This show is presented by (Gary Davies) and is first screened Thursday 20th Dec at 19.30 - 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

Possibly my least favourite show of 86, infact i thought it quite dreadful with Roger & Des the worst thing ive seen since the re-runs began. If i was to pick a favourite, id go for Debbie Harry.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

Gorgeous Daze
Purely on the song I'd have voted for Anita Baker, but Debbie had the much more interesting video and I've voted for her.

Is it possible to convince that I'm not being ironic in saying that Roger Whittaker was a very talented whistler? At least the two old squares made me smile and there are plenty since 76 who've brought this viewer less enjoyment.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

Dancer
This was a fair show.  This would be the beginning of the end for FGTH.  Apparently the group never performed on the songs - it was just Holly Johnson and backing singers.  The press had a field day around this time.  I voted for Debbie Harry.  Lovely video.  Five Star were a cheap imitation of Janet Jackson's choreography.  Never took to them.  Roger Whittaker and Des O'Connor was really pants.  Who bought that song?  Genesis were good.  This track I am sure got to No.1 in America.  The Nick Kamen track had Madonna in the background but was not credited so the die hard Madonna fans purchased this hence his only top ten single.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

Mikey
I quite liked Debbies mildly saucy video so i'll go for that.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

Everything'sRosie
Obviously Debbie Harry is going to win this, therefore, and because Roger Whittaker appearances on TotPs were becoming a rare thing, I'll go for The Skye Boat Song.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

  Oh Bonnie Prince Charlie, the Young Pretender. If only you had known the myriad of songs and tunes written for your inevitably doomed uprising. They build you up as a hero and neglect your deep failings as a man. Would that legend became fact and the mere truth a bowl of water to be dashed upon the sea, lost and never to be found again. Neither a King over the Water, nor in his own household. The lost cause of the Jacobite, and of a past eternally damned. But the Story remaineth forever, to inspire pride in the breasts of the ill informed. Prince Charlie Stuart would you have pursued your quest if you had known that 241 years later a frankly dreadful version of a modern song extolling a myth in your name would be fashionable? Would you? Did not your legacy mean anything to you?
  And Des, were Morecombe and Wise right about you? And had it really been 19 years since you were last on TOTPs? Des and the whistling Roger, mainstays of light entertainment shows of years gone by. No, no, no! And for you Des- a quadruple no!
  So, not Barry Davies as host but  the affable Gary instead. A good presenter, providing he leaves off the jokes. Not a great edition to watch either and I struggled to find anything I really wanted to vote for. FGTH were one of the better efforts, which shows how poor the rest of them were. But they already seemed like Yesterday's men, even with songs of contemporary life. Five Star, nearly too, but I could not quite vote for them either. but looking very glam in their sparkling blue outfits. And nice moves! Nick Kamen, can he actually sing? After watching this I am still not sure. But the two backing singers remind me of  'chav- ( a word not yet known )' versions of the Anadin Brothers, without the style and spirit. Again I wondered if I should pick them.
  Have we finally seen the last of 'Take My Breath Away'- it now takes my breath away, in boredom of repetition? And what will replace it?
  I have had to choose a video this week, as the studio efforts did not convince me. I was very close to going for the Saucy and Suggestive Debbie Harry. She was my second choice, after discarding Anita Baker- not quite good enough, Genesis- with a far better song and video than previously. ( Although I always felt Spitting Image promised more than they delivered, comedy wise ). But ultimately, in a surprise to myself, after brief deliberation and thought, I went for Iron Maiden. Bruce Dickinson et al. Not my favourite example of 'The New Wave of British Heavy Metal', but showing all the others how a good song and video should be done- without annoying and irritating the public, after the difficulties of recording the 'Somewhere In Time' album.
  Well someone had to choose them, no?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

CoffeeThing
Roger and Des, it has to be. Right in the midst of that oh so very 80s vibe they go and do that. Legends.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

Hanway2
  Can't change anything now, but I wonder if I was being too hard on Des and Roger in my enthusiasm to prick the beast that follows the Bonnie Prince Charlie! Oh Des- you were/are one of my mother's favourites! Des and Roger, come in and sit down and have a drop of Drambuie. Another myth!!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

Gorgeous Daze
Any patriotic Scots to further the debate/challenge to Ms Harry?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

Well, this show was absolutely awful, the worst in a long time. FGTH need to call it a day, and although i was a big fan of Blondie i never liked this song by Debby Harry. Five Star are becoming dull and repetitive, the Nick Kamen song is one i can't even remember, and if possible i try not to vote for videos or breakers, which leaves Roger and Des, who on any other week wouldn't get my vote, but you have to hand it to them, they've stood the test of time, and are certainly the best of the talent on offer this week.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

PattiforPM
I felt the Land of Confusion captured my feelings best here

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

I was going to vote for  “Land Of Confusion”, but after reading H2's review I'm going for “The Skye Boat Song”, a voyage I also have once taken.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

PattiforPM
If Rog and Des beat Debbie I think we should change the name of this site

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

The Rubberband Man wrote
I was going to vote for  “Land Of Confusion”, but after reading H2's review I'm going for “The Skye Boat Song”, I voyage I also have once taken.
Which is the same amount as Charles Edward Stuart.
See, reverse psychology. It always works!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Is it possible to convince that I'm not being ironic in saying that Roger Whittaker was a very talented whistler?
Yes. He was able to whistle “The Skye Boat Song” in German.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

PattiforPM wrote
If Rog and Des beat Debbie I think we should change the name of this site
Haha. And yet, as Des & Rog have produced plenty of sprogs between them, maybe things are coming full circle.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

Everything'sRosie wrote
Obviously Debbie Harry is going to win this,
Misplaced confidence ?

ER might be on a bit of a run! To quote last week: 'I think we can already mark this one up as another victory for the all conquering Kate'.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 27/11/86

Everything'sRosie
Yep, if anyone's interested I've got a good tip for the King George at Kempton Park on Boxing Day