This show is presented by (Janice Long & Mike Read) and is first screened Fri 26th Oct at 19.30 to 20.00. Check other listings for repeat screenings.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

Doc
This show looks a bit grim.
Still living in 1979

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

The Rubberband Man
Doc wrote
This show looks a bit grim.
Oh No!!! Chris De Burgh

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

Doc wrote
This show looks a bit grim.
As did Stan Ridgway's fate. But he made it a success!

I get goosebumps. Stan has to get my vote with one of the best records of the year. Strangely he was deserted by his band this second performance. Too much foliage perhaps.

Funny how the uber-cool Jesus and Mary Chain resemble nothing more than a bunch of skulking student introverts now.

Didn't recall Macca's breaker at all. Eighties production values don't suit him.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

The Rubberband Man
I'm voting for The Smiths, who disasterly get Smithed next week

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

Im going for It Bites. Another fine sound that i remember well from back in the day. Though back them, i remember when this record came out one of the R1 DJs remarking that they were the finest thing to come out of Carlisle. So 30 odd years on i thought id give them the old Wiki treatment and to my surprise i find they hail from the market town of Egremont, which is 40 odd miles away. Think i will blame it on Batesy, he can be the fall guy on that.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

Everything'sRosie
It really was time for Spandau Ballet to give up the ghost. On a show that featured The J&M Chain and The Smiths they looked woeful. And to think in 1980 they were thought of as being cutting edge (not by me). I went for the Reid Brothers and their song about a local lassie, no really,

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

Gorgeous Daze
Everything'sRosie wrote
It really was time for Spandau Ballet to give up the ghost. On a show that featured The J&M Chain and The Smiths they looked woeful.
So True. All they looked fit for was the high life on the French Riviera.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

Im not getting into this Jesus and Mary Chain malarkey at all. Its just a non-sound to my ears.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

Gorgeous Daze wrote
 Didn't recall Macca's breaker at all.
No, neither did i. Nice day to be riding the tube though with Macca out and about.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

Don't get me wrong I do actually like Some Candy Talking, it's the best JAMC song I can recall from their rather 'when you've heard one you've heard them all' reportoire. But their languid sound is trounced by Camouflage. I do love a good ghost story, it's an original and melodic record with pathos that really does moves me. I wasn't very pleased when it was one of those used in 'The Story Of 86' to illustrate all the novelty records in the charts this year.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

Like on Thursday night I voted for the last act. So again I have gone for the last act on the show. So that was It Bites and Calling all the Heroes.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

PattiforPM
I considered JaMC and the Smiths but I think this Ridgway route is the way to go for me too

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

Gorgeous Daze
Good call P4PM. Stan's fighting for the Platoon!

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

 As The Lady In Red is a favourite song for my wife, I have heard a few too many times than is good for me. I will definitely not be voting for that one.
But what else is there in this poorish edition fronted by Janice Long, looking like a sweet, and the ‘So Macho’ Mike Read.
We have Paul McCartney breezing about on the London Underground, The Smiths taking us on a tour of 80s Britain and more Jackson-Lite with Five Star.
I still do not like Spandau Ballet, especially this track nor It Bites, so leave them also. I could choose the ballad of the ghostly Marine, but, having overlooked them the previous week, I pick the Jesus & Mary Chain this time. Not a studio performance, but a video that is almost as if.
How many more editions will we have to suffer that infernal TLIR as number one? Could any of them be Smithed, I hope?

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

CoffeeThing
I went for Lady in Red. Time for a lay down!
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

Everything'sRosie
For anyone interested here is the response video to Papa Don't Preach. WARNING: contains a very high cringe factor.

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyF0_vRuEgU

You can say that again! Dreadful. Surprised to find the same Papa. Don't imagine 'daughter' was best pleased.

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86

Thanks ER, I was looking for a good Father Daughter song for my daughter's Wedding Dance next April and suffice to say I'm still looking

Re: VOTE HERE for your Fav TOTPs performance of the week 31/07/86