This show is presented by (Janice Long & John Peel) and is first screened Thursday 8th Nov at 19.30 to 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 28/08/86
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 28/08/86

Gorgeous Daze
A fair show I thought. It started pretty well with the closeted excusenik and ended prettily with one of Janet Jackson's best. Always pleased to see The Stranglers, though a keytar is so not Dave Greenfield. Human is a bit glossy for the League, despite appearances to the contrary they never stopped being a bit Ee bah gum at heart. But it's a quality song, they had/have been missed, and they get my vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 28/08/86

Human League by a mile. Susanne's visit to the nail bar is worth a vote all on its own.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 28/08/86

Everything'sRosie
A delicious swipe at the AOR music of Peter Cetera by Peely, much to the amusement of Janice. The Human League had gone a bit glossy for me at this stage of their career, although Human is a good song. I went with Jermaine Stewart, a terrific floor-filler with an innocence about it which was rather charming.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 28/08/86

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Always pleased to see The Stranglers, though a keytar is so not Dave Greenfield.
Oh the horror of seeing that  !!!!   I really hope they were being ironic with it.

So do I hope they were being ironic RBM. But though always outsiders they did move with the times and in this instance I fear they lost the good judgement that usually came with it.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 28/08/86

CoffeeThing
A decent enough show tonight I thought. I liked The Cutting Crew back then and still now but as it was just a breaker on the show I went once again with Jermaine Stewart for a great performance of a great song. I hadn't realised he passed away way back in 1997.

Did anyone else think that the beat in When I Think Of You was incredibly similar to Chaka Khan's, I feel for you from a couple of years earlier? I could almost hear the Chaka Khan, Chaka Khan chant in my head it was so near.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 28/08/86

PattiforPM
Human League for me too but slim pickings indeed

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 28/08/86

   Sometimes I feel a bit lost watching these mid 80s Top Of The Pops. I was only 26 at the time, but my 'own' era feels like a decade or more earlier. And trying to review this among other members whose knowledge and expertise of the 1986 scene is so much better than mine can be daunting. Something like the Human League, whom I never got into much,  seem so recent even in their early 80s guise. But nice performance here and as has been noted, nice nails! And talking of Nice, here we have The Stranglers- and what had happened to them?
  Janice and John are guiding us once again through the mysteries of the pop charts. And an  average show it was for me.
  No fan of those mid 80s, big hair, big clothes and big ego bands- so Bon Jovi and The Cutting Crew both go out the window- with a demonstration of defenestration which I wish you all could witness. And I will not return to my Peter Cetera and Chicago faux pas from before, which embarrassed me faintly.
  The number 1 was and is any easy going song, and the video of places, Westbourne Park Station, Little Venice etc. in London, is sweet in itself but is still a video.
  I will choose a studio performance and have plumped for the opening act of Jermaine Stewart. They all look like they are having a lot of fun and a leather mini-skirt is always an eye catcher at my time of life. That will do for me.
  But Janet can be a bit insufferable at times, I feel, and not just with John!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 28/08/86

The show was fair last night.But my vote must go to the human league.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 28/08/86

The Rubberband Man
The video for “When I Think Of You” is amazing. There's only one edit in this entire video, otherwise it's all one take. So that, plus the fact it's also a great song, gets my vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 28/08/86

Mikey
Daniel Son

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 28/08/86

Just an average show this week with nothing really outstanding for me, really enjoyed the Human League though, so they get my vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 28/08/86

NickGregory92
Not a bad show this week. The two stand-out performances for me were from Jermaine Stewart and the Human League.

In the end, I went for ‘Human’, a terrific song that topped the charts in the U.S. and Canada, but surprisingly only managed to peak at No 8 here in the U.K.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 28/08/86

Human League it is then.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 28/08/86

Who's That Hurll
Sorry, I mixed up my poll closing times. I would have gone for Jermaine Stewart.