Your favourite routine from 1979 (two polls combined)

Your favourite routine from 1979 (two polls combined)

Its that time again, the big end of year vote to determine a yearly winner from the monthly winners we've been voting on. For a couple of reasons (that i will explain shortly) i want to change the way we make our selections (for this poll only). At this time last year i introduced a Nabble Poll in which i asked you to make 6 selections out of the 15 on show. That was all good and worked pretty well, so why change it (i hear you say).
I want to give the ballot a bit more edge, with the result more of a mystery. In the Nabble poll all six selections are of equal value, in other words if we all voted for both The Blondie biggies, then we would have a tie. So what i propose is this.
Instead of the Nabble Poll, i will simply ask you to type out your six selections in order of preference. So starting with your first fav to your 6th fav. I will then award the 6 points to your first selection, five points to your second and so on. Infact this is nothing new as we used to do polls this way in the old days. But you must make it simple for me to decipher, by that i mean your first to last choices. Choices in no particular order will sadly be declined and not included.
But one thing i really want to do is to try to avoid any mention of the current score situation once the poll is under way. By all means keep a scorecard at home, but please try not to give the game away by telling the rest of the forum how things are looking in terms of the top six.
One other thing id like to emphasize is the fact that we are voting on our`Favourites`. By that i mean the routines that give you the most pleasure when viewing. This doesn't always equate to what routines had the best choreography or the best dancing. Just because you gave maximums in the L&Co ratings section, doesn't automatically mean you should include those routines for your six selections. In that section i for one am more inclined to be scoring for fancy footwork and masterful choreography, rather than the girls pulling faces etc, which make routines more of a favourite for me.
The poll will come to an end at 5pm on Saturday the 3rd of January. Shortly after this i will be announcing the winner. As i say, please try to avoid mentioning the latest score situation once the poll is under way.
These are the 15 choices.
------------------------
ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE   --  January winner

HEART OF GLASS      --   February winner

TURN THE MUSIC UP     --     March winner

LOVE YOU INSIDE OUT     --   April winner

SUNDAY GIRL     --    May winner

SAY WHEN      --    June winner

BORN TO BE ALIVE     --    July winner

MORNING DANCE     --     August winner

STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF      --     September winner

THEM HEAVY PEOPLE     --     October winner

STAR       --     November winner

OFF THE WALL      --      December winner

SHAKE YOUR BODY (DOWN TO THE GROUND)   --  April 2nd place

I WANT YOUR LOVE       --     March 2nd place

RISE       --     November 2nd place
So here are my six choices. (id be more inclined to watch these six of the fifteen up for selection).

1st=Off The Wall  =  6 points

2nd=Born To Be Alive   =  5 points

3rd=Them Heavy People   =   4 points

4th=Strut Your Funky Stuff   =  3 points

5th==Turn The Music Up    =   2 points

6th=Sunday Girl   =   1 point

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

PattiForPM
I think this ranking your choices is the best method rather than choosing six by Nabble poll so good on you Ryan.  Here are my six and I must say it was tough to leave out all the others

1.  Sunday Girl (it'd win 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980 and 1981 too BTW)
2.  One Nation under a Groove (you wanna fight that army?)
3.  Them Heavy People (so not an appropriate title)
4.  Off the Wall (Best ever use of a leather jacket and possibly best TOTP audience since early 1970s)
5.  Morning Dance (Pure joy, as good as freshly squeezed orange juice and Eggs Benedict)
6.  Love You inside Out (quite a thing to behold even with its little peccadillos)

Good luck to all these fine Dances and thanks to the lovely Dancers and their Choreographer for this "difficult" task

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

Ah I love this ranking system, I think it's much better than just picking 6 routines and giving them one point each. So here are the results of the German jury:

(my selections will of course reflect my special liking for soul/funk songs)

1. One Nation Under A Groove (why on earth did I give it just a 9?)
2. Morning Dance (great jazzy tune with moves that look so smooth)
3. Say When (so much fun)
4. Star (so many smiles - it's just grrrrreat to watch)
5. Heart Of Glass (everyone's favourite, much prefer that song to Sunday Girl)
6. Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground) (that was the most difficult choice of all as all the others had to be left out)

