legs and co debut

JEZ
on this subject im probably gonna have certain music lovers around the world frowning with disgust but why did mr nash decide to give flick 6 records out of 10 that were at the bottom end of the charts when i was growing up in the 70s if i really liked a song and legs and co performed to it id got my fav song and fav dancers together two in one what more can anyone ask for than that, but the songs he gave legs and co were not very popular were not bought thats why they were way down the charts i know it sometimes happened but come on 6 in two months ,i would have much preffered them to have danced to some classics like hurt by the manhattans or dont take away the music tavares even bonnie tylers lost in france would have been better than that jaws record .the only couple of songs from there first few weeks that i thought were decent were rock n me and somebody to love ,having said this the routines they did perform to were brill its just i would have liked to have seen them gyrate to something a bit higher up in the charts ,and before anyone jumps on me to say how could you say that about the average white band etc this is just my personal view totp was about songs climbing the charts not stuck at the bottom
JEZ
LNV

Re: legs and co debut

LNV
Legs & Co danced to records from artists who were unavailable to make an appearance on TOTP. Mainly American acts, David Soul, Michael Jackson, and countless groups from across the pond.

Re: legs and co debut

JEZ
i know mr m but tavares or manhattens never graced the totp studios and they were higher up in the charts

Re: legs and co debut

Hi Jez, I've just been watching some of the first Legs routines and for what it's worth these are my thoughts:
"Queen of my Soul" - a sensible choice since the song lends itself to choreography in which each of the newcomers could present herself in a calm unhurried fashion; a good pick for a debut.
"Jaws Theme" - an odd choice but the routine, such as it is, picks out the individuals rather than the group.
 "Rock 'n Me" - a good beat as they begin to step it up a little.
I haven't seen "Spinning Rock Boogie" or "Do You Feel Like We Do" and then comes "Maid in Heaven", 36th in the charts but a great choice for a powerhouse number and what an apposite song title for the girls.  With Sue leading the charge the message is loud and clear when you watch this one; "We have arrived and we're not just stopping for the next six months neither".
Disappointingly I don't have "Somebody to Love" as it would interesting to see how they follow up "Maid...." and I think the following weeks offerings were "Grandmas Party" and the equally odd "Portsmouth".

Re: legs and co debut

JEZ
yes suefan looking at it that way i suppose youre right but the songs didnt really appeal to me yes the routines were brill i would just preffered them to have danced to a tune that was at the top of the charts coz thats where legs and co deserved to be right there at the top along with the top stars of the day i mean who was hank c burnette when he was at home lol

Re: legs and co debut

Hank c Burnette unbelievably was a Swede, now where have i heard that before. Real name (Sven-Åke Kenneth Högberg). Yes Jez thats about it on the dude !

Re: legs and co debut

JEZ
well ryan whos a smarty pants now

Re: legs and co debut

Yes Jez I get your drift but I think Flick's more low key approach was a sensible one.  The last five routines from 1976 are also quite a diverse bunch.

Re: legs and co debut

PattiforPM
Just to clarify for me, I thought someone explained this process once already but wasn't Flick given a few songs to choose from.  I know she sometimes had to change last minute due to dropping chart positions too.  I somtimes think it's fun to speculate which dances were the "last minute" ones.  Certainly our dancers are less perfect in some of their performances adn I'm sure these are the ones where there simply wasn't enough rehearsal time.  For example "Because the Night" always makes me think of this and YMG mentioned "the Wanderer" (even though I know Ryan loves it and I do too for obvious reasons)

Re: legs and co debut

JEZ
yes p4pm i have always thought the same about because the night routine great song but to me the dance doesent seem to go with the song very well ,i do know when the new chart came out on tues if the song they were doing had dropped the pa would come along and say thats out heres the one you have got to do for tomorrow

Re: legs and co debut

JEZ
no thinking about it i dont think flick was given much of a choice with songs like she once said she had really dreadful songs sometimes tie a yellow ribbon ,monster mash ,get down and of course the smurfs and i dont think these were last minute put together routines you can tell by the choregraphy these were flicks choices of dreadful songs not mine .personally i liked most of these song i couldent wait to go to woolies in 1973 to buy my copy of monster mash for 45p
JEZ