This show is presented by (Janice Long) and is first screened Friday 7th Dec at 19.30 to 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

zenon
Berlin, Kim Wilde and the Quo are my ones to look forward to.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

Everything'sRosie
I'm curious about Catherine Stock. Never heard of her. Doubtless I'll discover why later tonight. I'm looking forward to the Quo too. A couple of days ago I came across the original In The Army Now, by Dutch brothers Bolland & Bolland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apKbcj_vW0Q

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

Its quite unfathomable how the Nick Berry song managed 3 whole weeks at the top. A pleasant enough tune, but nothing special. Just simply a case of cashing in on the success of Eastenders. Ive not checked, but i wonder how well Eastenders actress Letitia Dean who got a mention in the chart run-down did with her attempt at breaking into the pop world ?

I found the show an equal split of highs and lows, with the two major highs being Mel & Kim and Kim Wilde. A blistering start to the show with M&K with a really great tune, matched later by Kim Wilde's effort. Its funny some of these songs sound so much better some 30 odd years later. Ive gotta pick one and im going for Kim Wilde by the finest of margins. She looked very self assured and i prefer her version to The Supremes.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

Everything'sRosie
I think you're been generous there with Nick Berry, Ryan. Awful song, awful voice. Mind, he's a towering talent compared to fellow soap "star" Jason Donovan. I think I might have bailed out of these repeats by the time he comes along though. It's the Quo for me tonight, didn't think much of any of the studio performances.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

The Rubberband Man
Brave of Gwen Guthrie to do a cover of a Carpenters classic. I think Karen would be turning in her grave at that seldom heard now effort.
Catherine Stock is Mike Stock's sister btw - explains everything

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

Oh just something i meant to mention about the Nick Berry video, yep the same video we are all rather fed up with. The girl in it is Julia Gale. Whos she i hear you ask ? She played the part of Trisha Yates sister (Carol Yates) in Grange Hill between 1978 & 82. She can also be seen in the promo vid for BA Robertson's Bang Bang in 1979 when she was one of the 4 dancer girls.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

 I find it difficult to take seriously any film which has Tom Cruise as some kind of action hero. This should not matter in a music poll, but does cloud my judgement for the song ‘Take My. Breath Away ‘, so I cannot vote for that.
 Janice also appears rather muted in this edition, dressed up like a struggling painter- house decorating work always pays well Janice, perhaps missing the spark of bouncing off John Peel.
Not a great edition I feel and I cannot work up the enthusiasm to comment in detail. Bon Jovi were the expected shocking selves, 80s American hair metal really not being my thing. The video was pretty dreadful too, at least 70s hair metal had better songs and instrumental dexterity.
 Catherine Stock I have forgotten about already, and Gwen Guthrie pulverises ‘Close To You’ to a pulp. Can you imagine Pan’s dancing to that? Neither Status Quo or Duran Duran catch my eye here, and Nick Berry must surely lost everything by now. Give up Nick, you have  no more shirts left!
I cannot choose Kim Wilde for, what us for me, a poor rendition of a great Motown track, and her performance barely brings any compensation.
I was undecided in which to choose between Mel and Kim for a fine studio performance or The Smiths for a surprisingly cheery song and video. ( Will we see them or the video in longer form at any time soon )?  But, in the end I have gone for the Appleby sisters for the enthusiastic and ebullient showing. And I never thought I would pick a SAW production over anything else, ever!
Says me, worryingly. Will it get harder to avoid their cancerous malignancy and over powering influence from now on?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

PattiforPM
Unlike you H2, and without auditing, I managed to get past the notion of voting for the song bringing to mind the most famous partaker of the World's best example of a WTF religion (sorry Boss)

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

VintageVideos
I'm voting for Kim Wilde and what I think is a really good 'update' of a classic 60's song.
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

Dancer
I voted for Berlin.  Lovely song and really wished I had bought this on a 12" single.  Giorgio Moroder took elements of Flashdance Love theme for this.

Nick Berry's song was No.1 for so long because it tied in with his big storyline on Eastenders.  His character got the married barmaid pregnant and she was married to his cousin.  Typical interbred relationships on those soaps but the controversial storylines on there were big time.  Totally pushed out all the other soaps.  Letitia Dean's song "Something outa Nothing" was with Gary Medford but nothing was really mentioned about it.  Never played on radio.  Get the feeling it was in the soap though as there was a band.  Too long ago but Nick Berry's storyline was the big one of this year. I never liked his voice.  Would have to wait awhile before we hear it again in the form of Showaddywaddy's Heartbeat.  One consellation is that his album he released in December 1986 limped into the chart at No.99 for one week and that was the end.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

VintageVideos wrote
I'm voting for Kim Wilde and what I think is a really good 'update' of a classic 60's song.
+ 1

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

The Rubberband Man
The really short clips they show of songs in the "Breakers" section is very annoying. I wish they'd be more respectful and show the videos properly.
Nevertheless, I'm voting for the band who chose a pic of Yootha Joyce from the 1965 film Catch Us If You Can for the cover of their single.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

Bit of a mixed bag this week, Mel & Kim were ok, as was the video for Berlin, but a pity The Smiths weren't  shown in full as it's a great tune and promo.  As for the rest the Catherine Stock and Gwen Guthrie songs were dreadful, and the breakers are just annoying. Tempted to vote for Status Quo, but as it's a video performance i decided to go for the fantastic Kim Wilde, looking great as always.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

CoffeeThing
I watched this then forgot to vote! It as between Berlin, Kim Wilde and Status Quo for me and could have gone any way. In the end Berlin got my vote for a lovely song and an absolute 80s classic.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

Who's That Hurll
I'll have three other chances to vote for Berlin, so I'll take this opportunity to vote for Mel and Kim.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86

Michael
Not the greatest week. There’re some real stinkers here...

I’m going with the Smiths on this poll. I’m not a fan as such, but I do love Johnny Marr’s guitar playing.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 30/10/86