This show is presented by (Simon Bates) and is first screened Thurs 1st Nov at 19.30 to 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

sueforever
Looks good at the moment Ryan, with some good artists tonight.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

Old Grey Whistler
sueforever wrote
Looks good at the moment Ryan, with some good artists tonight.
I hope you are not referring to Anita Dobson!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

Legsfan
I look forward to the show tonight. Especially the appearance of Angie Watts...I mean Anita Dobson.
Don't worry I'm still here!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

Instantly forgettable show. In the end i went for the kings of Cumbria, It Bites.

Not a brilliant prediction by Batesy about giving Bruce Hornsby six months and him being a mega star. Hardly set the charts on fire.

Anita Dobson. Now thats why i usually delay watching the programme so i can fast forward through sickly tripe that i couldn't stand watching 30 odd years before either.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

Legsfan
I voted for Anita Dobson. She can currently be seen on the EastEnders repeats on UKTV Drama.
Don't worry I'm still here!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

I must again go for It Bites it just stood out. The show itself had three good acts for me when I saw it this evening. When you saw the list. It gave you hope it would be a good show. I must say I thoght that Burn by Doctor and the Medics was good.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

First it was Galaxy, and then Phil Fearon & Galaxy, now its just Phil Fearon. He seems to have consumed the others, much like Gloria Estefan did with the Miami Sound Machine. Would have gone for Prince but we have the full version coming up, so I'll go with the aforementioned Mr Fearon. Anita Dobson. Dear oh dear oh dear. Still, she's Mrs Brian May these days so who's laughing now!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

Not a brilliant prediction by Batesy about giving Bruce Hornsby six months and him being a mega star. Hardly set the charts on fire.
Actually, he did become a mega star. Just not in the UK but in the US. The Way It Is went to No. 1 on the Billboard charts, and the album of the same name achieved triple platinum. Hornsby still regularly tours and releases albums, even if they are largely ignored by the public. IMHO his performance was easily the best thing on tonight's show.
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

The Rubberband Man
I had to press the mute button twice during that show   Not had to do that for a while.
Turned the volume up for Lionel Richie's Dancing On The Ceiling though

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

VintageVideos wrote
RYAN wrote
Not a brilliant prediction by Batesy about giving Bruce Hornsby six months and him being a mega star. Hardly set the charts on fire.
Actually, he did become a mega star.
When i think of megastars i think of the likes of Madonna, Elton John, Paul MaCartney, the late Michael Jackson. Dunno, maybe he is a megastar, but i personally don't think of Bruce Hornsby in the same class as those.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

VintageVideos
He certainly did not become as big as the ones you mentioned, as his stardom was more or less limited to the US and lasted only for about 2 years. Maybe the prefix "mega" doesn't quite apply to him
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

PattiforPM
I really like Bruce Hornsby's fairly brief but productive period in the limelight.  My understanding though is that he is primarily a jazz guy and is not actually all that fond of his "pop" output, as illustrated by his titling of the "Greatest Radio Hits" album I have.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

CoffeeThing
I thought meh when I saw the line-up, but it was better to watch than I expected. Lady in Red got my vote last week, so it was between It Bites and Bruce Hornsby. I went for It Bites because they were in the studio whilst The Range were a breaker. Not much in it though.

Edit: Close call though, I thought Chris de Burgh did well live. actually, scrap that, Chris de Burgh gets it again. Lucky I hadn't hit the button yet!
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

Gorgeous Daze
Not an edition I'd use to showcase 86. I was tempted to resort to a Breaker and go for Doctor & The Medics, whose song reminded me of the sort of stuff The Damned were doing around this time. But instead this week I've extended the hand of friendship to It Bites. I may just have gone for Phil Fearon had he not traded female backing singers for males.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

  Do you remember the Top Of The Pops Of 1970, when they had the ‘cage’ in which women and a few men could be seen dancing behind the artists. The bars gave a pleasing aesthetic appeal to the show, I always felt, and it was an eye catching dimension. The L shaped stage in the background here reminded me something of that.
Apart from this, I thought it was a very poor show. I was struggling to choose anything here. Particularly not the caterwauling Chris in the studio. I was tempted to go for It Bites, but their canines did not reach me. And is there anything more ‘80s’ than the video for Dancing On The Ceiling? The clothes, the music, the video, the attitude, the gurning.
Eventually, going beyond my usual practice, I have chosen the good Doctor again, for giving us another chance to see the delightful Anadin Brothers, all too fleetingly as a breaker video.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

I thought this edition was a very poor show with very little to choose from, in fact it only came down to two acts, Chris De Burgh, who did a fantastic live performance, and the one that got my vote, It Bites, i love the song so just had to vote for it.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

Michael
Not a great show, but there are a few tracks I quite like.

Given the It Bites got my vote last time, I'm going to cast my ballot in favour of the Paisley One.

"Girls and Boys" really has a great groove, and that it features the fantastic Wendy & Lisa adds a cherry on the top.

The Wikipedia article about this sing is most illuminating:

" Girls & Boys" is a funk offering featuring both live drumming as well as Linn drum machine. The keyboard hook is a peculiar duck-like sound."

A peculiar, duck-like sound?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

PattiforPM
I'm on the Ceiling with the other revellers

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 14/08/86

NickGregory92
Great show this week with a solid lineup of acts to choose from. Particularly enjoyed Lionel Richie, Bruce Hornsby and Phil Fearon, but my vote this week goes to the brilliant opener from It Bites. Such a fun and upbeat song - Francis Dunnery and the band looked like they had a whale of a time performing that song in the studio.

I’m curious as to who the ‘lady in red’ is that is seen appearing at the end of Chris De Burgh’s live performance. From an angle, it looked like Gina Keer to me.
12