This show is presented by (Simon Bates & Peter Powell) and is first screened Friday 12th April at 19.30 - 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

Why was the number 1 not included on the show for this week and next week ? I can maybe understand it being Jacko free in 2019, but 1987.

`I Just Can't Stop Loving You` by Michael Jackson with Siedah Garrett

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

VintageVideos
I guess they didn't have a video for it yet. And the times of 'crowd dancing' were gone once and for all!
You are a genie
And all I ask for is your smile
Each time I rub the lamp

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

Everything'sRosie
Correct, no video. And no dance troupe either. Didn't see that one coming did you BBC, eh!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

Hanway2
They should have asked ‘Torso’ to help!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

The Rubberband Man
Pity Hue & Cry hadn't done the same thing

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

Far better show i thought than the previous offering. Well love him or hate him, its hard to deny that Rick Astley and his `Never Gonna Give You Up` was the sound of the summer of 87. Im not going to deny also that my foot was tapping away during his performance and im voting for that.

Best on the show this week were The Jesus & Mary Chain, although blink and you would have missed them.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

Everything'sRosie
I usually hate that Hair Metal thing but Animal is a top track so I voted for Def Leppard. But, oh my, those knobs that followed it. Were they serious! So by 1987 the heavy rock pioneered by Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath had been reduced to this

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

Michael
A big improvement on the previous show with quite a few tracks I like.

My choice is a bit off-centre in that I've picked the Sherrick track (who names their kid Sherrick?), mainly because it has the most interesting chord sequence, and because it was nice to be reminded of it after so many years. However, if I'd not picked Hue & Cry a few shows ago, they'd have got my vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

Fortunately i blinked and missed them .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

Who's That Hurll
A great opening to the show from Def Leppard. I like the follow-up single 'Pour Some Sugar on Me' - but we won't be seeing it on "the Pops", as it's Smithed.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

Gorgeous Daze
After an initial feeling of scorn, by the end of the cover of Funky Town I had enjoyed it more than I felt I ought to. Damn!

My vote though has gone to Sheffield steel, especially that of the drummer. As ER implies, one of those songs good enough to transcend its genre.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

CoffeeThing
Plenty of decent enough songs, some a pleasant change to the all too regular 1980s TOTP mediocre fare, but that got me thinking. Irrespective of genre, everything is transcending into being just a bit poppy in this era. I sort of remember the convergence, but it seems much clearer now, you have very 80s stadium hair metal pop, funk pop, SAW pop, transatlantic pop, MOR pop, kids' pop, wannabe alt pop and just plain regurgitated pop pop. It's probably the influence of SAW's success at the time (oh that infernal beat) or maybe I'm just a retrospective curmudgeon these days.

Anyway, plenty were okay and I could have gone with any one of several, but in the end my vote went to Hue & Cry, just. That's a lot of flour and water paste right there.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

NickGregory92
Such a shame they were unable to play the No1 due to a lack of video. Where’s Legs & Co or Zoo when you need them most?

My vote this week goes to one of Newton Le Willows’ finest, Richard Paul Astley.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

 Probably better than the previous edition- but not by much. My enthusiasm for 1987s pop is seriously in jeopardy.
 I an in two minds about the Motleys and the video to 'Girls, Girls, Girls'. Either they are not getting any- with which I can really sympathise, I know how it feels. Or perhaps they are not that much into girls anyway- 'methinks they do protest too much'. Or maybe they are just 80s hair metal, and like being the preening popinjays they are on the film. And I would have preferred it if they had done a cover of the Sailor hit with the same title.
 So Simon has been in Australia. And he was not wrong about the charts soon being chockfull of Australians. How long now until Kylie, Jason, and numerous others of the kind made their mark- not long surely. At least they would be easier on the ear than those Simes brought back with him.
 Simon and Peter do a good job co-presenting, they make a good team. The Yin and Yan of TOTPs hosts, I feel.
 What else to note, in a brief manner. Def Leppard do a good show, but this is light years from their Sheffield roots. Rick Astley, I know is/was popular with the masses. I am sure he is a decent cove but not with me.
  No video for Michael Jackson? Bring on the Dancing Girls if you had any. Serves the BBC right for getting rid of them those years previously. Even our friends Torso could have worked here.
  I never expected this, and it may be by default, but I liked Wet, Wet, Wet the most this time. So a big outsider for me takes the prize. Even the grin on Marti Pellow's face could not change that. I am undoubtedly unwell.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

Fantastic show this week, and what a difficult choice when deciding who to vote for. Very nearly went for Rick Astley or Wet Wet Wet, but i'm sure i'll get another chance with those, so i went for Def Leppard, a great track.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

I went for the Rick  Astley track . But the show was poor for me.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I thought this edition was slightly less good than the previous one. I am voting for an extraordinarily fresh-faced Master Astley.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 13/08/87