This show is presented by (Gary Davies & Susie Mathis) and is first screened Friday 29th November at 19.30 - 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

Hanway2
 Because of unwelcome news from afar, and some things in life being more important than watching 31 year old TOTPS, no really, I was not able to give this edition my complete attention. Watching the second half as it was broadcast first and the first half on iplayer later.
  Susie Mathis did a good job as co-host, I felt, and there is a very engaging video of her with the group The Paper Dolls on YouTube, singing their 1968 hit while  standing on the back of a railway truck somewhere in Europe. Quite a catchy number it is too. I suspect that her TOTPS appearances never made it past the 60s.
  I was thinking of doing an FA cup themed review for the show even if there are 7 entrants, when 8 would be better- because there was a match on BBC2. Which sounds more interesting than has resulted. And does not involve me needing to think about many words.

              Round 1:
  Yazz v. All About Eve-    Easy away win.
  INXS v. Mica Paris-         Another comfortable away win.
  Tanita v. Robin-                Very hard fought and close tussle, with Tanita winning with goal in added time.
   Salt n Pepa-                      Bye into semi-final.

              Semi-Final
  All About Eve v. Mica-       Close, but AAE victory never in doubt.
  Tanita v. S&P.-                     Resounding win for T.

               Final.
    AAE v. T. -                       I think this exercise was just an excuse to express my admiration for Julianne by any means possible. The song
                               not as good as Martha’s Harbour, but good enough to lift this week’s Top Of The Pops Trophy.
                                                 Julianne, and Tim, all the way.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

Mikey
Theres not enough misery in pop, i'll give a vote to Tanita

You dismissed INXS rather quickly there Hanway, the Mica Paris tune was forgettable i thought

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

Hanway2
Mikey wrote

  I think it was the hat that won it! Michael Hutchence never wore a hat like that!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

Mikey
Obviously shes a hat fan then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csxdJmWKH9Y

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

The Rubberband Man
I actually didn't like anything on this show. Frustrating to see The Bangles "In Your Room" in the charts but not get featured on TOTPs.
I'm going for All About Eve – “What Kind Of Fool”  as it was good they were giving TOTPs another try with their latest single, and of course, performed it live.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

Dismal show, there were only two acts i considered voting for, INXS and Tanika Tikaram, i'm hoping i get another chance for INXS, so Tanika gets my vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

CoffeeThing
I really enjoyed All About Eve but INXS were part of the soundtrack to my youth and a big favourite of mine so they get my vote.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

PattiforPM
Good for you CT, seems to me INXS are wickedly underrated on here and this is one of their best

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

Everything'sRosie
Any show that kicks off with Yazz puts me on a downer straight away . What a strange human being she was. I find her a mass of contradictions. Despite her bare midriff and short skirt she remains strangely sexless and unfanciable. Maybe it's me.

Michael Hutchence also irritates me. It's like he's a front man designed by computer. A bit of Jagger, a smidgeon of Morrison. Gas Mk 3 etc etc.

Thank goodness for the devine Julianne Regan.

I rather liked Susie Mathis too. What a pity when she returns in 2008 it will be to an empty studio.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

Gorgeous Daze
A distant bell tells me it's All About Eve. Some welcome gothic atmosphere on TOTP.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

Who's That Hurll
I need to vote for INXS this afternoon.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

Just voted for All About Eve.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

Michael
Hello Ryan

Must admit, I'm finding it harder and harder to find songs to enthuse about in these shows, but this one was blessed with what I felt at the time was a beacon of hope: I Need You Tonight, which the late Mr Hutchens sang brilliantly.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

Everything'sRosie
For anyone, like me, who was quite taken by presenter Susie Mathis, here's the lady in her former guise as a Paper Doll. But, be warned, it's a ear worm.

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXUtmwpLDHQ

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 17/11/88

Everything'sRosie wrote
For anyone, like me, who was quite taken by presenter Susie Mathis, here's the lady in her former guise as a Paper Doll. But, be warned, it's a ear worm.

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXUtmwpLDHQ
  It is rather catchy isn't it, ER? Susie 'Tiger' Mathis and group mates, with a very pleasing video.
  It is the wonders of the Internet. Just think, in 1988 unless you already had the record, or found it in a second hand shop, you would not be able to hear it. It might get played on the radio, but probably only on 60s programmes. And when would you ever see the video?
 By the way, The Paper Dolls qualify for the weekend challenge, coming up. You may see more of them.