This show is presented by (Gary Davies) and is first screened Thursday 31st Jan at 19.30 - 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

Hanway2
  One big trouble I have with listening to these 1980s TOTPs is earworms, and the song stuck in my brain all this morning was 'Down To Earth' by Curiosity Killed The Cat. And try as I might, I could not get rid of it at all, until the strains of the chorus faded away from me late in the afternoon. And lo and behold, having sat down to watch this latest edition for review, it all jumps back out to bite me again. Down foul Satan! That's the earworm thingy- not you Ben. I appreciated your more subdued performance this time, as opposed to the earlier effort. Smooth and sophisticated, but a tiny bit too mellow. Not for me again. But I hope tomorrow dawns for me with alternative musical pleasures or annoyances.
  Was it really over 20 years since Eric Clapton had performed on the show? No personal appearances for 'Layla', or 'I Shot The Sheriff' for example? I am sure others will know for certain, but what concerns us here is this showing. And it is a real joy to see old Slowhand in action, on this number, with a very presentable band and backing singers. Maybe, yes.
  What to make of 'Male Stripper', I wonder. Not my thing at all- but I bet it was a blast in the clubs at the time. Something very different, indeed, as our learned presenter opined at the end. That's a definite nil points from Hanway house for this.
  Leading off tonight was the rockabilly sounds- recognise them anywhere- of Westworld, and 'Sonic Boom Boy'. Very good indeed. Engaging vocalist and efficient band- including the box shaped guitar- very satisfying. I don't remember them doing much else, but I liked them here. That's another yes, I feel.
  Carly Simon- nice song and video, but I will pass over for a studio performer. Likewise Ben E. King for the same reason as before. Great song, but a video has be twice as good as a studio run out to be picked, and this falls far too short. I'd have preferred to see a complete early performance, like at the beginning of the clip- but I know that was not going to happen.
   Europe- yuck! Hair metal- yuck, yuck! Over blown, look at us, aren't we fantastic videos- yuck, yuck and thrice yuck- to paraphrase my old friend Senna the Soothsayer- look it up youngsters! If Satan is around tonight, I would hope he could claim a few souls here, so not to waste the journey.
  Of the breakers, I have little to say apart from The Jets look like a fun and pleasing band, but I had to look them up to find any information about them, as I do not remember them at all. A family band so they are, and I am sure a visit to a concert of theirs was a fun thing back in they day, but they are overlooked here too.
  Gary the Guvnor in charge again, making a fine job of it, and I would suggest best when on his own, and so not intimidated by more forceful presenters. Like Steve- the 'Horrible Voice'!
   What shall I choose tonight? It has to be the whiff of the deep south, the early style of rock and roll, however faint and diluted.  Westworld it is.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

Westworld.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

zenon
Voted for Europe, rocking end to an otherwise average show.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

The Rubberband Man
Best performance was Man 2 Man Meets Man Parrish, but I think they could have made it a bit gayer.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Plenty to like about this edition - especially Curiosity,  Carly (wasn't she gorgeous as a teen) and old Clapped-Out. But the vote for sheer entertainment goes to the majorly camp Male Stripper
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

CoffeeThing
Some decent performances this week. I went for Eric Clapton.
This week, I are be mostly reflective

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

Everything'sRosie
If they'd played all of Skin Trade, I'd have gone for that. The Duranies get cool, who'd have thought it. I voted for Eric Clapton in the end, good song, though he did look a bit jaded.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

Went for Eric Clapton for me.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

A really good show tonight with some good acts and breakers, ages since i heard the Westworld and Man 2 man songs, and i really like Mental As Anything too so hopefully we'll get o see them in the studio on another show, but this week my vote goes to the legend that is Eric Clapton.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

Gorgeous Daze
Well whad'ya know? A very good show I thought. I really should mark the studio manifestation of 'God' by voting for him. I mean, I even like His song quite a lot. Buuurrt, Carly is almost as elusive and somehow Coming Around Again and the wistful opening of the family album appealed more.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

Carly Simon

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

Michael
A couple of tracks I like here. Decided to go with Mental as Anything as it reminds me of a very happy few hours spent at a funfair.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

NickGregory92
My vote goes to the legendary Eric Clapton, great to see him performing in the studio as well.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

A patchy Show from my perspective but I'm voting for Eric Clapton.   Overall I'd say: Westworld and Carly fair, Curiosity good, Male Stripper nope, Durans horrid, Simply Red and Mental AA good, Jets pap, Eric and Ben E good and Europe vote exit (sorry Boss)

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

Who's That Hurll
A better show than Friday's, I'm taking the only opportunity to vote for 'Live it Up'. The studio performance is Smithed and it didn't feature on 'Big Hits' when it should have.

Here's the video, with it's rather amusing ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ4EWEBibyQ

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 19/02/87

Dancer
I remember very well a guy at work buying the Male Stripper single and it had quite a controversial cover - I won't go into detail on here.  He bought it into the office and fetched it out of its bag (yes the record) and two female members of staff complained and bang went his promotion prospects.  Never understood that one at all but it went on for a while.