This show is presented by (Gary Davies) and is first screened Thursday 25th April at 19.30 - 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

I thought that was a really good show by 87 standards. Enjoyed the lot, well maybe not the grinning Scot and his mates. I think i know what will win this, the forum here seems to love a good `live version`. But for my vote im going for the video of TPSB & Dusty with what was one of my favourite songs of the year. Just a word on the boy Astley. Am i the only one around here who finds this song so much better some 3 decades on.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

VintageVideos
I think the show works much better without the 'breakers'. Didn't care too much for Then Jerico but the rest was quite good actually. I've always liked WWW's early period before they got all soppy so they will get my vote.
Respect the seven second delay we use

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

VintageVideos wrote
I think the show works much better without the 'breakers'.
+1. I agree, the absence of breakers makes the show feel less hurried and congested.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

The Rubberband Man
I quite like having the "breakers", but if you're doing "breakers", then play the whole song. Totally pointless and at times really frustrating to just play 20 - 30 seconds of a video.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

Was it me, or did that first record seem to go on forever? My vote goes to The PSBs & Dusty, tremendous record and those showgirls were just beautiful. And yes, NGGYU does sound better now, at the time it just seemed like such an obvious Motown rip-off, but I guess 32 years later, it just sounds as retro as the Motown stuff.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

  Can I ignore the poll and vote for the two bopping girls in the audience seen nearly everywhere in this edition? Yes? Or no then.
  1987- a time when I was very critical of the music scene, because I would be comparing it with the 70s- and found it seriously wanting. Now I would compare it with the modern day- and find the new even more  badly wanting.
 What to pick here, as my first choice is not an option.
   Rick Astley- never found the appeal, but being backed by SAW was always a problem. SAW, like Motown, but without the art, craft, ingenuity, inspiration, musicality, talent .... I could go on forever. SAW- music with no Soul, and that is no coincidence! So not him then.
 Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield- the video works well, but is not my choice today.  And the same applies to Prince and the our Sheena.
 No, I was most impressed by Carol Decker and T'Pau, despite the obvious miming. Carol may be able to start an argument in a empty broom cupboard, but she was one of my girls of the 80s, and I have always liked the song. So I am happy to give it my vote this time.
 Just to add, a thumbs up to Gary, a steady and reliable captain as always.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

CoffeeThing
I agree, this was a good programme for the era. Carol Decker was certainly one of my 80s crushes too. Many years later, I saw T’Pau in concert and she was still just as hot. My vote, though, goes once again to the excellent Colin Vearncombe, who rather like Mark Hollis was somewhat underrated at the time and subsequently has been recognised as rather good.

Yes, I agree Ryan, the Rick Astley material has held up well and sounds good.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
This was quite enjoyable fare. Certainly looking back, these early SAW numbers are catchy and good to listen to. By the time Kylie & Jason are leading the output, they are formulaic cut & paste affairs which just grate.

Rick gets my vote. He looks like a child, but his voice is so good it makes you wonder why he fell out of fashion for so so long. I'm sure the SAW connection, although it got him started, counted against him in the end.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

The Rubberband Man
What Have I Done To Deserve This?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

Gorgeous Daze
Patchy show which I'll only stretch as far as saying was a bit above other recent editions. I wouldn't choose to listen to it but even I think NGGYU sounds better at this far distance in time. But big voice notwithstanding hereon in Rick's just another part of SAW's hideous music-by-numbers formula which characterized the Kylie and Jason phenomenon.

No deliberation needed for my vote. The inter-generational collaboration between the PSBs and Dusty worked a treat and the video was good too.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

Another vote for the Pet shop Boys and Dusty Springfield for me.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

 I think i know what will win this, the forum here seems to love a good `live version`.
Hmm, looking like i was wrong on that i'm pleased to say.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

Michael
Dusty and those blokes gets my vote, not necessarily for this song, but because Dusty is pretty much my favourite female singer of all time, though I must say, I'm not at all keen on anything she released after 1974...

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

Who's That Hurll
I was going to vote for PSB & Dusty; but as that is well catered for, I will get Prince and Sheena off the mark. This is one of those shows where I feel everyone deserves some recognition.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

Dancer
I went for PSB and Dusty Springfield.  Perfect vehicle to re-launch her career.  They both worked wonders with her voice with her other hits In Private and Nothing has been Proved.  Geniuses of music.  The album Actually which this is from is the best album of the eighties.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

Legsfan
I voted for the lovely Dusty.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

NickGregory92
Very good show with plenty to choose from. I must admit I didn’t miss the absence of the breakers segment either.

My vote has to go to Mr Vearncombe with a wonderful live performance.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

Pretty decent show this week i thought, i liked Then Jerico, Wet Wet Wet, PSB and Dusty, but my vote goes to Black and a great live performance.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/08/87

Good result.

RYAN