ruby flipper clip

JEZ
right ive finally tracked down my totp 40 th anniversry dvd and on the dancing queens section loads of clips of all the totp dance troupes done with the totp theme tune over it i recognise all of the routines exept one of ruby flipper that i told carl about this one has two gold palm trees on in one corner some kind of blue water scenery behind and cherry floyd sue and philip dancing in a row is this one ruby flipper i have missed on you tube can anyone shed any light on this performance cheers

Re: ruby flipper clip

Floid Fan
Thanks a lot for this Jez. Exciting news!! I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to dig this out and letting us know more about the mysterious RF routine. Let's see if we can do some detective work through logical elimination to narrow the options down a bit more. (Though I suppose there's good odds that it's 'Heart on my Sleeve'- I think Suefan said the one remaining Flipper routine the Beeb have that we haven't seen was this one)
Hey Jez, I don't suppose there was any over-literal evidence of any big hearts sewn onto people's sleeves was there?
Let's review the evidence: Two gold palm trees, blue water, Cherry Sue Floyd and Philip dancing in a row.
Carl

Re: ruby flipper clip

Suefan
Hi Carl, I had a note about "Heart on my Sleeve" but now cannot find it so can't remember if it was amongst a few shows returned to the beeb in 2009.  Who was the dj that night, do we know?

Re: ruby flipper clip

Floid Fan
Well Cherry being there doesn't help us, as she didn't leave until after all the 5 missing routines were originally broadcast.
 The really key point here could be that GAVIN IS NOT IN THE CLIP, so can we presume that this routine occurred after he left the group?- in which case, quite excitingly that narrows the choice down to two routines: 'Afternoon delight  and 'Doina de Jale.' Now if like me, you have listened to 'Doina de Jale' on youtube, you will know how depressing and funereal that tune is with lots of mournful wailing panpipe music. It is a slow tedious depressing dirge and there is absolutely NO CHANCE that the Flipsters were dancing to that tune on the routine Jez describes, with happy gold palm trees and blue sea. I think the odds have now dramatically shortened on the unknown Ruby Flipper routine on the TOTP 40th Anniversary
video being: AFTERNOON DELIGHT!!!!! - also seems to tie in with the evidence of luxurious gold palm trees and blue sea. What do you reckon?
Carl

Re: ruby flipper clip

Suefan
Have now found my note - problem with the tape meant it did not go to Eins but might not have precluded using a snippet in a comp.  Don't think that the lack of any of the Flipper is much of a guide though, given the way Flick used to mix and match.

Re: ruby flipper clip

Floid Fan
Thanks for that info Suefan.
Yes, I suppose Gavin might have had a week off, but it was unusual for individual guys to get a week off.
Mmm. The plot thickens. I have another key bit of info we need to know: What was Floyd's hair like in this routine? If he DOESN'T have his stars and stripes, then it is probably NOT  'Afternoon Delight' as RF also did 'You Should be Dancing' on the same show.....and we know that Floyd has his infamous hairstyle that week.
Carl

Re: ruby flipper clip

Floid Fan
This post was updated on .
Also I think we can cross off 'Leader of the Pack' as a contender. Surely that screams out 'leather jackets' and a motorbike rather than a desert island and palm trees.
Jez, how fast did the Flipsters seem to be dancing in this clip. 'Heart on my Sleeve' and 'A little Bit More' are very slow melodies and rather smoochy.
Carl

Re: ruby flipper clip

Floid Fan
Or am I just barking up the wrong palm tree and what Jez has on that compilation, is just a small snippet of what Suefan knows the Beeb have in an imperfect state: Heart On my Sleeve.
Carl

Re: ruby flipper clip

JEZ
hi carl im gonna stick my neck out and go for afternoon delight it came to mind when i saw the clip beach palm tree smooth song i dont trust the archives i think a lot more material is available than it states every database states pans peoples clips of walkin in the rain and finders keepers are missing and the bbc have shown snippets of both these clips on various nostalgia programmes

Re: ruby flipper clip

Sorry for the distraction but Carl you're really making me look forward to seeing this Doina de Jale!! Wonder if they had the stage done up as a crematorium? Actually the pan pipes make me think of llamas on Peruvian hillside.  Perhaps the tables were turned and we could finally see LuSu the llama.

Re: ruby flipper clip

Suefan
I see another line for enquiry as to how often Legs (and Ruby) donned animal costumes.  Pans don't seem to have indulged in this activity anywhere near as often.

