This show is presented by (Simon Bates & Steve Wright) and is first screened Thursday 29th Nov at 19.30 to 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

The Rubberband Man
I think I should have stopped watching this TOTPs after The Pet Shop Boys.
It stated really well with "Suburbia", and then the show fell off the cliff.
PSB gets my vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

Michael
Not a great selection, but there’re, for me, a few reasonable tracks: Paul Hardcastle’s is quite innovative, and I like the groove of Midnight Star’s  track. Ultimately, though,  it’s the PSB’s “Suburbia” that gets my vote for its chorus’ melody alone.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

Unquestionably The Pet Shop Boys get my vote. One of the poorest shows of 86 IMHO.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

Well as ive also voted PSB to make it three votes, this means that either TRBM or Michael haven't clicked the Nabble poll.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

Dancer
I remember this show well.  Yes I was a big PSB's fan and still have a lot of their stuff but it was Sarah Brightman and Cliff who got my vote.  This song was just beyond beautiful.  Her voice is perfect.  Phantom of the Opera has to be the best musical ever.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

Mikey
Ever Loser Wins was written by Simon 'Summer of My Life' May, i don't think this will be winning somehow.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

PattiforPM
I vote for no mercy

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

Not a great deal to choose from. I'm with Dancer on this one and gave gone for Cliff Richard and Sarah Brightman. Lovely song well presented. Status Quo were my near rivals for top spot.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

Everything'sRosie
Easy choice really, The PSBs excellent Suburbia which was inspired by the cult film of the same name. Hopefully Status Quo will be on again as In The Army Now is a terrific record. In contrast, words fail me regarding the awfulness of that Marti Webb song...and I thought Anita Dobson had embarrassed herself

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

  In my new found love for the 80s, I was intending to approach this edition in a new, less critical, way. Sadly, there was not much to be positive about. Hosted by the gruesome twosome, the be-tied and be-spectacled Steve and Simon who looked like they wanted their own show- away from the pop charts. Can we be glad that no one gave it to them?
 Off we go. Firstly, the Pet Shop Boys. With Chris still looking like a sulky teenager, and Neil going as the cowboy, even seemingly riding an imaginary horse at one point. But the performance was one of the higher points of the show this week.
  Cliff Richard kissing a woman! Shock, horror! So everything one assumed about Cliff was wrong. No wait, it is Sarah Brightman- and she was someone this jaundice-eyed scribe considered putting on my 'Girls of the 70s' list in this fair parish not long ago- and would still make the 'Girls of the 80s' list, if nobody beats me to it. So, it is very understandable from Cliff. An over the top and over sugary video, nonetheless. ( I have toned down what I originally thought here, in fear of upsetting the easily offended )!
  Boris Gardiner and Marti Webb with more over sweet, over romantic songs. Hasn't life told them anything? Perhaps someone should have put the two in a Cliff and Sarah type video. I am sure the Newspapers of the day would have loved Boris and Marti getting stuck into a long smoochy kiss!
  The Housemartins and Midnight Star we see too little, so cannot pass judgement, and The Police song irritated me when it was first released years before- and the 1986 version is awful.
   Paul Hardcastle just seems too smug, and I admit I have never liked the tune much. Nil Points from me.
  Oh No No No! Please make it stop! Does Nick Berry have an alter ego scaring children? Anyway, I can make it stop because I was watching on the BBC iplayer- so I skipped the whole performance. Atrocious is too good a word for it.
  I like Status Quo, but I do not like 'In The Army Now' much, either. Perhaps a better studio version awaits.
  Which to choose from this poor quality edition. As I fancied being Sarah Brightman's 'Starship Trooper' way back when and still did in the 80s- lucky old Andrew L-W, I can picture myself with her, on a sunlit beach, singing about Phantoms, miles away from Paris. She could be my Christine- once I have kicked Cliff into the sea.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

Hanway2 wrote
I really enjoy your TOTPs write-ups Hanway. Entertaining with a nice smattering of humour. As for upsetting the easily offended. Well i don't think we have to many of that sort here on the forum, if any. Thank goodness !

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

Hanway2 wrote
In my new found love for the 80s, I was intending to approach this edition in a new, less critical, way. Sadly, there was not much to be positive about.
The only positive you can get from this show is it can't get any worse that this, and from now on it can only get better..... he said hopefully .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

Gorgeous Daze
Not much for me here. I've always quite liked the Status Quo number, but my vote goes to the PSBs. One of their best.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

  Many, many thanks for your kind words, Ryan. Of course, you know that will just encourage me to compose more stuff like this, whenever I can!
But, more seriously, is does help the journey through the trials and tribulations of life.  Being among friends here is a great help!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

Mikey
The PSBs should win this, so i'll vote for the Quo which i liked at the time and probably haven't heard since.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

What an awful show! Things started of really well with The Pet Shop Boys, the Cliff Richard and Sarah Brightman song wasn't too bad, and one that i hadn't heard for ages, then it was rapidly down hill from there, until we got to Status Quo, what a great track. As i always try and vote for a studio performances and not videos it has to be PSB, who are looking like this weeks deserving winners.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

Just voted for the Pet shop Boys.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

Who's That Hurll
Double figures for the synth-pop duo.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 16/10/86

PSBs it is then.

RYAN