This show is presented by (Gary Davies & Peter Powell) and is first screened Thurs 25th Oct at 19.30 to 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 24/07/86
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 24/07/86

Not to sure of the broadcast date. BBCiplayer have it listed as 23rd July, whilst our friends at Popscene have it listed as the 24th.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 24/07/86

The Rubberband Man
I think this show was broadcast on 23rd July so as to avoid the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony which was broadcast on TOTPs' usual Thursday spot.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 24/07/86

Ah, we have Some Candy Talking by The Jesus & Mary Chain on the breakers tonight. I seem to recall an incident involving our old mate Mike Smith taking a hammer to a copy of this live on his radio show, whilst proclaiming sanctimoniously: "this is about heroin". Or words to that effect. It wasn't btw.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 24/07/86

Legsfan
BBC Genome lists it as Wednesday, 23rd July 1986.
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1986-07-23
Don't worry I'm still here!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 24/07/86

Everything'sRosie wrote
Ah, we have Some Candy Talking by The Jesus & Mary Chain on the breakers tonight. I seem to recall an incident involving our old mate Mike Smith taking a hammer to a copy of this live on his radio show, whilst proclaiming sanctimoniously: "this is about heroin". Or words to that effect. It wasn't btw.
Hmm. Well they were very derivative of The Velvet Underground, who certainly were fond of singing about heroin. The song is certainly ambiguous so no wonder people jumped to conclusions. Smith should have just refused to play it though instead of going down the publicity stunt route, The Jesus and Mary Chain weren't the sort of band expected in his slot anyhow.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/07/86

Average 86 fayre maybe but I quite enjoyed this one. The more because TOTP benefited from the edge of going out live, especially on a 'big occasion'.

I've voted for our friend Haywoode. Good glossy pop and I thought she looked lovelier than ever before. Nice figure.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 24/07/86

I agree, but the band claimed it was just about a girl on their estate. But then they would, wouldn't they. Much as John Lennon always insisted Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds wasn't about an LSD trip.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/07/86

What with the sexually frustrated Sinitta needing a big strong man to satisfy her and the Robert Palmer girly fest video i hope no feminists felt the need to chuck bricks at the TV. Actually i really enjoyed this show and didn't feel the need to fast forward anything. My vote goes to Haywoode, a song i liked back then and still sounds great now, helped by the fact the girl was splendid to look at. Yep feminists, on OFTDs its still okay to fancy attractive women.

Yes, Sinitta says 'Im tired of taking the lead/ I want a man who will dominate me'. Stick that on in your Student Union bars and smoke it you silly snowfakes!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/07/86

The Rubberband Man
Gorgeous Daze wrote
RYAN wrote
What with the sexually frustrated Sinitta needing a big strong man to satisfy her and the Robert Palmer girly fest video i hope no feminists felt the need to chuck bricks at the TV.
Yes, Sinitta says 'Im tired of taking the lead/ I want a man who will dominate me'.
It doesn't rhyme very well, does it?
Interestingly, the guy who wrote this song is now a Pentecostal minister and campaigns for the reinstatement of Section 28 and a ban on gay adoption.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/07/86

Gorgeous Daze
Ha the irony! The gay bars would be burning their anthem if they knew.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/07/86

  One of the joys of my watching these repeats of TOTPs is to rediscover some songs I had long forgotten. And in this edition that included 'What's The Colour Of Money' and 'Smile'. In fact I was sorely tempted to vote for either of them, as I liked their performances, but particularly for Hollywood Beyond for turning up at the studio with an accordion. Good Stuff!
  Some of the other tracks were truly awful, in my opinion. Robert Palmer's song was horrendous, and even the reappearance of the models can in no way rescue it. And Spandau Ballet were not much better.
  Doesn't Sinitta look different now- apart from being 30+ years older, I thought and I also enjoyed her video and that of Sun Street, as lightweight throwaway fare.
  Although despairing at myself for choosing anything associated with Stock, Aitken and Waterman, I have fallen as well for the undeniable and obvious delights of ( Sidney ) Haywoode. I shall comfort myself with the knowledge we are choosing favourite performance here, not production or anything else, as I berate myself in the corner of a darkened room somewhere.
   As an aside, who remembers watching the Royal Wedding Of 1986? As I don’t! I liked the Andrew and Sarah masked ones on the show though. Was that the real newly married couple underneath, I wonder?

I read somewhere that only about 7% of women actually identify as feminists. And that the meterosexual male is largely considered a wimp by most women. Just shows how the MSM is manipulated by a tiny seam of elitists in big cities to form "public" opinion. I might live in sticksville, but the women around here would always go for a Daniel Craig over someone like, say, a Nick Clegg. Mind the SAS come from around here so that might influence things a bit.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 24/07/86

Everything'sRosie wrote
Ah, we have Some Candy Talking by The Jesus & Mary Chain on the breakers tonight. I seem to recall an incident involving our old mate Mike Smith taking a hammer to a copy of this live on his radio show, whilst proclaiming sanctimoniously: "this is about heroin". Or words to that effect. It wasn't btw.
Whatever it's about, it gets my vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/07/86

Michael
Hollywood Beyond gets my vote this week (though I'd have voted for Madonna again if I hadn't in the last poll) as I thought he made an effort in cultivating a reasonably individual image.

For me, 1986 was the year that the rot started to set in, with Pop music becoming blander year on year, leaving us with today's piffle.

Mumble Rap, anyone?

[...]

I find it distasteful how an aggressive feminist minority faction attempts to project the air of misogyny and poor conduct onto any male who fails to conform to their agenda, when it could not be further from the truth. What's more, it negatively affects other females who prefer traditional roles. It's long past time people spoke up against what is hatred of anything and anybody failing to comply with the nonsense.

I was very meh this week and eventually,  unusually for me, went for Madonna.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/07/86

Everything'sRosie wrote
 the MSM is manipulated by a tiny seam of elitists in big cities to form "public" opinion.
Ain't that true. Although I'd add that the agenda of these elitists is indoctrinated into students at all levels of education, and with every Tom, Dick, Harry and Hussein going to university these days that's a huge and growing chunk of the public who do actually think this way. Frightening.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/07/86

Just voted for Katrina and the waves. I think someone as been listening to the Kinks.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/07/86

Who's That Hurll
A bouquet of flowers to Miss Haywoode.