This show is presented by (Simon Bates & Peter Powell) and is first screened Friday 1st March at 19.30 - 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

Gorgeous Daze
Can't beat a bit of Scottish prog for starters. Well you can really, but not often these days. You can usually beat a bit of Scottish sophisti-pop for seconds though.

Johnny Logan's other Eurovision winner was much better. Weren't most things in 1980?

Hope this isn't too un-PC but it amuses me that Mr Codpiece is called Blackmon, as that's exactly how they would say what he is in the, er, Black Country.

Thankfully when Whitney finally graced the studio it was without her usual overwrought boring sound. I'll mark the occasion with my vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

Everything'sRosie
The grinning prat takes it for me

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

Gorgeous Daze
Everything'sRosie wrote
The grinning prat takes it for me
Try saying that when we get to week 12 of Love Is All Around!

I will have bailed-out long before that happens.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

Gorgeous Daze
No wait ER! Remember all that Take That and Boyzone!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

The Rubberband Man
Had to sit through a lot of TOTPs before something came on that I liked. Feeling the love for Fleetwood Mac.
All bound for Lulu Land in an E Type Jag (but more likely to be an E reg)

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

Gorgeous Daze
The Rubberband Man wrote
Had to sit through a lot of TOTPs before something came on that I liked. Feeling the love for Fleetwood Mac.
So it finally took a Scottish prefix...

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

The Rubberband Man
Gorgeous Daze wrote
The Rubberband Man wrote
Mmm. That particular machination did cross my mind at the time
All bound for Lulu Land in an E Type Jag (but more likely to be an E reg)

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

Michael
I’m voting for Marillion, simply because they’re from my home town...

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

Another dreadful edition, another painful trip down 1987 memory lane. There was some stuff on this show that i loathed with a passion then and now. Couldn't stand Wet, Wet bloody Wet, though more particularly the grinning clown who fronted them. Hated the so called `Boss` whos nauseating songs seemed to me as an excuse for him to shout rather than sing. Though worst of all was Houstan, though the very worst from her isn't till 1992, when she unleashes her soppy number 1 that everyone apart from me seemed to like.

On saying that, i thought Marillion were okay and i'll give my vote to them.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

. Though worst of all was Houstan, though the very worst from her isn't till 1992, when she unleashes her soppy number 1 that everyone apart from me seemed to like.
If it is the song about ‘Loving Hugh’ you are referring to, then I also think it is dreadful. ( Though which Hugh is she singing to, Hugh Grant, Hugh Dennis, Hugh Scully)? I much much prefer the Dolly Parton original, sung with real feeling and emotion, not an over the top wallop, like Whitney’s.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

That was and still is, the only record ever that when i hear it on the radio, i have to physically go the the said appliance and change the channel or turn the thing off. Listening to Houstan singing that on a loop is the my most feared torture.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

PattiforPM
Just want to say that I am 100% with you on this one Ryan.  It's one of my absolute most hated songs too.  Fleetwood Mac for me

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

CoffeeThing
I like Springsteen a lot, also although not really my sort of music, I thought Whitney Houston gave an excellent live studio performance, but Fleetwood Mac get my vote. Quality music.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

  Marillion- Nice suit Mr. Fish. But cannot help you today. But, between you and me, you are better off not being here.   Just look what was to follow.
  Wet Wet Wet- No wonder Clydebank F.C disbanded. Could someone please encase their feet in cement, to stop that Marti fellow from bopping around, and if you do can you chuck them in the river, or any canal will do. That should wipe the smile off his face.
  Cameo- no thank you very much, no more to say on that.
  Donna Allen- Donna darling, you will never out Chaka Chaka Khan, not in a month of Sundays. Try finding your own style.
   Johnny Logan. Congrats on your Eurovision win, but the song from 1980 was a thousand times better. Maybe you should write your own next time- oh, he did!
  Bruce Springsteen- I am sure it was fun, but please ditch the rock clichés, or I will not watch any more. Thinking your the best there is does not make you so.
  Tottenham- Aren't we glad they lost to Coventry. Was that the worst football song ever released? I am sure Clydebank would have made a better effort- even Bradford Park Avenue could have done. Chas and Dave, what were you thinking?
  Whitney Houston- She can sing, she used to sing so well, but what happened? Did she bang her head on a bathroom cupboard, now all she does is caterwaul in a horrendous manner. All bombastic, and trite with no feeling or emotion whatsoever and, what is worse,  millions have copied the style since. Sing from the heart, not the head or how many dollars you can make.
  Starship- what them again. They have outlived their welcome, and this time there will be no coming back from oblivion. Just go- but you can leave Kim behind.
  Fleetwood Mac- Where's Peter Green when you need him? Speeding up and reversing the video left Stevie Nicks look like a flapping and buzzing insect. Was that the plan Lindsey? All right I accept that it makes an interesting and entertaining video. And you are all top quality musicians, when you want to be. But you are not the same band as the one who released 'Man of The World' or 'Need Your Love So Bad', the real Fleetwood Mac. Yes, time moves on and you have to feed yourselves. It isn't the 60s anymore. But that was only 20 years ago!
  Pete and Simes- sometimes we couldn't hear them, sometimes with a lot of echo- problems with the sound BBC?
  A foully dreadful show this week, are the 80s on a downward spiral- with what is coming up it certainly looks that way.
Really difficult to like any of these, NIL points to the lot of them. But as I have to award something, it will be to Fleetwood Mac. An entertaining video, if you do not see it too often.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

Everything'sRosie
As Frank Doberman put it...
If Houston was to walk past my house tapping a lolly pop stick against the railings, I'd let it pass the first time. But if she were to keep doing it, I'd say, Houston...NOOOOOOO! I will not always love you!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

Hated the so called `Boss` whos nauseating songs seemed to me as an excuse for him to shout rather than sing.
I saw Springsteen and The E Street Band in 1986 at Wembley, and I have to say they did put on a dynamic live show. However, as a tunesmith I don't really rate him at all. And when I hear people putting him on the same level as Dylan, Lennon/McCartney, Townsend, Jagger/Richards etc I think no way, not even close. Go and lie in a darkened room.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

Brilliant ER, that made me chuckle.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/05/87

PattiforPM
OK sorry but I do have to defend the Boss again after a bit of an onslaught.  He makes stirring and brilliant music and captures a whole generation of experience in America.  He has crafted some wonderful tunes like Born to Run, Racing in A Street, Dancing in the Dark, Tougher than the Rest, Fire and Blinded by the Light and his lyrics are very good too, even if he's no poet like  Dylan or Cohen.  When he sings a Dylan song though he can improve on the original like when he covered Chimes of Freedom for Amnesty International.  His style doesn't travel the Atlantic without taking on a little water perhaps but I too saw him in the mid 80s and his live Show with the brilliant Clarence on sax was a force of nature.  I agree he is not up there with the Beatles and the Stones but he deserves his place near the very top of the music world in my opinion even though he will never be a favourite on here I guess.