Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/04/87

Well try as i might, im afraid i just don't get this Jesus & Mary Chain lot at all. I don't want to go all Suefan-ish on the five who voted for it, but all im seeing is a bunch of tuneless, incoherent, disinterested bunch of scruffy Herberts.

I cant see whats to like, please enlighten me.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/04/87

Hanway2
  Being one myself, I can fully connect with scruffy Herberts.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/04/87

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Disappointing as it hovered in the high twenties for a few weeks that TOTP completely overlooked The Damned's cracking goth-tinged cover of the Love classic, Alone Again Or. Especially as it turned out to be their last hit single. Slightly ridiculous video, admittedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYVDN27CrOo

Happily they're still going strong and last year Evil Spirits gave them their first ever Top Ten album.
I meant to comment on the brief mention of this too. Such a fantastic cover and some of my favourite guitar ever, beautifully haunting stuff.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/04/87

Well try as i might, im afraid i just don't get this Jesus & Mary Chain lot at all. I don't want to go all Suefan-ish on the five who voted for it, but all im seeing is a bunch of tuneless, incoherent, disinterested bunch of scruffy Herberts.

I cant see whats to like, please enlighten me.
Turn it up to TEN and just wallow in that jangly guitar and thumping bass. A wall of sound. I just love it, a deserved winner. Their live shows were something else, turning feedback into an art form and stirring the crowd up into a near-frenzy.

I've just realised with The Smiths winning the previous show, OFTDs has suddenly gone all indie.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/04/87

It’s just preferable to the overproduced, synthetic and unimaginative identikit pop stuff, or the power-ballad / MOR blandness that clogs up the charts and weekly TOPS shows around this time.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/04/87

Hanway2
The Rubberband Man wrote
It’s just preferable to the overproduced, synthetic and unimaginative identikit pop stuff, or the power-ballad / MOR blandness that clogs up the charts and weekly TOPS shows around this time.
 This is something to which I entirely agree, so a +1 from me.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/04/87

Everything'sRosie wrote
That Damned track was a long way from New Rose, wasn't it! I'd heard it before but always assumed it was by The Moody Blues, or something similar.
I've had the privilege of seeing both The Damned and Arthur Lee's Love perform Alone Again Or live. The song's parent album, Forever Changes, regularly and deservedly turns up in lists of the best albums of the sixties. It's a very impressive piece of work, well worth a place in any discerning music lover's collection.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/04/87

Everything'sRosie
Ah, right. It had the feel of a cover. Thanks, GD.