Your Questions for Sue Menhenick (her replies are in thread below)

Locked 51 messages Options

Your Questions for Sue Menhenick (her replies are in thread below)

  I have been in touch with Sue over the possibility of organizing a `Questions For Sue` thread on One For The Dads. She has kindly agreed to this and i invite you all to submit questions. I originally thought of making it one member one question, but see no reason why the questions cant be limitless in their total. So this is what i propose. We ask her a question/s in the form of a post, and you can ask as many questions as you like.
 The thread will be open for a period of 10 days, once that time is up i shall lock the thread. This will give Sue time to consider her responses. Once she is ready the thread will be re-opened for her replies. I hope very much you guys will come up with lots of questions. I will start the ball rolling with a set of questions in the next post.

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

Well Sue, i will be the first to submit some questions if i may. My questions revolve around the actual day back then that Legs & Co routines were recorded. Im keen to understand how Legs & Cos days panned out. I will ask you four questions.

Q1--Did Legs & Co/Flick always meet up on recording day (Wednesday) in the morning to practice further, or did you all travel separately to Television Centre in the afternoon and get ready for rehearsals there ?

Q2--When you filmed routines that were `not` infront of a studio audience, when were they filmed, morning or afternoon ?

Q3--When you performed routines before a studio audience, i guess you would do a dress rehearsal in the afternoon. Would you normally stay in costume until the performance or `de-frock` so to speak until it was your turn on the show ?

Q4--After you had performed your TOTPs routine, how did you like to un-wind ? Go for a quiet drink, go to a trendy West London night spot, or off home for rest and recuperation to get ready for another week, or did it change weekly ?

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

bucksby
Great idea Ryan and thanks Sue for taking the time. I will have a good think about what I can ask

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

JEZ
Thanks ryan for organising this ,and thanks sue for agreeing to do it ,i shall do my very best at not bombarding you with too many questions ,as ive already asked you loads in the past,but you have always done your very best to answer and help with the ones ive asked ,and it has always been appreciated

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

Are there any extra pressures to perform a good routine if you're doing a solo piece?, as opposed to being a part of a group routine, being as all of the attention will be focused on you, rather than it being shared with other dancers, so that if things go awry for you, nobody else can neccessarily take the blame, whereas being a part of a group of dancers, something goes wrong, & it's not always going to be perceived as being you're own fault personally.

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

Hello Sue, when Legs and Co finished on TOTP were any of the original girls offered the opportunity to make appearances with Zoo (I know Anita did)? I've  always thought it was a great shame to have lost  all our favourite dancers from the show at the same time.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

Angie
Hi there Sue, thank you for taking our questions.....much appreciated. I have 3 questions for you if you don't mind:

1,  Who were your influences as a performer throughout your career?

2,  Do you have a favourite piece of music (past or present) that you would have loved to have performed to?

3,  Who are your favourite musical artists?

Many thanks Sue.

Angie x

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

SuPaLu
What a great idea and a wonderful opportunity.Thanks Ryan and Sue.

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

Sue,

It is said that sometimes a routine would be abandoned if a song fell in the charts even after you had started rehearsing meaning that a quick job was needed for the new record. Did this really happen often and can you remember any routines like that ?

Did you ever meet Andrea ?

What is your favourite Pans People routine ?

LNV

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

LNV
Thanks Sue for allowing us to put our questions to you.  My thrilling three are:

1. What personal performance that you gave within a troupe dance, do you consider to be your most accomplished?

2. Was there ever a time when Legs & Co refused or were reluctant to do a certain dance number?

3. Is there any male actor/dancer/celebrity that you would have liked to have danced with?

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

AC/PD
I would like to ask Sue about watching back dance performances.
After routines were committed to tape, were yourself and the ladies ever afforded the opportunity to view a playback of the recently completed dance with the chance for constructive criticism to be made?
Following on from that, were there occasions where Legs & Co. would sit together and watch Top Of The Pops on a Thursday night and make comments , possibly of a light-hearted nature to each other?

