This show is presented by (Bruno Brookes & Gary Davies) and is first screened Friday 2nd Nov at 19.30 to 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

VintageVideos
Well, contrary to what Gary Davies said, "I Want To Wake Up With You" was not Boris Gardiner's first hit single. He had already charted 16 years earlier in 1970 with the instrumental "Elizabethan Reggae" which peaked at No. 14. Interestingly, a short sequence from TOTP with the audience dancing to this tune survived:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qQDXeNJDI0

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

The Rubberband Man
All very Radio was that edition of TOTPs

I'm voting for Prince.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

CoffeeThing
Another close one. Bruce Hornsby was once again very close but I went for Jermaine Stewart because I liked the song back then and still do. Does anyone else remember the instrumental section of Some Things Never Change being used on Final Score in the late 80s when Des Lynam was summing up the days results, or am I muddled again?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

  This weeks TOTPs were like a game of two halves. And this was the better of the two. Even Boris Gardner and 'I Want To Wake Up With You' has a charm. Featuring Westbourne Park Underground Station, and it's green pillars. Was the Underground the fashionable place to film in 1986- as with Paul McCartney?
  Mostly a good selection, except perhaps for- sorry VIn- the German duo, with a singer who reminded my wife of Ricky Martin- a name better known by younger pop-pickers! And Peter Cetera- ex Chicago although he wasn't with them at the time of 'I'm A Man' and a great Pan's People dance.
 I like 'We Don't Have To' as 80s stuff and the Prince video is interesting and entertaining in itself.  But have gone for another American with Bruce Hornsby and his 'serious message' song. A noted highlight of a song from 1986.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

VintageVideos
Hanway2 wrote
Mostly a good selection, except perhaps for- sorry VIn- the German duo
No reason to be sorry, Modern Talking were quite dreadful IMO.

Hanway2 wrote
And Peter Cetera- ex Chicago although he wasn't with them at the time of 'I'm A Man'
Sure he was. He even sang lead vocals on the second verse. Peter Cetera was among the founding members of Chicago or Chicago Transit Authority as they were called at the beginning.

Hanway2 wrote
But have gone for another American with Bruce Hornsby and his 'serious message' song. A noted highlight of a song from 1986.
Agree 100 %.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

PattiforPM
That's just the way it is for me too

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

Michael
This is a really 50/50 week for me: there're some real clunkers, but some highlights, too.

For this episode, I'm voting forJanet Jackson's "When I Think of You", simply because it's a really joyful little track. It also reminds me of a very 'eventful' but enjoyable evening spent at a nightclub near High Wycombe, sometime during the summer of 1986.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

NickGregory92
Not a bad show this week. Was very tempted to vote for Bruce Hornsby’s studio performance, but looking at the current poll, it appears Bruce is already storming towards victory, so my vote goes to Modern Talking

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

VintageVideos wrote
Well, contrary to what Gary Davies said, "I Want To Wake Up With You" was not Boris Gardiner's first hit single. He had already charted 16 years earlier in 1970 with the instrumental "Elizabethan Reggae" which peaked at No. 14. Interestingly, a short sequence from TOTP with the audience dancing to this tune survived:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qQDXeNJDI0
Great watch enjoyed in a Stourbridge pub this afternoon.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

Gorgeous Daze
I've opted for Depeche Mode. Not their best by a long chalk but still preferred to the alternatives.

Sorry all, my mistake. I had the idea that he had joined later, don’t know why. My memory is not as good as it was, is my excuse!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

CoffeeThing wrote
Does anyone else remember the instrumental section of Some Things Never Change being used on Final Score in the late 80s when Des Lynam was summing up the days results, or am I muddled again?
You ain't wrong CT. Brought that up at today's Meet-up before reading your post.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

I've gone for the last song on the show this week.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

Oddly the original record just calls it "Elizabeth Reggay", maybe there was something lost in translation on the British release.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

Only a breaker, but The Human League for me.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

If anyone fancies a snifter of slush everything will have a vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

Who's That Hurll
Well I like it and if anyone ridicules my choice, then they'll be on the end of a flying kick!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

PattiforPM
Hii-Yaa

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 21/08/86

Not as good as last nights show, but still a couple of decent acts, for me though there was only one contender and they always seem to secure my vote whenever they're on, the fantastic (and still touring) Depeche Mode
12