jo cook i salute you

JEZ
as i have a day off from work today i just thought id post my own personal views on choreographer and dancer jo cook .this lady and her dance troupe the gojos are rarely rememberd or credited when totp is mentioned anywhere if it wasnt for these pioneers of dance on totp we might not be here on this forum today discussing pans people ruby flipper or legs and co coz if it hadnt been that these ladies had made their inpact on totp with the bbc bosses or the public viewers the rest of the dancers might have never happened ,the idea to include a dance troupe came in nov 64 to cover a disc that no coverage was available of but as you all know with the bbc if someone or somebody didnt like them they were out look at poor old ruby flipper the same happened to the album spot the usa charts they got rid of those coz the viewers didnt like them so the gojos paved the way with their popularity for pans people ruby flipper legs and co and zoo ,iam not saying pans people would not have made it but i think it would have been occasionally on the odd variety tv show because no other tv was on regulally like totp ,i might be wrong but if it wasnt for the gojos making their mark on the dance front on totp we wouldent be able to say do you remember legs dancing to that or hey have you got pans dancing to that etc today,also pans people will tell you themselves it was totp that really got them well and truly established ,so jo cook i for one truly salute you

Re: jo cook i salute you

Suefan
Well said Jez.  We all stand on the shoulders of great men and women.

Re: jo cook i salute you

unfortunatley i do not remember the gojos i have only seen them dance to reflections on the boxing day 67 edition this is their only totp performance left in the archives and even on this routine they are wearing hoods and it makes it difficult to see the girls faces but the list of some of the 60s songs that the go jos performed are true 60s classic tunes for me, here are a few of the dics they wiggled to in with their beehive hairstyles mini skirts and white plastic boots
baby love -diana ross
downtown -petula clark
glad all over -dc5
the last time-the rolling stones
mr tambourine man-the byrds
boots r made for walkin-nancy sinatra
you cant hurry love-supremes
reach out ill be there-4 tops
workin in a coalmine-lee dorsey
sloop john b -beach boys
sweet soul music-arthur conley
the letter-box tops

Re: jo cook i salute you

Young Mister Grace
Administrator

This is a long shot, but take a look at this clip of Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Cuthbert Dibble & Grub, doing Zabadak on TOTP in 1967.

From 1:59 to 2:08, we get a shot of four audience dancers on a different stage: the woman in the dark dress front & centre seems to be leading the dancers in a confident, professional-ish manner. Could this be Jo Cook?

I know it's unlikely, but they're something "pro" about her: I thought I'd ask the forum.

YMG

You've all done vey well!

Re: jo cook i salute you

JEZ
thanks for finding this clip ymg but im afraid no its not jo cook on stage however jo can be seen on your main blog under the gojos title she can be seen on both the clips on there on the beat room and in the film gonks go beat ,ive always liked the song zabadak though so thanks for the clip

Re: jo cook i salute you

Doubleday
Plus aren't the Go-Jos in The True Story, also part of YMG's wonderful collection on here.

But I fear our younger viewers will be puzzled by dc5 and the Trumpton reference.

So just for you ... were Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Titch five people or six?

Re: jo cook i salute you

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
This is an example of why punctuation is important: the correct name for the group is:

"Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich"

...and when you punctuate it properly, it's obviously five Guys: Dave Dee and his four pals.

Young Professor Grace
You've all done vey well!

Re: jo cook i salute you

PattiforPM
Aha YMG another devotee of "Eats shoots and leaves"  I see

Re: jo cook i salute you

JEZ
yes doubleday jo and linda from the gojos were on totp the true story the only bit of tv credit for their work on totp they had as far as i am aware ,ymg someday when your not do busy mate can you post their reflections clip from boxing day 67 please
JEZ