This show is presented by (Gary Davies & Steve Wright) and is first screened Friday 18th Jan at 19.30 - 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

The Rubberband Man
Steve ‘Silk’ Hurley – “Jack Your Body” got to #1 without any airplay on Radio 1.
It shouldn't really be in the charts at all, but the guy who compiled the chart never noticed it was too long and therefore broke the rules 😆

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

Some really good sounds on this show, infact more good uns than bad uns. Ive gone for UB40.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

Everything'sRosie
Down To Earth was a great record and cool dude Ben Volpierre certainly was a confident performer. Quite a good show. I'd forgotten that Taffy record, good pop song. The blonde one from Pepsi & Shirley was trying a bit too hard there, methinks. I'm sure she cringes watching that today. Superb live vocal from Randy Crawford, I'm glad she didn't get on a plane in 1981 to perform Rainy Night In Georgia in the studio though, for obvious reasons. My vote goes to CKTC.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

PattiforPM
Not really my cuppa this lot honestly but I quite liked Down to Earth too.  On the other hand I didn't, and hope I never need to, jack my body

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

The Rubberband Man
Steve ‘Silk’ Hurley is an icon. "Jack Your Body" was a game changer and a pivotal moment in the history of the genre that is dance music, paving the way for House and Acid House. It gets my vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

Gorgeous Daze
Easily the best show of the year so far. I like the alignment of Siouxsie and the Banshees' This Wheel's On Fire airing on the same day as June Whitfield's funeral, and hope she would have too. They get my vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

Mikey
Almaz for me.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I thought this was a seminal edition. Steve "Silk" Hurley turned us all on to house-style dance music - none of us kids had heard anything like it before. As much as I like it though, and with an honourable mention to a great debut by Curiosity Killed the Cat, for a beautiful voice, a haunting melody, and a live performance to boot, for me it has to be Randy Crawford this time.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

A great show this week which always makes voting difficult, so much to choose from, but the old punk in me is going for Siouxsie & The Banshees and a fantastic performance.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

CoffeeThing
As lovely as Siouxie looked in her backless catsuit my vote goes to an enjoyable Curiosity song and a very good studio performance.
This week, I are be mostly reflective

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

Michael
I would have gone for Swing Out Sister, but seeing as Corrine and her chums received my vote a few polls back, I'm voting for the magnificent Siouxsie.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

Who's That Hurll
I'm a big fan of Dance Music, so I was glad to see Mr Hurley take the number one spot. However, I'm going for something a little more down to earth.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

I voted for Swing Out Sister in this poll.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

Who's That Hurll wrote
I'm a big fan of Dance Music, so I was glad to see Mr Hurley take the number one spot.
Several people have expressed their admiration for this groundbreaker and I know it's probably just a taste thing (maybe lack thereof on my part!) but I try really hard to understand and appreciate trendsetting music and I totally failed on this one.  It just seems so repetitive and untuneful to me; maybe that is part of the genre and style but I do like some Dance music and it's derivatives, just not this one.  Stop rattling on P4PM, sorry

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

Everything'sRosie
I'm with you P4PM, however, some of these tracks have amazing hooks. Later this year (presuming BBC4 does 1988) we'll be getting Doctorin' The House, which I think is an amazing record. Just thinking, with regards to your noble profession, if that one doesn't appeal to you it's probably a lost cause

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

PattiforPM wrote
Several people have expressed their admiration for this groundbreaker and I know it's probably just a taste thing (maybe lack thereof on my part!) but I try really hard to understand and appreciate trendsetting music and I totally failed on this one.  It just seems so repetitive and untuneful to me; maybe that is part of the genre and style but I do like some Dance music and it's derivatives, just not this one.  Stop rattling on P4PM, sorry
I guess you either get it or you don’t.

“Jack Your Body” is a hugely significant record as you can pretty much pin point it as the original sound of the genre known as House. It’s credentials as a true "sound of the underground" are well established as the record was not played on national radio stations like Radio 1, but instead grew organically via DJs playing it in clubs like The Hacienda.
The record was a game changer. An unconventional new sound that paved the way for what was the last truly mass youth cultural phenomenon which was Acid House, and by extension, the eventual spread of EDM / House music across the globe.

Glad to see it’s doing so well in the poll…. not

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

The Rubberband Man wrote
“Jack Your Body” is a hugely significant record as you can pretty much pin point it as the original sound of the genre known as House.
Its not really my thing, but id take the "House Genre" over many others. Quite surprisingly, for such a significant record, the Popscene equivalent poll for the 22/01/87 has `Jack Your Body` trailing badly in last place. Seems they also are not keen.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

NickGregory92
The dulcet tones of Volpeliere-Pierrot and the gang get my vote this week

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 22/01/87

zenon
Siouxsie and the Banshees gets my vote. Just Absolutely Fabulous!
12