This show is presented by (Janice Long & John Peel ) and is first screened Thurs 4th Oct at 19.30 to 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

What a very good show this week with lots of songs i quite like. Tempted by Doctor & The Medics, Nu Shooz and Pete Wylie, but predictably the classic Robert Palmer video has snared my vote. Great song too, but its the models who understandably gain ones attention. I thought the drummer got a bit of a bad deal. Spending the entire routine hidden behind the singer, what little we did see of her showed her looking very bored and making a poor attempt at pretending to play the drums.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

VintageVideos
I'd like to think that I'm immune to the stuff

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

Spending the entire routine hidden behind the singer,
Even when mentioning pop videos, i notice i still slip into `dance` terminology.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

Am I the only person in the world who thinks those women in the Addicted To Love video look ridiculous. The song's rubbish too . The creativity of the Gabriel video for me, although I'd forgotten how great that Nu Shooz record was, but we'll be getting the full version later.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

Everything'sRosie wrote
Am I the only person in the world who thinks those women in the Addicted To Love video look ridiculous.
Quite possibly ER.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

PattiforPM
Subtlety always my forte

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

My vote must go to Peter Gabriel and Sledgehammer. All round a good programme with some good artists tonight.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

CoffeeThing
Quite a few came very close, but The Real Thing in the studio got my vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

Michael
I'm going with Nu Shooz. I've always liked dance music, and remember thinking this track was quite innovative at the time, though I must admit the sampled 'voice' riff is, on reflection, a bit jarring. If I'd had a second-place choice, I'd have voted for Doctor & the Medics, simply because the two dancers (The Anadin Brothers) are quite fascinating to watch.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

The Rubberband Man
Did anyone else spot Zoe Ball at the very end of the show? When John Peel's telling us about going to see Bogshed, she's standing next to him on his right wearing the golfing trousers.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

    The Mersey Edition. With more Liverpudlians than you can shake a stick at, seemingly. Another reasonably good show from 1986. But who to choose from this?
   Charity and Novelty records should be for Christmas! And I hope fervently that by the next episode the chickens will have disappeared. More Snooker players, please. Were Jimmy White and Alex Higgins not in the Matchroom Stable of Barry Hearn? So get their exposure here, plus Frank, Tessa, some England footballers including Chris Waddle- Don't give him any ideas!- and a confused Carl Lewis. But not for me.
   I like the Sledgehammer video, and the innovativeness it exhumed at the time. And the Robert Palmer video, he has come a long way from his Vinegar Joe days that lad. Remember the commotion that produced as well, with the models and the dresses of varying lengths. ( The second from right guitarist looked more animated than the others ). But I want to choose a studio performance.
  Who should we be Sinful with today? Pete Wylie and his Nuns nearly won me over, but I have picked the Doctor. The backing dancers enticed me this time. Definitely my type of dancer- in their long wigs and costumes! What a performance. Even if the track is not a patch on the Norman Greenbaum original.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

Everything'sRosie
Hanway2 wrote
And the Robert Palmer video, he has come a long way from his Vinegar Joe days that lad.
He went in the wrong direction. Vinegar Joe were cool  And the vids for I Didn't Mean To Turn You On & Simply Irresistible were way sexier than Addicted To Love.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

What a very good show this week with lots of songs i quite like. Tempted by Doctor & The Medics, Nu Shooz and Pete Wylie, but predictably the classic Robert Palmer video has snared my vote. Great song too, but its the models who understandably gain ones attention. I thought the drummer got a bit of a bad deal. Spending the entire routine hidden behind the singer, what little we did see of her showed her looking very bored and making a poor attempt at pretending to play the drums.
Spot the difference :-

                 Depeche Mode                                      Robert Palmer

All the girls make a poor attempt at pretending to play their instruments. A musician was hired to teach the models basic fingering techniques, but "gave up after about an hour and left". There's also several choreographic errors, like the models moving out of sync with one another, and moving during points with no back beat, such as the second chorus. I think it all adds to the charm and appeal of the video.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

Gorgeous Daze
Not a bad show. The singer with his girls in black gets my vote. The unorthodox Scouser, not the slick corporate one.

Talking of girls, alternatively a contemporaneous crimped-to-the-nines Fuzzbox on Whistle Test with their raw and dissonant Spirit In The Sky, before they do a switch to perform Console Me. Bet both are a must on our 21st Century OGW's cheeseboard!

I saw them perform these in 86 at a 'home' gig at the Birmingham Powerhouse on their 'Vindaloo Summer Special' tour, oddly I found myself standing next to their parents. Support came from local labelmates The Nightingales and droll comedian Ted Chippington, with whom the girls trebled up and made the lower reaches of the chart with their single Rockin' With Rita, which tied in with the tour. I also saw Doctor and the Medics at notorious Dudley dive JB's, they weren't bad but Fuzzbox reside fonder in the memory .

It's noticeable how Vicky bloomed and upped the balance of focus between here and Fuzzbox's reinvention three years later as a slick dance-pop group. Though I can vouch that at this stage she was already getting, ahem, calls of appreciation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZzRslovBnE

      Yes, Vinegar Joe were cool, and greatly underestimated and overlooked at the time.
   And Elkie Brooks was one I was considering posting up on the 'Girls from the 70s' thread.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

VintageVideos
I beg to differ. The tracks that I heard from Vinegar Joe aren't my cuppa tea at all. While some of Robert's solo ouput, on the other hand, is simply genius. I also like a number of Elkie's solo songs, especially those from the mid to late 70s. She had a great voice.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

The Rubberband Man wrote
All the girls make a poor attempt at pretending to play their instruments.
If you thought they were making a bad attempt at pretending to play their instruments, then what on earth was this geezer from DATM doing. He spent most of the performance simply patting his guitar, except for the time when he had the affront to try a poor whirling armed Pete Townsend impression.

10 out of 10 for trying to look like a cool dude, 0 out of 10 for making his guitar playing look real.

The Anadin Brothers seemed to forget they were supposed to be backing singers, as well.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 29/05/86

The Rubberband Man wrote
Did anyone else spot Zoe Ball at the very end of the show?
Never in a month of Sundays would i have spotted that. Just goes to show young un's could still get in the place as she would have been just 15½ in May 86.