Use this thread for comments on the show and also to vote on your favourite performance. We will no longer have a separate thread which previewed and reviewed the show. Once the show has been screened by BBC4 use the Nabble poll below to cast your vote. Im not messing about removing video clips and breakers from the poll listing, if you want to vote for them then please do. I will just copy and paste the `Popscene` run-down for every show some 24 hours before broadcast.

This show is introduced by Simon Bates & Janice Long and is first screened Thursday 1st Feb at 19.30 to 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

The Rubberband Man
This is the final time for Jonathan King's US chart rundown, so no more editing around that for the future.

And The Commodores are only doing the "Nightshift" tonight... they're cut out of the running for the 7.30pm slot.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

zenon
JK makes one final appearance in the Xmas Day 1985 show.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

The Rubberband Man
zenon wrote
JK makes one final appearance in the Xmas Day 1985 show.
You're right zenon, he does. I was meaning JK's final appearance from the general run of TOTPs - should have been clearer.
So let's call it the penultimate JK appearance, and that's not a bad thing. I always thought the USA Chart Rundown to be a bit superfluous.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

Everything'sRosie
Agreed. Why on earth are they playing a clip of Careless Whisper on tonight's show, it had been a hit in the UK months before.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

What a damp squib of a show. But the sound of The Smiths gets my vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
I was always a big Terry Hall fan, but The Colour Field were not his best project: so Morrisey's deadpan humour get my vote.
You've all done vey well!

Obviously two records last night with incredible bass lines. The Smiths and Killing Joke were what I call proper bands (no place for the Spandaus and Duranies in this house) and both were at the height of their power in 1985. How Soon Is Now is epic, but Love Like Blood is a force of nature and so nudges it for me.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

The Rubberband Man
Another vote for The Smiths and another of their legendary performances - one of the greatest guitar riffs of all time.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

Everything'sRosie wrote
How Soon Is Now is epic, but Love Like Blood is a force of nature and so nudges it for me.
This.

No way was this a damp squib edition with two of the best records of the year on it!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

PattiforPM
My brother would commit fratricide if I didn't give Killing Joke the nudge at least once

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

As a Smiths fan i felt i ought to be giving them my vote for what was after all a cracking performance, however, Killing Joke were awesome, so in all fairness i have to vote for them instead.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

So I voted for the Smiths.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

CoffeeThing
Add odd show in many ways. I like Careless Whisper a lot but The Smiths get my vote for a great studio appearance and that guitar sound which screams mid-80s to me.
This week, I are be mostly watching the third place play-off

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

NickGregory92
Not a bad show this week. My personal favourites were the Commodores and the Smiths, but in the end I decided to give my vote to the late great Pete Burns and Dead or Alive, a brilliant song to kick off the show with.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

zenon

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

zenon
Voted for the awesome Killing Joke, such a phenomenal effort and certainly one of my favourite tracks of the 80s. My favourite Smiths song, Dead Or Alive and The Commodores augment another terrific show.

Janice Long must have been the luckiest woman in the world that night, she really had a whale of a time going by her intro and outro to the Smiths and that she called Killing Joke's climb good news in the rundown.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

Everything'sRosie
Janice can be a little over bubbly at times (well, she was Keith Chegwin's sister) but I can't question her taste in music. She comes over as a genuine fan too.

She can't be that big a fan. She said "How Soon Is Now?" was on the new Smiths album.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/02/85

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Smiths by a mile.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!