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

Another question from me.

Weve seen Rosie slip in a couple of routines but always manage to keep on her feet. Sue was there ever an occasion when a TOTPs dancer slipped and ended up on her backside ? In other words did a routine ever have to be re-started because of this and did it happen in front of an audience. Obviously i would not expect you to name the dancer/s.

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

JEZ
if you can remember sue ,i know that you didnt appear on stage on louises last performance ,theres a ghost in my house , by r dean taylor ,but im sure you once told me that you did rehearse the song ,so it gave you some more practice at working with the rest of the girls ,i know the song was popular along the northern soul circuit ,but can you possibly remember how flick interpretated the song ,was it done in a literal way ,sort of set like the routine ,the ghost of love ,you know someone dressed as a ghost etc , i really cant remember watchingg the performance at the time ,many thanks

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

JEZ
when you were at school sue ,pans people were already performing on totp ,did you ever think to yourself then ,i want to be one of pans people when i leave dance school, as a lot of girls all over the uk dreamt  of being in the group ,in other words was it your ambition to join the group ,or did the job vacancy come along ,and you thought ,ill give it a go

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

It would be interesting to be reminded how the dance went as the only bit of the show I can remember is Sue being introduced and then spending the routine wondering which girl was Louise! I have a feeling that the clothes were white, but my recollection is so poor that is quite likely to be wrong. It's a real pity this show got wiped!

yes doc ,i agree ,this is one of those songs that i would be interested in finding out ,how flick decided  to interpretate the disc,its a great pity it was wiped

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

bucksby
Hi Sue

Hope you are well. Thanks for your time in answering the questions. As you have probably gathered  by now I am a bit of a TOTP & music nut in general. So here goes!

(1) After your final dance in December 1981 did you ever watch TOTP or couldn't you bear to?
(2) Who was your favourite TOTP presenter & What is your favourite year for TOTP
(3) Where there any other TV shows you would have liked to have featured in?
(4) Do you own the smurf song on single? If not I can send you a copy!

Thanks Sue!

ps I was joking about no 4.

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

My questions for Sue, I hope you don't mind me asking these:

How did the Legs reunions for the "Top of the Pops: The True Story" documentary in 2001 and "Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway" in 2003 come about? What was it like for you, and the whole troupe, to step back into the limelight on those occasions?

With the plethora of dance talent shows like Strictly Come Dancing and Got to Dance, do you feel there's a place on current TV for a Pan's/Legs style all-girl group to feature on a weekly basis? How do you feel this would work best?

Which words of advice would you give to someone with an ambition to pursue a career as a dancer?

Thank you Sue for gracefully accepting our questions here, and I'm looking forward to hearing your replies.

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

Old Bill
This post was updated on .
Thanks Ryan for sorting this... and thanks Sue! What a great sport.

But cripes.... my mind's gone blank! I can't think of anything worthwhile. And as there's so many really good questions already, can I just say hello?

Hello Sue! :-) xxx

**EDIT**
Oh... although - how about "Do you know how the name 'Legs & Co' was actually chosen? Was it properly judged from all the entries, or just picked out of a proverbial hat? Or a bit of mixture of the two. And what did you think of when you were told?"
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: Your Questions for Sue Menhenick.

PattiForPM
This is a fantastic opportunity for us all so many thanks Sue and to Ryan also for this idea.  I will need time to think before seeming coherent too perhaps.  In the meantime maybe I could ask two things ;

1 For how long after the end of TOTPs appearances in 1981 were you still accepting Dance engagements I wonder (I guess I'm asking when Sue retired from public dancing if that's OK)

2. This is an old chestnut for me but I am still wondering about songs which went down the Chart after rehearsals started and got Frisbeed.  Can I ask Sue if any song comes to mind which comes into this category.  Also were the costumes for the Frisbeed number often kept for the last minute replacement and if so does this help in recalling any songs where the costumes didn't suit the new song as well

Once again thanks for this chance to increase our understanding.