example of a band that could evolve and sound different from album to album, much in the tradition of The Beatles, Stones, Who.
Very much so, with Achtung Baby being their Sgt Pepper
All bound for Lulu Land