Re: ruby flipper clip

Floid Fan
Jez,
could you do me a big favour? Can you just have a quick look at that clip again and see what Floyd's hair is like? If he doesn't have those obtrusive white splodges in it (do you know what I mean ? See 'You should be Dancing' and 'Let Em In', i.e. if it's normal Floyd) then I think it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that this is 'Afternoon Delight for a key reason explained above. Floyd's hair looks to hold the key to virtually eliminating the clip being Afternoon Delight or keeping it in the running.
Cheers
Carl

Re: ruby flipper clip

JEZ
hi carl yes i will look again but dont think the unusual bit in his hair is on this but believe me this means nothing a lot of the dancers clips were not always done in the totp half hour some were done earlier in the day especially the 2 in 1 dance routines where one part is shot in 1 costume then another clip on the same routine is shot in another costume plus floyds hair is only the wash out spray stuff so if afternoon delight was done on an afternoon shoot you should be dancing was done in the totp recording of the show with the audience later in the day

Re: ruby flipper clip

Floid Fan
This post was updated on .
perhaps.
He seemed to have kept that stars and stripes hairstyle for a couple of weeks. I take your point that the two routines could have been recorded in different parts of the day and he put that spray on it between the two. However..... if you go along with my hypothesis that he had the stars and stripes hairstyle for the whole day, that I think ELIMINATES 'Afternoon Delight' if he doesn't have his notorious hairstyle.
I was just stepping back and thinking even more logically. If that TOTP DVD came out in the 2000s, i.e. 30 years after the event,
it was made long after ALL THOSE ROUTINES were wiped. Suefan has stated that the only other RF performance in existence is 'Heart on my Sleeve' which wasn't passed to Einsfestival. So do you think the beach routine could actually be 'Heart on My sleeve', after all Jez? It's a very slow song that could conjure up images of lazing on a beach.
Do you have the song on DVD or cassette? Being even more inventive, you could always play it against the clip and see if the dance moves match the music. Ingenious or what?
Carl

Re: ruby flipper clip

Floid Fan
God knows what the dance was to 'Doina de Jale.' Can't imagine it was a whole troupe routine. Hey, Ryan, just had a thought. Maybe this or one of the other missing routines was Sue's solo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now's you chance to say her solo was 'Leader of the Pack.' Go on I bet you're tempted. But don't forget, if you do that some impartial observers might then point out that Sue claims Patti is the 'Best in the World' in the Shake your Booty video.
Carl

Re: ruby flipper clip

JEZ
like i say carl a lot of performances that are stated to be wiped are not . pheraps the whole shows are not complete but there are plenty of so called lost clips floating around take pans people performances for
aint no sunshine -micheal jackson
backstabbers -o jays
finders keepers -chairman of the board
walkin in the rain- partridge family
non of the databases say these clips survive but both itv and bbc have showed brief clips of these over the last few years on tributes to pp on shows like reindeer rock ,i love 1974 and schofields xmas gold also many of stated missing totp clips were shown on mike reads pop quiz like lookin thru the windows and stealers wheel stuck in the middle which incidentally was on the same show as pp dancing to walkin in the rain so at least 2 clips from the same show are available even though the database state wiped

Re: ruby flipper clip

JEZ
i would imagine the donna song was a solo

Re: ruby flipper clip

Floid Fan
Well that's a good point Jez.
Re this RF clip in the 40th anniversary DVD, when you put it all together, what have we got. We can summarize the following possibilities:

Hypothesis One: It could be 'Heart on my Sleeve' (presuming Gavin had a week off, that week)
Hypothesis Two: It could be 'A little Bit More' (also presuming Gavin had a week off, that week)
Hypothesis Three: It could be 'Afternoon Delight' ( Afternoon delight broadcast after Gavin had left RF and Gavin isn't in this clip)
Hypothesis Four: It may NOT be 'Afternoon Delight' if Floyd's hair is without the stars and stripes in this clip.

The beach scenery and gold palm trees suggest 'Doina de Jale' (Just listen to it!) and 'Leader of the Pack' are far less likely candidates.
You pays your money and you takes your choice: Heart on my Sleeve?? or A Little Bit More?? or Afternoon Delight??

Carl

Re: ruby flipper clip

Yes Carl i do realise Sue points at Patti and mouths the words `Your the best in the world`. But for some reason ive never felt the need to bring this up before, hoping nobody noticed !

Re: ruby flipper clip

Just a minor point of clarification.  A little beebie told that they knew they had the 'Heart on my Sleeve' show.  They may also have others but if so they don't know that they have them.  To give them their due, they don't deliberately sit on material, but if things are not where they should be they can't send out search parties just on the off-chance of finding stuff.