"Trademark" costume colours

Colm
Looking through the many routines on this blog got me thinking about how Pan's, and to a lesser extent, Legs and Co, often wore colour coded costumes on TOTP.

Through my own research so far, I think I've been able to pick out the regular, or "trademark" colours often worn by the main members of Pan's:

The original line-up:

Andi = White?

Babs = Blue

Dee Dee = Red/Pink

Flick = Orange?

Louise = Green

Ruth = Yellow

From what evidence of routines remain, it doesn't seem that subsequent PP girls stuck to the same colour scheme:

Cherry = Pink ("Nutbush City Limits", and if Dee Dee wore red ("You Won't Find Another Fool Like Me")), red (if Dee Dee wore pink (the end sequence on "In Concert")) lilac ("Love on a Mountain Top") or orange ("Johnny B Goode", "Disco Connection")

Sue = Green ("You Won't Find Another Fool Like Me"), biege ("Summertime City") or lilac ("Disco Connection")

Mary and Lee never seemed to have a set "colour" in the few routines of theirs that are intact.

Of course, there were occasions when Pan's dancers appeared in other colours than their "trademark" colour:

Babs = Orange as a secondary colour choice ("Mama's Pearl", "Nutbush City Limits")

Dee Dee = Seemed to alternate between red and pink with Cherry; wore green in "Summertime City"

Ruth = Purple as a secondary colour choice ("Get Down", the Chinese sequence in "In Concert", "You Won't Find Another Fool Like Me")

From the clips I've seen, Louise is rarely seen in anything other than green (she wears blue in "Mama's Pearl").

There is a similar trend among Legs and Co routines, but it's more convoluted and I'll leave that for tomorrow...

Re: "Trademark" costume colours

Suefan
I think you will find that the green goddess kept it going for a while in some of the Flipsters numbers but it fell away over time.

Re: "Trademark" costume colours

Interesting Col.  I think we all knew about the Louise green thing but I hadn't thought about the others' colours really.  You've obviously put some time into this and this theory about having coordinated second choice colours depending on another dancer is rather intricate and observant.  I can't recall as much predictability in Legs & Co as you imply but your input will be appreciated I'm sure.  What do others think about these colour preferences?

Re: "Trademark" costume colours

Suefan
Yes I'm sure Col is on the right track with Pans, while Sue keeps the little green touches going in some of her Flipper outfits.  The more varied routines and lines ups with Legs inevitably see it fall by the wayside.

Re: "Trademark" costume colours

Im no expert on Pans people, but on the black and white routine `Your so vain`does anybody know what colour dresses they were wearing ?

Re: "Trademark" costume colours

lulupatti&sue
I'm sure a member of Pans People said they had their trademark colours so people would know which member they were. If they didnt know their names. I could be wrong but I think it was on the I Love 1974 episode that was shown a few years ago.

Re: "Trademark" costume colours

Now, onto Legs and Co, and after watching as many routines as possible to pick out if they were any obvious "colour-coding" for the girls' costumes, I managed, somehow, to find one main outfit colour each dancer wore most frequently, and here it is:

Gill - pink
Lulu - blue
Patti - green
Pauline - yellow
Rosie - purple
Sue - red

The result is based on a sample of 25 routines during L&C's run on TOTP where an obvious element of each dancer's costume contains a particular unique colour:

"Maid in Heaven"
"December '63 (Oh What a Night)"
"Way Down" (I think the third routine)
"Getting Ready for Love"
"Turn To Stone"
"Dance Dance Dance (Yowsah Yowsah Yowsah)"
"I Feel Love" (Christmas 1977)
"Let's All Chant"
"Fantasy"
"You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)"
"Le Freak"
"Turn The Music Up"
"Silly Thing"
"After The Love Has Gone"
"Tusk"
"Jazz Carnival"
"And The Beat Goes On" (first routine)
"Together We Are Beautiful"
"Don't Push It, Don't Force It"
"The Groove"
"Fashion"
"Don't Walk Away"
"You Drive Me Crazy"
"Bermuda Triangle"
"Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart)"

The main identifiable colour was usually found in dresses or leotards, but in some instances, the top of their boots (cf. "Maid in Heaven").  Using a spreadsheet, I lined up the colour choices for each dancer in a table, and worked out which colour the girls dressed in the most times.

To quantify the final colour choice:

Gill appeared in pink 6 times in total
Lulu appeared in blue 7 times in total
Patti appeared in green 6 times in total
Pauline appeared in yellow 9 times in total
Rosie appeared in purple 9 times in total
Sue appeared in red 8 times in total

From the 25 chosen routines, Sue appeared in all 25; Gill and Rosie appeared in 24, Lulu appeared in 23, Pauline in 22 (her three non-appearances came after she left the troupe) and Patti in 21.  For the record, Anita appeared in 1; "Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart)" in a mainly grey/white costume which I've discounted as it was her only routine.

Some trends I noticed in my research:

The most varied choice of colours was worn by Patti; out of the routines, she also appeared dressed in yellow 5 times, orange 3 times and pink 3 times.  She also tended to alternate with yellow and orange outfits regularly with Pauline.

A few of the girls had leading second-choice colours: Gill appeared in green 5 times, and both Rosie and Sue appeared in blue 6 times each.

There you go, I'm now off to sit in a darkened room without dancing ladies in colour-coded costumes for the rest of the night

Re: "Trademark" costume colours

late night viewer
A fine statistical analysis Col, I certainly remember Rosie wearing purple in 'Bermuda Triangle' such a fun routine. Rosie for once is centre stage and sparkles in that number. So desirable swaying her "child bearing hips"...if I say anymore I would over step the bounds of decorum!

Re: "Trademark" costume colours

Before LNV oversteps those bounds I'll add a little to the "trademark costume colour" debate regards Legs & Co.
Thought I'd start at the beginning and see what the first nine months reveal if anything.  In total I believe there were 44 dances in that period of which this analysis is based on the 42 I've seen plus "Spinning Rock Boogie" which, although wiped and seemingly lost, we know the costumes.   In 30 of the dances the girls all wear the same, ignoring minor differences such as varying shades of the same colour, while of the others one is a Pauline solo (the first Legs solo therefore) and two are duets.  Another sees four of the girls dressed as fellas while Rosie swans around at the "Hotel California" which leaves just nine to consider.

Within those nine Sue manages to sport five different colours while Patti has six and Lulu four.  Pauline appears in four (if one counts cream and white as the same) but she is in yellow for four of the nine routines.  In similar vein Gill has four colours but is in blue for four of the dances, while Rosie favours red (five times) with two in blue and two in green.  When I've watched the remainder of 1977 I'll update this post as the sample is still rather small at the moment.

Re: "Trademark" costume colours

Suefan
Having now watched the second half of 1977 I think it fair to say that they proved almost as indecisive as the previous nine months, as in well over two thirds of all the dances the girls wore the same or very similar costumes.  In only about eight did they go for distinctly different colours.  Both Lulu and Rosie wore six different colours with Gill five.  However, Sue chose red for half of her costumes while Patti favoured yellow to the same degree which Pauline also favoured either yellow or orange on most occasions.  So there you have it, or don't as no clear pattern was set in the girls first 18 months on the show.  All that might be said is that the yellow or orange outfits were more likely to be worn by Patti or Pauline while Rosie's early affinity with red and Gill's with blue are not sustained.
Suefan