Quantcast

Your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

Sorry, i did mean YLT.

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

I picked the Winner but it was hard to dodge Green River and I Think of You, although in the end a rehearsal with Andi drop-out and a B&W performance couldn't match up to the Boots and Bikini Snowball fight

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

Old Grey Whistler
Yes I agree that Barbados is a worthy winner. What surprised me most though is how badly Sexy Sugar Plum did.

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

PattiForPM wrote
I picked the Winner but it was hard to dodge Green River and I Think of You, although in the end a rehearsal with Andi drop-out and a B&W performance couldn't match up to the Boots and Bikini Snowball fight
+1000

Your train of thought and conclusion is exactly in line with mine.
Fur coats, bikinis underneath, a snowball fight and a nonchalant snowman with a view we'd all die for. A worthy winner.

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

BeautifulBabs
Confused I seriously thought people had begun to like I think of you but the only vote was me

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

PattiForPM
I do really like it BB but it was up against stiff competition here

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

Dancer
I voted for The Tymes - fantastic dance and track.  I was hospitalised very briefly when this was televised and I always remember the nurses dancing to it and replicating the dance on TV.  It was so funny.  The whole ward was in hysterics.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Wish you'd had iPhones back then Dancer (well maybe not but I wish you had footage of this anyway)

Was really funny because the auxillaries had tight uniform on and were fairly hefty around the hip department.  There were about 15 on that floor excluding the patients.  Memorable.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

They are all smashing routines: Green River and You Sexy Sugar Plum have great energy and drive; Little Bit of Love has such spirit; I Think Of You is a brilliant example of clever choreography (and is amongst my top ten Pans); You Little Trustmaker is cuteness personified; and Mama, while cultured, is nonetheless a little gem.   However, none of them have that 'hit you between the eyes' reveal you get on a Bajan beach whatever the season!

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

VintageVideos wrote
The winner is a great routine but far from being my favourite. I guess it's the most popular Pan's routine among Legs & Co. fans.
I think that sums it up, Vin. It's very easy imagining Barbados being done by Legs. It's effectively a prototype for what was to come.

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

Suefan
Everything'sRosie wrote
VintageVideos wrote
The winner is a great routine but far from being my favourite. I guess it's the most popular Pan's routine among Legs & Co. fans.
I think that sums it up, Vin. It's very easy imagining Barbados being done by Legs. It's effectively a prototype for what was to come.
No, I feel that is rather over simplifying the outcome.  Had one of the earlier troupe line-ups danced the same winter Barbados routine I think it would have been just as likely to have topped the poll.

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

VintageVideos
Suefan wrote
I think it would have been just as likely to have topped the poll.
I don't. It has been said many times before on here that most of our members are more Legs & Co. fans than fans of Pan's People. And for the average Legs & Co. fan (please pardon the wording), Pan's People before June 1974 are clearly of lesser interest - at least that has always been my impression. The outcome of this poll kinda proves my point.
Of course, you might say that the best routines were indeed performed past June 1974 as demonstrated by the two winners. I wouldn't expect anything else from a Sue-fan. But then we would be going round in circles.

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

I do know a couple of dyed in the wool Legs & Co fans who post here regularly who simply will not entertain Pans People pre-74ish. So that kind of backs up Vin's statement.

Im not a gambling man, but id have put my last pound on the winning favourite routine coming from either 74, 75 or less likely 76. So again, i cant disagree with Vin.

For me personally, well i prefer the later stuff, by that i mean with Sue and then the two new girls. But i will now happily embrace their earlier work, having spent more time watching routines.

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

I do have a couple more Pans People poll ideas up my sleeve and the first of them will be released tomorrow evening.

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

Then again i could play devils advocate and suggest 3 of the top 6 Pans routines in the PPCs are routines that pre-date Sue. Okay, score rating routines is a bit different to picking favourites, but those same Legs & Co fans who rated them are virtually the same who voted in the polls.

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

VintageVideos
Look at the poll for 1974 and then remember what you said yourself about the possible outcome. That says it all.

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

PansLegs
I think a factor is also the survival rate. We could say for the sake of argument that 1 in 4 performances are stand-outs in some way. So the fact that the post June '74 survival rate of 80% is double that of Jan'70-May'74 at 40% (approx figures), it is more likely the best routines from that 4 year + earlier period may not exist.

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

Yes I often wonder how many early gems are missing.  Nevertheless I still think we have evidence of developments between 1970 and the mid 1970s in Flick's craft, costumes, TV production and Music so I honestly really can't imagine many of the 1970-72 dances measuring up to the later ones in my opinion but 1973-74 is my turning point and if more of these were available who knows?

Re: VOTE HERE, for your fav TOTPS Pans performance of all the yearly poll winners.

Old Grey Whistler
I consider myself a Legs & Co fan but maybe not a typical one, as my favourite era of Pans are their middle years when Cherry had joined but Louise was still there. In fact those two are probably my favourite Pans dancers. I wonder if the poll results would have been different if I Think Of You had of been in colour and You Little Trustmaker and Barbados were in a scratchy black and white? I suspect the overall winner may have been the same but I think it would have been closer.