This show is presented by (Simon Mayo & Peter Powell) and is first screened Friday 25th Jan at 19.30 - 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

As an aid to any newer users to these polls, this is basically how to use a Nabble Poll. I think sometimes folk make a comment, but forget to use the poll and of course their vote will not be counted.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

Nothing much for me on this show. I thought the play-out track to be rather a jolly tune, so i`ll vote for that.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

Dancer
It was a toss up between Carly Simon and Taffy and I went for the latter.  Loved that song when it was released.  Had extensive airplay at the time and now you never hear it.  The former still gets played on easy-listening channels.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

Michael
The Carly Simon song for me. I’d forgotten how much I like it...

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

Everything'sRosie
Taffy for me too, a terrific piece of pop.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

The Rubberband Man
My vote goes to Ben E. King – “Stand By Me”

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

PattiforPM
I'll be Rumbaing (sort of!) to this in April with my daughter as Father of the Bride so I really have to vote for Ben E King too

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

CoffeeThing
Aretha and George for me this week, both now sadly no longer with us. Ben E. King was a very close runner-up.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

Mikey
I love "Coming Around Again" (is this the first song to mention Soufflé?) but i can wait a week and put in a bit of a leftfield vote for Timbuk 3. I just noticed dissapointingly that Mental As Anything only appears on the next Mike Smith show and a breaker slot

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

Who's That Hurll
'Heartache's tally could do with some pepping up.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

I thought this was a very poor show this week, nearly went for Level 42, but i love that Taffy song so she gets my vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

Who's That Hurll wrote
'Heartache's tally could do with some pepping up.
And up.

My favourite songs were Stand By Me and Coming Around Again (don't worry I'm not finally going all 'adult' on you!) but I preferred watching Mrs Martin Kemp and the second most popular brand of cola, plus Heartache isn't a bad song.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

I went for the Ben E King, Stand by Me.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Love the Vesta Williams song, but like Taffy's even more
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

  Episode 1200 of Top Of The Pops, and a come down from number 1199. Not nearly as good in my opinion. Helmed by the  perfectly acceptable Simon and Peter, though neither of them put much character in their hosting, and featuring the TOTPs house band- how else would you describe them at this point in 1987?
  As ever there are plus and minus points, but the latter far outweighed the former on this occasion. The biggest minus for me was the Vesta Williams song 'Once Bitten Twice Shy' which had so much of what I dislike about mid 80s music. Ignoring the video, which at least contained a promise of assault and battery, the song was a tuneless mess, with no redeeming features in instrumentation or vocal prowess. I am sure Vesta would sound terrific with the right material- but this was not it by long chalks. And I did not feel much better listening to Taffy, for which song much the same comments apply. Too disjointed and broken,  with little flowing rhythm or melody. Not my thing at all!
  Never found much to like about Level 42 either, and can easily dismiss them here as being a poor 'big opening hit' for the show. And George and Michael, although a much better song than the above mentioned have had their turn from the previous show, and are again overlooked.
 'Stand By Me' by Ben E. King is a great number, and would win if best song is the consideration, instead of best performance. And if it was Ben E. singing as a young man, like in the beginning of the video, would have been my choice. But as it was a video for the film of the same name, I will reluctantly let it pass.
 Of the breakers, Timbuk 3 and Carly Simon have memorable songs, but we do not see enough for me to pick them, perhaps their turns will come another time, but I have little time for Europe- the band, not the continent- whether they sing into a ketchup bottle or not.
  Pepsi and Shirlie appeal in many ways, and the charms are obvious in the studio, but by a process of elimination I am left with that 'Top Of The Pops House Band', Five Star no less. Much derided and ridiculed in some quarters, but I enjoyed their performance most on this episode, so unhesitatingly give them my choice this week. Well done Denise and siblings. Very well done indeed! Lightweight pop it might be, but lightweight pop brought off with energy, enthusiasm and no little panache.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 12/02/87

Yippeeee, no need for another tie-break

RYAN