message for ymg,ryan,p4pm,suefan,dave

JEZ
sorry but i can only ask you guys this question coz youre the only ones on this forum old enough to remember but here is a liitle sunday quiz on the 1970s look at my avitar picture for today who can remember or owned one of these you were a cool dude in the 70s if u had one of these trendy machines ,ive still got mine at my mums house shouldent think it still works now though after 30 odd years the first person to give the correct name for this little beuty wins a crackerjack pencil ,CRACKERJACK

Re: message for ymg,ryan,p4pm,suefan,dave

PattiforPM
You've got me Jez with this one but I had a radiocassette I used to stash under my car seat and play music and it darn near caused me to crash several times when changing the tape.  Maybe someone else know the answer

Re: message for ymg,ryan,p4pm,suefan,dave

Suefan
Got me stumped as well Jez.  From a distance it looks like something the SANDF used to make toast!

Re: message for ymg,ryan,p4pm,suefan,dave

Doubleday
Is it a Philips Laserdisc player ... the forerunner of CD and DVD

Re: message for ymg,ryan,p4pm,suefan,dave

JEZ
ive got a feelin dave will get this ,come on ryan answer the question what u think this machine is i want to change my pic

Re: message for ymg,ryan,p4pm,suefan,dave

Dave
Ok Jez..... I  will give it a go.....and probably get it wrong!!!! Is it an early 1970s portable record player with cassette and radio ?   If its not a toaster as suggested by Suefan is it a car batterey ?!?!    Dave.

Re: message for ymg,ryan,p4pm,suefan,dave

Beats me dude, looks some 70s Geiger counter to me ?? Better put us out of our misery.

Re: message for ymg,ryan,p4pm,suefan,dave

ok i want to change my picture the answer to what this machine is called is it is a discassette made by bush made in the early seventies, in 1973 they were 13 pound from our co-ops eletrical department the idea was they were portable worked by six batteries you dropped a single into the slot at thee top and it played your record it would also play a tape that is at the top of the machine the ad for the machine said you can take this machine anywhere on a picnic in the car or on a beach the discasette would still play if the machine was turned upside down or put on an angle ,i remember my sisters friend having one as well and dancing to it on blackpool beach in 1974 whils playing sylvias hit single y viva espana now theres a bit of useless info im sure you wanted know .

Re: message for ymg,ryan,p4pm,suefan,dave

Dave
WOW ! I want one !!!!   Dave

Re: message for ymg,ryan,p4pm,suefan,dave

Those vertical playing singles with beach sand on them must have lasted forever Jez!

Re: message for ymg,ryan,p4pm,suefan,dave

Young Mister Grace
SIX batteries! I bet they were gallumphing D2s as well, which must have made it a fairly hefty "portable" The word "luggable" comes ten years later, but seems apropriate.

YMG

Sent from my Osborne 1
You've all done vey well!

Re: message for ymg,ryan,p4pm,suefan,dave

JEZ
they were hp 11 batteries ymg if i remember correctly used to cost my mum and dad a fortune and yes p4pm dont think it could have been very sunny that day in blackpool with my sisters friend on blackpool beach  the sun wasnt to bad on the discassette they were pretty tough plastic but easy to carry but it did tend to warp the single if it was not removed when it had finished, i used mine on and off till 1985 took it pontins one year with my mates a bit of music in the chalet with a few cans of beer then over to the club happy days
JEZ