first 5 singles purchased

JEZ
 i know this topic does not involve the dancing ladies but ive always found what music and records people were into as a kid growing up interesting ,so ryan ,p4pm ,suefan dave and any other posters dont be shy share youre music tastes from long ago by telling us the first 5 single records you purchased in your youth ,i will start with my rather embarrasing five

1, come what may -vicky leandros ,eurovison winner 1972 ,my older sister of 5 years took me into town and for some reason i wanted amazing grace by the royal scots draggon band ,but she made me buy the vicky leandros single instead of which she sat on by mistake and broke it in half not long after
2 ,dancing on a saturday night -barry blue 1973
3 ,you can do magic -limmie and family cookin ,1973
4 ,monster mash -bobby boris picket and the crypt kickers -1973
5 ,dreamboat - limmie and family cookin -1973

PLEASE NOTE RYAN if u do decide to share your musical tastes from the past dont cheat by pretending you were a macho dude kid lol by putting black sabbath or something be honest if you purchased little jimmy osmonds ,long haired lover from liverpool then list it ,nobodys list can be as bad as mine ,cheers

Re: first 5 singles purchased

Dave
Hi Jez,this thread is going to be interesting !!! I used to be more of an albums guy (only cos I thought it sounded and looked cooler when I went round to mates houses ! Plonker !) Anyway...in no particular.  ...and I cant remember the release dates...
1. My mum bought this,not me,but she played it a lot ! Telstar....(dont remember the group!)
2. Beachboys...Good vibrations
3. Heard it through the Grapevine
4.10cc..Not in love (went down great with the girlfriends...dont tell the wife !)
5.Free..Alright now (classic)
6. Simon and Garfunkle..Bridge over troubled water.
As already mentioned, I was more of an album buyer even from an early spotty youth so these (apart from my mums choice !) were a few that I parted with my pocket monet for.....the rest of my family had some odd choices to say the least,
ie  Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Polka Dot Bikini...Tom Jones..Delilah, Des OConner..1,2,3, oh Leary, Cilla Black..Alfie and unfortunately a lot of country and western ! (Not my cup of tea Im afraid !)    Dave

Re: first 5 singles purchased

Dave/Jez the records i started buying as a 9 year old child in 1972 are really to embarrassing to print on here. I could try and be all macho like you say and put down Deep purple and Black Sabbath but i cant lie. If you really want me to write them down, then dont laugh or anybody else for that mater. Remember i was a child.
 The Osmonds `Crazy Horses`, Cavid Cassidy `How can i be sure`, Chuck Berry `My ding a ling`The Osmonds `Let me in`,Gilbert Osullivan` Clair`. I told you it was bad,  you get no BS from this guy !!!

Re: first 5 singles purchased

Dave
They arnt that bad Ryan....they could be worse ! Did you really buy My Ding A Ling ?  Interesting one for old Chick to have done.....I did like his Johnny be Good rendition...               Dave.

Re: first 5 singles purchased

Yes Dave i bought all those records to my utter embarrassment. What a truely awful period of time for music that was. My favourite period is like most people when they are aged between 15 and 17 so for me its 78-80.

well i never thought id see the day ryan you confessed to the osmonds if i was truthful i bought donnys young love but forgot on purpose to add this to my first 5 thought id get enough stick about the others id bought, my second lot of singles werent that bad really ,forever ,roy wood ,love on a mountain top ,robert knight ,i love you love me love, gary glitter , devil gate drive ,suzi q and youre sixteen by ringo starr and unlike ryan i didnt really like 78 -80 that much ,i thought the glam rock ,poppy type songs of 72 -75 were the best

Really liked the punk era as it gave the charts a much needed kick up the backside after the overdose of some (not all) awful disco....really liked and still do..the Stranglers !   Dave

hiya dave i really was not into the punk era at all ,my brother had a lot of punk singles my dad used to do some tut tutting when he put the record player on ,i remember when i bought the barry blue single i played and played it in my room with my sisters tape recorder mic in one hand and punching the other arm up to the sky when the line of the song came dance dance dance the night away ,trying to copy barry blues movements to the song ,how sad is that

Jez, you have a fantastic sense of the ridiculous and humour about you....I am now storing up some wonderful images of you in comedic situations.....from getting your head stuck in the railings at the Tiffanys disco to you miming with a pretend mike and punching the air like a true pop star ! Tell me, have you ever used the tennis racket for the ultimate guitar solo or was it just air guitar all the way ?!! Thanks for making me laugh pal !     Dave.

Re: first 5 singles purchased

JEZ
a tennis racket dave in our house we were lucky to get a ball let alone a racket to go with it .

Re: first 5 singles purchased

Dave, `Telstar` was by The Tornados. I think every household in Britain had that, i know we had it. It was released in 1962 in believe. 123 By Len Barry was superb, i used to dance something called Northern Soul to that. I also love Cilla Black, `Alfie` was a good record but i loved her two more famous tacks `Your my world` and `Anyone who had a heart`.

Re: first 5 singles purchased

Dave
Thanks Ryan.....another one I remember was I think by the Righteous Brothers ...Sealed with a Kiss...was that 62 as well ? My tired old brain is having flash backs of certain songs that high light points of growing up...some great others just downright  embarassing if you know what I mean !    Dave

Re: first 5 singles purchased

Dave
You know who was also great....Dusty Springfield ! Also do you remember Petula Clarke and Dont Sleep in the Subway Darling ?  And how about old slippery lips...Kathy Kirby !! Oh its all flooding back now !!

Re: first 5 singles purchased

 Dave i dont think the Righteous Brothers sang that. I think it was Brian Hyland and yes i reckon about 1962 is about right.

Re: first 5 singles purchased

Yeah Dusty was very good and what a voice, my fav was `The look of love`. Not keen on Pet Clark though `Down Town` was of course very listenable. Kathy Kirby sorta passed me by mate.

Re: first 5 singles purchased

Dave
Kathy Kirby used to wear so much lip gloss that it was ridiculous ! Comedians of the time were always taking the p...things like if she had a drink in the pub the landlords would attach a hook to the glass so her lips wouldnt slide off ! Stupid really. Dusty really could sing.....she also did a single with the Pet Shop Boys not that long before she died....I think it was What have I Done to Deserve This ....(may have got the song title wrong !!) Off for my meal now Ryan ...get back to you later !    Dave.

Re: first 5 singles purchased

PattiforPM
My first single was "Lay Down" by the Strawbs, which I've mentioned before.  The next four are more of a blur after that but soon after I bought  "Son of My Father" by Chicory Tip (An early Moroder classic), "Wig Wam Bam" by Sweet, "Hi Ho Silver Lining" a Mickey Most corruption of Jeff Beck (who disowns it but I still love it) and "Paper Plane" by Status Quo.  I still have all my singles but only brought about half to Canada with me.  I still buy CD's of current Pop and refuse to download music, more fool me.