This show is presented by (Gary Davies) and is first screened Friday 30th Nov at 19.30 to 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86

I wanted to go for The Pretenders, but as 50% of the original line-up were deceased by 1986, i realised i'd simply be voting for Chrissie and 3 what looked like session players who joined her on stage. Incidentally, the drummer was the former Haircut 100 drummer.

In the end i opted for the Bangles yet again on what was another quite ordinary show.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86

The Rubberband Man
A much better show tonight than the one we saw yesterday. I thought The Pretenders were brilliant and so were the Bangles. Low point was Nick Berry, incredible to think that ever got to #1
Best on the show was The Housemartins

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86

Michael
Go to be the Pretenders for me! A great song that's stood the test of time. It also has an excellent guitar solo.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86

Mikey
Cyndi Lauper.

Was that Anita i spotted doing backing vocals on the Billy Idol vid?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86

  A significant improvement in quality this week for TOTPs, hosted by the likeable and ever reliable Gary Davies- one of the best at the time.
  Time forbids me a longer precis for the show, but I was moved enough to consider 4 tracks for my choice on this occasion. It is always good to see The Pretenders, or Chrissie Hynde with a possible scratch band, with a memorable number. The performance including Chrissie going to join the crowd while the guitar solo was played.
  The Housemartins are always fun to watch- even when miming- with what must have been a very tiny trumpeter standing on Norman Cook's piano. I like Cyndi Lauper's 'True Colors'- US spelling- and enjoyed her part amid the fog of dry ice.
  And I have already picked 'Walk Like An Egyptian' by The Bangles in an earlier show, or I might have gone for their cheery and daft video, cut in with scenes of the band in action.
  Close To You seemed unrecognisable to the Carpenters version- danced to with maximum grace by Pan's People and Midnight Star's video was good enough, but I picked a video last time.
  Billy Idol, I cannot entertain, had become a poor parody of himself by this time. Whither Generation X! And can someone shut Nick Berry up- ( In a packing case if necessary ).  I had long stopped watching Eastenders by then and he would frighten my horses- if I had any.
  Out of the four possibilities, I will go for The Housemartins, Paul Heaton and chums as this weeks pick from me. A performance to remember. Can anyone name the trumpeter?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86

Mikey wrote
Cyndi Lauper.

Was that Anita i spotted doing backing vocals on the Billy Idol vid?
  I was wondering that myself- in the red and black dress. The only plus point of that performance. Can anyone confirm or otherwise?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86

Gorgeous Daze
I agree this was a significantly better edition than Thursday's. I've voted for The Housemartins with their underrated  follow-up to Happy Hour. I'm particularly impressed by the ghost trumpet solo! Seriously, it works to perfection. I much prefer Think For A Minute to Happy Hour. And MUCH MUCH to the next one!

To this day, Anita dresses for the stage in the style of the lady under consideration. And she was involved in the glam metal scene at this time. I'm leaning towards it being her.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86

I've just watched this, and if it wasn't Anita it was her identical twin. So I'd say definitely YES.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86

Yep i reckon its Anita too. Good spot Mikey.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86

Dancer
I went for Cindy Lauper.  Still have that single.  The most beautiful ballad.  BBC played a good one with Nick Berry releasing that song coinciding with his big storyline on Eastenders.  He got Cindy pregnant and she was married.  Remember him so well in those awful trousers and quiffed hair.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86

Hanway2
  Did Nick Berry get Cyndi Lauper pregnant, the things  that happened at the BBC? Or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86

CoffeeThing
I agree with Hanway2 that sadly Billy Idol had become a parody of himself by this time. The songs were okay, though far from his mid-80s pomp, but it's the excessive pouting and lip curling that makes it all a bit cringeworthy.

I had intended my vote this week to go to The Bangles having overlooked them in favour of Paul Simon last week, however, The Housemartins and Cyndi Lauper put up top opposition.

In the end I decided The Housemartins' studio performance stood out above their nevertheless very good indeed song, and that The Bangles were on video this week with one of their big hits, but I still prefer Eternal Flame which is some time away. So then, the rather excellent Cyndi Lauper singing a rather lovely song, somewhat surprisingly, gets my vote.

It's a treat for sore eyes having Cyndi and The Bangles to watch all on the same show.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86

Who's That Hurll
Having walked with The Bangles previously, I'm confident I'm making the right choice in The Pretenders.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86

A really good show this week. I almost voted for The Pretenders, then i thought about The Housemartins, or maybe Billy Idol with a decent song and video, but there was just a little too much lip curling for me, then along comes Cyndi Lauper with a great studio performance, and so she gets my vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 23/10/86