This show is presented by (Simon Bates & Janice Long) and is first screened Thursday 30th August at 19.30 to 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

Quite a good show this evening. Ive gone for The Pet Shop Boys and i record i confess passed me by first time around, but i instantly enjoyed it on hearing it, though i still don't remember it.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

Everything'sRosie
Pet Shop Boys for me too. A strong follow up single to West End Girls.

Even though Bates seemed to like it, I wonder if I'm the only one who found that Living Doll video excruciatingly unfunny.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

Everything'sRosie wrote
Even though Bates seemed to like it, I wonder if I'm the only one who found that Living Doll video excruciatingly unfunny.
I found it amusing back then, but i agree now its very naff indeed. Unlike some classic comedy shows, The Young Ones hasn't traveled the test of time to well.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

 I have to say that watching this edition, while being occupied with something else at the time. I did not enjoy it too much.
I was sick of seeing the Young Ones and Cliff Richard video at the time, not being very impressed by the Young Ones anyway, and even though I have not seen it in the intervening 32 years, still has not made me look more favourably upon it. Was I too old for that type of humour? 25 then and a lot older now!
I was tempted to pick Jim Diamond, not voting for him last time, but in the end went for the souped up sound of the The Real Thing, even if the 1976 version was a whole lot better.
Sorry, but I was not giving my full attention to the programme, but there was nothing that really made me want to stop what I was doing and watch more attentively.
How many editions of the show when Living Doll was number one will we miss? All of them, I hope!

The Young Ones broke the mould and was very cutting edge when it first aired back in 1982, and it was a trailblazer for the alternative comedy scene. Agreed that Living Doll has not aged too well though, but remember it's all for charity, so not all bad.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

For old times' sake, I've gone for The Real Thing.

I found Cliff and The Young Ones if anything more irritating now than then. The Young Ones were always a bit much for me, not a cool perception at the time. But looking with hindsight at the way alternative comedy killed off perfectly good entertainers I feel vindicated.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

Another reasonably decent show this week, and my vote goes to the fantastic Pet Shop Boys. I have to agree with folk on here about The Young Ones,  although back in the day i found them hilarious, they certainly haven't stood the test of time, in fact a few years ago i bought the box set, watched a couple of episodes and decided that was enough for me. I wonder if my tastes have changed, or maybe i've just grown up a bit in the last 30 years!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

Everything'sRosie
I didn't mind the TV show, GLR, although I thought Rik Mayall was by far the best thing about it. I think Living Doll might have been a bit after the TV show, hence the humour seemed laboured, like they were trying too hard to recreate the former vibe.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

The Rubberband Man
According to Simon Bates, we watched Diana Ross's new video, so I'm voting for that.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

Just a mention for Simon Mayo who got introduced in this show and who is still going strong these days on radios 2 and 5live. I used to quite like his breakfast show back in the day on Radio 1. Interesting though that he said he hails from Nottingham, yet never missed a moment on his show back then telling us for his love for Tottenham Hotspur.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

Everything'sRosie
Yes, it was nice getting our first glimpse of Simon Mayo. I'm a big admirer of Mayo, a superb broadcaster who I often listened to on drive time, not so much since they gave him a female co-host.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

Mikey
I've gone for Pet Shop Boys with one of the their lesser known hits. The more well known Opportunities or Suburbia will be next, although not sure which way round these were

Part of Livin Doll seemed to be missing from the video, the 'Instrumental Break' bit, where they list instruments they then proceed to break them.

Simon Mayo will be back in about 6 months (or 3 in BBC4 time) presenting with Gary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YURnnH5TOc4

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

NickGregory92
This week’s episode is the very last one on BBC4 where we get to see the ‘Yellow Pearl’ theme / opening credits, before the pending revamp. It was also good to see the first regular appearance of Simon Mayo, who I believe originates from London and began his broadcasting career at BBC Radio Nottingham, before moving to Radio 1 in ‘86.

As for show itself, a fairly decent episode. Enjoyed the performances from Jim Diamond and the Real Thing, but my vote goes to the play out track from Mr Mister.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

Just voted and I went for that great Liverpool group The Real Thing.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

CoffeeThing
The Real Thing this week for me. I liked Living Doll back in the day but I was always much more The Two Ronnies than The Young Ones.
This week, I are be mostly too warm

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

PattiforPM
I'm at the Pet Shop

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

Who's That Hurll
'Hi Ho Silver' receives my gold medal this week.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

A close thing, but The Real Thing sneak it.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 20/03/86

zenon
Such a fantastic show this week and the Yellow Pearl era on BBC Four goes off on a high.

Glad Jim Diamond got to perform Hi Ho Silver again and a second opportunity to see the glamorous Sam Brown alongside him. Enjoyed Diana Ross and Mr Mister too but the Pet Shop Boys were my favourite this week with their underplayed scorcher.

Although two shows away, by this edition Top of the Pops now has the look and feel of The Wizard era but still using the outgoing titles, theme tune and graphics.
12