This show is presented by (Gary Davies) and is first screened Thursday 28th Feb at 19.30 - 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

Everything'sRosie
I've been trying to figure out who that bloke from Starship reminds me of. And then it suddenly hit me, it's Artful Dodger actor Jack Wilde.

          Bloke from Starship                                               The Artful Dodger

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

I'm starting to find that more and more shows in 87 are getting to be rather woeful with little or nothing appealing to me. Anyhow, i don't mind the Starship track and i'll vote for that.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

Everything'sRosie
I'd forgotten how good Wet Wet Wet's debut single was, hopefully they'll play it all on an upcoming show. And Jones the Voice did a stirring live vocal, but the smooth pop of Johnny Hates Jazz got my vote tonight.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

Gorgeous Daze
I've voted for a rock band who I saw live in the summer of 87 in Folkestone of all places. Downing a bottle of Merrydown cider beforehand on the beach beside the venue. Sadly I can't blame that for the fact that I failed to realize I was watching tongue in cheek performers, I was just naive. That's right, it wasn't The Cult and I'm glad to say not Europe either. It was Zodiac Mindwarp & The Love Reaction, it's a mean number whatever the motives and I always recognized that.

Wet Wet Wet? Johnny Hates Jazz? Sorry ER but I think we're departing wavelengths!

I only said the first Wet Wet Wet single, GD. They soon became dreadful

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

Gorgeous Daze
I hear you loud and clear again ER.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

 Being a keen Pat ( P.P. ) Arnold fan, there was someone who looked a lot like her in Labi Siffre’s backing line up for the performance of ‘So Strong’. But I was not completely convinced it was her, unlike with Billy Ocean last year. I feel that it was about 90% certain to be PP, but perhaps others will know for sure. But, if it not PP this one does a pretty good impersonation. How many Pat Arnold ringers can there be?
 In that earlier edition I was undecided between Labi Siffre and the Jesus and Mary Chain, but picked the East Kilbrideans because Labi would make another appearance, where I could vote for him again. I actually preferred the earlier performance, but in effect this TOTPs comes down to can anything else take it away from him.
 I cannot even remember the Johnny Hates Jazz song even now, so will pass on that. And I did not think much of 'Jones the Voice' in the earlier showings either- the big medallion or cross is never a good look, Tom. But this time was a lot better, but still not enough. Entertaining videos from Starship- but seen it too often now, and Cameo, and Wet, Wet, Wet do not reach my enthusiasm level. So none of them either.
  Gary Davies is a good host, but not a good comedian, so leave the jokey comments to others, please. And Europe and 'Carrie' was a better effort from the lads, but little could be worse than their previous one.
  I like The Cult, with Ian Astbury clearly channelling his inner First Native for all to see, with a good rocking tune and the video of Zodiac Mindwarp et al is fun to watch, as long as you are not taking them seriously. I mean, the trouble with parody is that some miss the intent. Both of those almost stole my choice from Labi this time.
  But no, Labi Siffre it is, with his song of unity, which has spawned so many cover versions. Maybe the Afrikaners made their own version? And here is a clue to any act trying to win my vote on these TOTPs polls. Get Pat Arnold to sing the chorus and appear on the show with you, or someone who looks so much like her, you confuse at least one person. I fear I might now be seeing PP in my sleep.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

CoffeeThing
Labi  Siffre by a whisker over Tom Jones with a great performance. I agree, these episodes are getting quite weak now and I'm no longer sure the word 'Top' belongs in the title.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

The Rubberband Man
An absolute stand out performance from Labi Siffre.  “(Something Inside) So Strong” is a truly amazing song.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

Gorgeous Daze
Looking not that far ahead now, with the explosive new double documentary 'Leaving Neverland' due to air on Channel 4 next week I think we're at quite some risk of future editions getting Jacko'ed. If a programme making such shocking claims was made about almost anyone else - purely as an example and with my apologies, let's say Rick Astley - and then watched by many millions there would be no doubt about an ensuing ban. But apparently such are the plausible and graphic nature of the first-person allegations that this time it seems Jackson's God-like immunity will finally be in serious jeopardy.

Anyone thinking that TOTP might just cut out the performances should remember that when the erstwhile Leader Of The Gang has appeared the whole edition has been skipped. Hopefully the fact that MJ is never in the studio again will encourage the lesser action, but that would need padding and we have to ask is there the will?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

Old Grey Whistler
In the past they have just edited out Gary Glitter and Jonathan King so I would think that they would just do the same for Jacko should they feel the need to do so. If it means they only have a 25 minute programme then they will probably just show a few extra trailers to fill the space.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

Gorgeous Daze
Old Grey Whistler wrote
In the past they have just edited out Gary Glitter and Jonathon King
Unfortunately that's incorrect. Both 21/6/84 and 13/12/84 with Gary Glitter and no-one else on the banned list were not shown. Though despite both having done time they were both deemed OK to screen before Yewtree blew up.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

A very poor show this week as far as i'm concerned, the only act that came close to deserving my vote was Labi Siffre, so it goes to him.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

Gorgeous Daze wrote
On the other hand they did show 15/10/81 when Gary Glitter was the first song on the programme and therefore a tricky one to edit out so who knows what they will do.  We are prejudging the situation with Jacko  anyway. It may not prove to be an issue.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

Everything'sRosie
Much zeal in Labi Siffre's performance for the fight ahead, although, it seems, apathy had already set in by November that year with follow-up single...Nothin's Gonna Change!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

Michael
The Cult get my vote. What a great no-nonsense rocker. Superb.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Exactly as the last edition - the only 2 performances of not for me were Labi Siffre and Tom Jones. I voted for Labi last time so this week I will go with my fellow countryman.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/05/87

PattiforPM
A bit of Gospel for me this time