One final look at the table... yeah that's the way it will stay
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

Adorable Gillusion
1. Heart Of Glass
2. Sunday Girl
3. Them Heavy People
4. Love You Inside Out
5. Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)
6. Say When

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

First - Strut Your Funky Stuff
Second - I Want Your Love
Third - Sunday Girl
Forth - Them Heavy People
Fifth - Off The Wall
Sixth - Heart Of Glass

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

Cutting down to 8 was relatively easy, but it was really hard from there. The quality of the best dances was exceptionally good in 1979. The top 5 are so close they could easily be swapped around.

1. Heart Of Glass (Love the dance, the split screens, loads of close ups and Rosie's amazingly sexy moody look).

2. Sunday Girl (Oh so classy!).

3. Say When (A wonderfully fun routine with the girls playing to the camera, always enjoy watching this).

4. Them Heavy People (Perfect for the song).

5. Love You Inside Out (So different from what most people would have expected the dance to be, very enjoyable).

6. Off The Wall (Great dance and love the girls expressions).
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

What a fabulous selection and depending on the mood any of these could be my years favourite but at the moment we have:

1.  Love you inside out
2.  Shake your body
3.  Sunday girl
4.  Them heavy people
5.  One nation under a groove
6.  Turn the music up

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

Thanks for your selections so far guys. Im enjoying watching the scoreboard on my computer fill up. I bet some of you are keeping score also. It will be a long wait until Saturday, but that how it has to be.

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

bucksby
ok here are mine:

1) off the wall
2) sunday girl
3) heart of glass
4) them heavy people
5) morning dance
6) love you inside and out

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

1 - Heart Of Glass
2 - Sunday Girl
3 - Strut Your Funky Stuff
4 - Shake Your Body(Down To The Ground)
5 - Rise
6 - Them Heavy People

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

PattiForPM
The Greco-Roman team scores!

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

VintageVideos
Yep it's nice to note that every routine from the list has now been nominated at least once.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

Yes, but please no more discussing the current state of play. Thanks. (polite request and all that)

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

Difficult enough to pick six, let alone place them in order.

1) Them Heavy People  - A perfect match for the record. Could have been jointly choreographed by both Flick and Kate Bush
2) Heart Of Glass - Bang goes that intro and you're in! A definite 'video' set, nicely lit, as are the dancers
3) Say When - Slightly loopy. The most humorous of the final choices, thanks to watchable Rosie.
4) I Want Your Love - Best of both worlds with attractive romance and womanly raunchiness.
5) Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)  - Good, tight choreography in unison but with a carefree feeling
6) Morning Dance - Cool, varied moves. Choreographed improvisation in style.

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

Sorry.  You know how hard I find it not to cheerlead and banter on these Threads but I'll promise to do better boss

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

1. "Heart of Glass"

2. "Say When"

3. "Sunday Girl"

4. "Off the Wall"

5. "Strut Your Funky Stuff"

6. "I Want Your Love"

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

1) MORNING DANCE     - perfect routine - joyful & sublime
2) HEART OF GLASS    - Yup - can't fault this one bit.
3) I WANT YOUR LOVE  - one minute a nice wedding dress routine then down to the honeymoon part - yowsah
4) LOVE YOU INSIDE OUT  - totally under-rated routine with Sue looking simply delicious
5) SUNDAY GIRL  - Wonder what padlock fits Patti's key - any guess P4PM
6) SAY WHEN  - Loopy and off the wall bonkers routine.

Think this throws it a bit...LOL

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

PattiForPM
Everybody vote and let's break all polling records here!  This Troupe is worth it and 1979 was a great year! (thinly veiled slightly inebriated post, sorry boss)

Re: VOTE HERE, ON THE END OF YEAR POLL.

PaulF
The  votes have been counted and checked by an independent adjudicator and are as follows:

6 points Morning Dance
5 points Them Heavy People
4 points Heart of Glass
3 points Shake Your Body
2 points Sunday Girl
1 point Say When

That concludes the votes from the West Sussex Jury.
Paul