Your average Legs & Co routine officially, well kinda.

Your average Legs & Co routine officially, well kinda.

This will only be of interest to the real anoraks amoung us, of which there are few. But following the brief chat on the `This Is It` comments thread that centered on the bottom of the top 100 Legs ratings, i got to wondering about positions 100 and below. I will create a list that covers these in due course (maybe i should have done this a while back). But what did interest me greatly was finding the Legs & Co routine that finds itself smack in the centre of the ratings, half way. In other words `Your average Legs & Co routine`.

We covered 273 Totps Legs & Co performances/routines/accompaniments on the Legs & Co comments section. Shame it wasn't an even number, but that means we are looking for position number 136.5 (which obviously can't be). Fortunately two performances feature at positions 136 and 137 with the same score rating. That score rating average is 8.08 (8.48 is position 100 by the way).

One of these is Lulu and Jeremy dancing to `Endless Love`. All very nice but obviously not a full routine. So that leaves the other on 8.08 and this is a full routine.

So i have great pleasure in announcing that `My Feet Keep Dancing` from January 1980 to be our Average Legs & Co routine. I think i'd have it placed a little higher if i could, but the numbers do not lie and its slap bang centre.
I wonder what the average Pans or Ruby equivalent is ?

Re: Your average Legs & Co routine officially, well kinda.

Everything'sRosie
My Feet Keep Dancing is way above average imho. Some mean marking must have put it where it is. In fact, I'd say it's an archetypal L&C routine.

Re: Your average Legs & Co routine officially, well kinda.

VintageVideos
It's simply a testimony of how good they were. Even the average routine is actually a great one.

The average Pan's People routine would be My Sweet Lord. My opinion about that one is well-known and documented, but with five 10's it's quite a popular performance. Its average is 8.00 by the way which is pretty close to the average Legs routine.

Re: Your average Legs & Co routine officially, well kinda.

VintageVideos wrote
 Its average is 8.00 by the way which is pretty close to the average Legs routine.
Yes in a way my opening post is a bit deceiving. Although `My Feet Keep Dancing` is exactly central in the 273 Legs routines that were score rated 8.08, that figure is open to conjecture regarding the title of this thread.

Reason why is that the average Legs & Co routine when all the yearly totals are added together gives an average score of 7.88.

So why the discrepancy ? Well if you consider the range of score ratings range from 9.83 all the way down to 3.39. Their are far fewer lower scoring than higher scoring, so its little wonder the 136th on the list does not exactly match the overall average. Confusing isn't it.

By the way, no Legs routine lands exactly on an average of 7.88. Roadrunner from 1977 is one away with 7.87 and D.I.S.C.O from 1980 is 7.89. Im sure most folk on here would consider both of those routines to be more the archetypal average Legs & Co routine than MFKD.

Re: Your average Legs & Co routine officially, well kinda.

Everything'sRosie wrote
Depends how one considers/defines the word `average`. You are quite correct its way better than average, yet the figures show its sits centrally, in other words the average routine.

Re: Your average Legs & Co routine officially, well kinda.

VintageVideos wrote
The average Pan's People routine would be My Sweet Lord. My opinion about that one is well-known and documented,
and unlike you Vin, ive have MSL way above average, in song and routine.

I couldn't resist adding all the 104 Pans averages together and seeing what the average was then. It comes out at 8.04. So that makes the centrally placed Pans routine in the list (MSL) sitting below the collated overall average, unlike the centrally placed Legs routine (MFKD) that sits above the collated overall average.

I guess im getting a bit to much anorak here now aren't i.

Re: Your average Legs & Co routine officially, well kinda.

Hanway2
 Ryan, I have nothing to add with regard to averages, but now have a sudden urge to start calling you ‘Statto’.

Re: Your average Legs & Co routine officially, well kinda.

I have no probs with being called statto. Its when they start calling me saddo that i become worried !

Re: Your average Legs & Co routine officially, well kinda.

Dancer
I think My Feet Keep Dancing suffered the same as the "Lonely Together" routine.  It comes across as rushed as there had been the holiday season.  This song was very repetitive but still fantastic.  I felt the girls did not give it their all as the song was edited.  To give this full marks it would have to be the full version to include the tap dancing.  I think the girls in an ideal world should have tap danced (or faked it) to this song.  The song did not reach very high in the charts which was a shame but I do think that people were fed up with that sound outside of the disco.  It was the last song released from the excellent Risque album and from thereon in Chic would not come into the charts on their own until much later in the eighties with Jack Le Freak.  The outfits and the pointing to the feet were a bit naff but again this was out of their hands.

With Endless Love I would be surprised if any man has this in his collection as a sole seven inch single.  It is a real slushy love song and from a real sad film but men really did not buy into this song.  It was the women who went for this.  In terms of the routine I feel maybe Lulu did well here as she excelled dancing on her own or with someone else as she did with Philip to Maureen McGovern but the male dancer here just seemed clumsy.  He grimaced when he put her down and she was not heavy at all.  His outfit was also ill fitting.  Leather trousers on men had to fit where they touch and are perfect for muscle-bound men where you simply cannot put your hand in their pocket.  With this guy's leather ensemble they were loose and ill-placed.  Not sure really what sort of outfit he could have adorned - maybe flat fronted formal trousers in slim fit and loose collared white slim fit shirt tucked in showing belt.

Amazed the latter is an average score but I think the song had an underlying factor.  Prefer the b-side.   The former I think to conclude is that people had enough of Chic and this song is fantastic there is not really much to it only the two verses and the chorus.  The 12" single is just the same but with lengthier instrumental tap dancing and lengthier chorus which is just perfect for disco.  Maybe the girls could have done different style dancing to this as the charleston as this had made some sort of comeback around this time as many were doing the charleston to Alicia Bridges song.

Re: Your average Legs & Co routine officially, well kinda.

PattiforPM
You're not boring Dancer

Re: Your average Legs & Co routine officially, well kinda.

Dancer
LOL.  Thanks P4PM.  I looked up the Chic song in my chart book last night and this had gone from 29 to 32 pre-Christmas so this definitely was a "rushed job" as no way would they rehearse a song that had dropped especially as this was the third track off the album.  Looking through the charts of that week the outfits would not fit anything else.  We all know on the first two weeks of January the charts are really odd in that Christmas songs were still hovering around and re-entries.  I was wondering if they had previously rehearsed to Three Degrees My Simple Heart which dropped from nine to ten.  They had never danced to any of their other Ariola tracks so this is a guess but nothing else springs to mind unless they were rehearsing something below the Top 40.